Should we bow before a retired bishop?

Hello, tomorrow I am serving a confirmation Mass with our retired bishop since our regular bishop is busy.

Would it be customary for us to bow before the retired bishop? Yes, he was retired from our diocese. Not an outside bishop.

Thank you.

=======Side Question======
I will be attending a Latin Mass with my mother, who is not Catholic.
Does my mom need a woman’s head clothe as before VII?

Thanks.

=JD27076;10747057]Hello, tomorrow I am serving a confirmation Mass with our retired bishop since our regular bishop is busy.

Would it be customary for us to bow before the retired bishop? Yes, he was retired from our diocese. Not an outside bishop.

Thank you.

=======Side Question======
I will be attending a Latin Mass with my mother, who is not Catholic.
Does my mom need a woman’s head clothe as before VII?

Thanks.

YES:thumbsup:

He’s STILL a Bishop in Gods view and in the understanding of the RCC:)

Agreed!

Yes. As has already been said, he's a bishop, and it makes no difference it makes no difference if he's the Ordinary of one diocese, the Ordinary of another diocese, a curial bishop, or an auxiliary bishop. Nor does it matter if he's active or retired. In all cases, he is entitled to the traditional reverence.

Not really (BUUUT: Chapel veils are really cool and should be revived as a pious custom/tradition — many if not all of the women at the Holy Latin Mass wear chapel veils) , as the 1983 Code of Canon Law doesn’t require but read what Canon Law expert Raymond Cardinal Burke (<---- He’s awesome!!!) has to say about this matter: wdtprs.com/blog/2011/04/card-burke-on-women-covering-their-heads-in-church/
:thumbsup:

P.S. The Latin Mass is extremely awesome and not many people see that… take advantage of it!!!
:crossrc:
:crossrc::crossrc::crossrc:

I kneel on my left knee and kiss his ring as a sign of respect for his office and say hello my lord

This is the traditional and preferred way of greeting a Bishop.

Thank you holyfamily1

Blimey, i have never bowed or kissed a bishops ring!

Never knew one should do that? Only when i have received Holy Communion from one.

A bow at the waist, greeting him as “Your Excellency” is customary. If you feel so moved, you could genuflect on the left knee and kiss his ring, but many modern bishops think this is tiresome and unnecessary on most occasions.

=Aran Houlihan;10747314]I kneel on my left knee and kiss his ring as a sign of respect for his office and say hello my lord

WHY the left Knee::shrug:

And the correct term is “Your excellency”:slight_smile:

Still your DOING GOOD!

God Bless you

Because the right knee is reserved. Notice, for example, how one genuflects to the reserved Sacrament. On the right knee. :slight_smile:

Well, yes, but only in the US. IIRC, in the UK and elsewhere in the anglophone world, a bishop is generally referred to as “Your Lordship” which is quite in keeping with the Italian (monsignore) and French (monseigneur). Again IIRC, an Archbishop, in UK usage, is titled “Your Grace” (which is generally what the East and Orient uses for a bishop in English, bit I digress).

The last person who called our bishop “my lord” - a deacon from another country - got quite a lecture from the bishop on how there was only one Lord, and it wasn’t him.

I think this is the traditional reverence for the ordinary of a diocese, so it could be omitted for auxiliary or visiting bishops (though of course the latter should be shown proper respect also).

=malphono;10747710]Because the right knee is reserved. Notice, for example, how one genuflects to the reserved Sacrament. On the right knee. :slight_smile:

Well, yes, but only in the US. IIRC, in the UK and elsewhere in the anglophone world, a bishop is generally referred to as “Your Lordship” which is quite in keeping with the Italian (monsignore) and French (monseigneur). Again IIRC, an Archbishop, in UK usage, is titled “Your Grace” (which is generally what the East and Orient uses for a bishop in English, bit I digress).

THANKS!:smiley:

I didn’t know that:blush:

[quote="PJM, post:11, topic:326425"]
WHY the left Knee::shrug:

And the correct term is "Your excellency":)

Still your DOING GOOD!

God Bless you

[/quote]

In England we say my lord for a bishop

Me neither. Every bishop I’ve met has held out his hand & I shook it. :smiley:

If you bow before recieving, you should be bowing to our Lord, not the bishop.

You are correct. Though in Canada we mix the two models. Bishops are “your excellency”, but archbishops are “your grace”. In British Columbia, the metropolitan archbishop of Vancouver and the Ukrainian Eparch of New Westminster are both “your grace”. The remaining four ordinaries in the province are “your excellency”.

=Bonnie;10750496]Me neither. Every bishop I’ve met has held out his hand & I shook it. :smiley:

If you bow before recieving, you should be bowing to our Lord, not the bishop.

MY FRIEND,

In bowing before the Bishop one IS Bowing to “our Lord”; that is WHO represents HIM [God willing] here on earth.:slight_smile:

I’ll be seeing the Bishop in a few weeks - I’ll ask him about it. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.