Should we love this life: Where is that in the bible?

My contention that we ought not take pleasure in the things of this world and not love this miserable and corrupt life is based on several sources:

Holy Scripture:
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.
-John 12:25

Catholic prayer:
Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us and after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!

Testimony of a Great Saint:
*The Golden Key to Heaven
by Saint Anthony Mary Claret

The death of the just: Death will reach everyone, the good and the bad; but the destiny of each one is quite different. The just man sees himself in this valley of tears as a prisoner, serving a very hard term. He considers himself a slave in this world, suffering an extremely distressing servitude. He regards himself a sailor caught in a horrible storm. And as death means an end of his confinement, an end of his slavery, and is the port of his salvation, he ceases not to cry with David, “Woe is me that my sojourning is prolonged!. . .” (Ps. 119:5). He ceases not to ask with the Apostle, “. . . Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” (Rom. 7:24)*

Orthodox Judaism:
Refraining from indulging in the pleasures of this world is only a fine preparation for avoda (service of G-d). Avoda itself is transforming the physical into a vehicle for G-dliness
– Hayom Yom, Sivan 17

Go overboard on that philosophy and it’s called Gnosticism.

Why is this view expressed so freely in the religious references if it does not contain truth?

Clinging to passing things and seeking them before God is what is meant by the phrase “loving this life.”
There is nothing wrong with enjoying our friendships, recreation and our food. It is when these things come between us and God is what makes them wrong.

I need to aspire to put God first in all things and to thank him for my blessings and joys. A healthy detachment is needed, but not a neurotic fear of enjoying the good things He gives us.

Reading “The Story of a Soul” by Therese of Lisieux, and getting to know her joyous disposition in spite of suffering, is truly a holy way to love one’s life, and always have the good pleasure of the Lord be first in our heart.

Out of context but…

John 10:10

“I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”

We shouldn’t be attached to the “material things” of this world because they end up consuming our time, talent and money is ways that are neither good for us, our faith in God, or our faith community.

It takes a conversion of heart, mind and soul toward God’s beauty, truth and good in order to fully understand that process.

I do reject your description of this life as “miserable and corrupt”. Yes, some people have chosen that path, but that’s not true of all, everywhere.

You should not love this life but we should try to enjoy it and you should apreciate it as a gift and be thankful for it. You can enjoy it but dont be attached to it. Love Jesus above all. Dont love life so much as to fear death. You may enjoy this life but always remember that we will not be here forever we have a home and we will be returning soon.

In Thomas A Kempis’ (A Catholic Monk) Book “Imitation of Christ” He talks about not fearing death and not loving this life a lot. He says “For if you are not ready to die today you wont tomorrow.”

Enjoy Life but keep focused on the next which is MUCH Better.

I believe that the more pleasure we sacrifice for God’s sake the more righteous we have become. Spiritual pleasures, and delight toward the World-to-Come, are always to be appreciated. However, even, St John of the Cross warned about the dangers of the addiction to spiritual pleasures, and warned against enjoying them in excess.

Please don’t intellectualize, but do quote the Scriptures, prayers, and the words of Saints on why we should love this life!

St Paul writes how Jesus’ Resurrection has created a pathway to heaven while we live here on Earth. St. John writes of it also in his Gospel and in Revelation.

For that reason alone, in the right spiritual mindset, we have reason to love this life.

I’ll quote chapter and verse the next time I log in.

I’m no Bible scholar, but I have a couple of passages to offer for your consideration:

Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. (Matt. 6:28-29)

This suggests that Christ appreciated the beauty of the natural world.

Also, in John 11, we are told that Christ wept because Lazarus had died. I think this suggests that Christ valued life and felt it was a sad thing when someone died before his time.

I am of the opinion that we should enjoy God’s creation and appreciate His many gifts but we should also realize that they are just a hint at what is to come.

Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. James 1:17

As posters have said, we must try not to become attached to things of this world and we must let nothing come before God in our hearts. We need to focus on God’s Kingdom rather than the passing illusions of this world.

Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.” James 4:4

“Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence”. John 18:36

I think these examples are a far cry from endorsing the view that we ought to love this life. For example, Jesus’ mourning the dead does not imply that one should love this life.

Maybe I don’t understand your contention? As you said above, “My contention that we ought not take pleasure in the things of this world and not love this miserable and corrupt life …”

I guess there’s two parts to this. First is whether we should “take pleasure in the things of this world.” I think the two passages from Scripture that I quoted speak to this contention.

Second is whether we should “love this miserable and corrupt life.” I agree that the two passages above don’t show that we should love life. But I think they support the view that we should not hate life, either.

Why would God take almost 13 billion years creating a Universe, an Earth, and intelligent life upon it - and then - want us to hate the life He created?

There was a tragedy in the Garden of Eden that requires that we now be saved from the things of this world. The goal is salvation, and the inheritance of Heaven! As conveyed in the writings of Saint Anthony Mary Claret, we are slaves in this world! Imagine that, slaves!

We’ve are already saved through the Sacrifice and Resurrection of Jesus even while we live here on Earth. It’s our personal responsibility to take this life and offer our sacrifices back through that conduit.

Honestly Robert, your continued hatred of what God has given you, is morbid.

I’m new to Christianity, so take my opinions with a grain of salt!

How can it be that the Lord did not mean for us to take joy and pleasure in all that He created??? I can’t explain the joy of feeling this little boy move inside my body, knowing my husband and I made him, with God’s help, in love. I am happiest cuddling with our four children more than I can say. God gave us creativity for beautiful paintings and music. Step outside and see these leaves that are gold, red, green, yellow… Think how perfect our bodies are made and how functional.

There is beauty everywhere. I know I’ve run across Scripture over and over that plainly tells us the Lord delights, as a good parent, in seeing us enjoy our lives and environment.

I’m certain of few things, but this is something I know to my core. :slight_smile:

We are not guaranteed a place in Heaven until the day of judgment (see Revelations).

It’s even more morbid that you love this miserable and corrupt life. Just take a look around you with all the crimes. This is not a world to be enjoyed (but we should be overjoyed in our worship of God).

Can you back your position up with quotes from the Holy Bible, Catholic prayers, or writings of a great Saint the way I do in my OP?

Another point to consider is that, according to the Apostles’ Creed, one article of our belief is “the resurrection of the body.” Our bodies can’t be all bad if part of God’s plan is to rejoin the blessed souls with their bodies at the Final Judgment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.