Should we seek prayers from people of different faiths

A thread on another sub forum here brought this issue to mind.

I often have friends of various faiths request prayers.

When this happens what do you do?

Do you solicit prayers from people of other faiths?

If you do, do you feel that is participating in or validating their faith?

Do you feel comfortable when a person of a different faith tells you they are praying for you?

I expect this would be less of an issue if the prayers were coming from someone in a similar faith, such as Protestants praying to God/Christ on a Catholic’s behalf. But what about someone who follows a very different religion?

Protestants, how would you feel is a Catholic friend said they were bringing your situation to the Virgin Mary or a saint for help?

I welcome prayers from anyone who offers them up in a spirit of love and a desire to help. There is only one God who hears the prayers of all humanity offered up from a compassionate and merciful heart.

I only ask fellow muslims to pray for me because that’s what is consistent with orthodox Islam. “The believing men and believing women are allies of one another. They enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and establish prayer and give zakah and obey Allah and His Messenger…” (Qur’an 9;71). I’d be happy to make dua for anyone really; I don’t know why a non-muslim would ever ask me to do it, but whatever, I’d happily oblige.

It sort-of bothers me when someone of another faith tells me that they’ll pray for me, because I know what they’ll be praying to-- something other than Allah. The one exception would be a jewish person, because they believe in the same God as muslims do (and this is acknowledged on both sides). They believe in the oneness of Allah [tawheed], so it wouldn’t bother me if a jew told me that he/she would pray for me. There are situations where I would pray with a jew.

I have no problem with prayers, offered in Love, from any quarter.

Peace
James

I would only be comfortable with Christians praying for me, Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant only. I would also be okay with anyone of Abrahamic faith (Jews and Muslims also) to pray for me.

The problem for me would be, say, a Hindu or a Sikh praying for me, because, IMO, they are praying to demons, not to God.

Scripture to backup what I believe -

(D-R) Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils: but the Lord made the heavens.

(D-R) Deuteronomy 32:17 They sacrificed to devils and not to God: to gods whom they knew not: that were newly come up, whom their fathers worshipped not.

(D-R) 1 Corinthians 10:20 But the things which the heathens sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God. And I would not that you should be made partakers with devils.

21 You cannot drink the chalice of the Lord, and the chalice of devils: you cannot be partakers of the table of the Lord, and of the table of devils.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.