Should we support Susan G Komen?

Hello,

I hope this is the correct category to post this question. I need advice on what I think is a complicated moral question.

In short: Is it morally acceptable to support the Susan G Komen charity?

Background: It came to my attention that Komen gives to Planned Parenthood, and doing further research, I found an article on their site confirming this, but saying that the money only goes to breast cancer education and screening for underprivileged people where Planned Parenthood is the only option. I have since found conflicting articles on the subject, and the closest thing to a statement from the Church was the Arkansas Diocese backing away from statements made by Komen.

My intention for supporting Susan G Komen is for breast cancer awarness, but learning that they give to Planned Parenthood has caused some confusion. Does the principle of double effect come into play here?

To further explain my dilemma: My wife and I attended a charity event where the primary charity was a local group of folks that did all sorts of charity in the community. One of the events they were planning to do is the Komen 3 day race. Before going, we mentioned this charity event to my in-laws and we were chastised because we were going to support abortions. Obviously, this left us with a very confused and sinking feeling.

Please help!

Check out this article. :thumbsup:

You might be interested in reading this thread from a whttp://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=500530eek or two ago:

You might want to read this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=500530

I don't think there's any way to support Susan G. Komen as long as they are giving even a penny to planned parenthood. Even though PP says they are using it for breat cancer research, the money they get frees up funds that will go towards abortion. Every extra dollar they recieve from you through Susan G. Komen adds to their operating budget. The more money they have, the more abortions they can do. As one of the links said, a large percentage of the money given to PP goes to pay employees and maintain abortion clinics, etc. Not all of the money actually goes towards cancer research.

Thank you all for the insight and links. I'm curious why my search for Komen on these forums came up with nothing... but that's besides the point.

Anyway, I have a couple follow up questions:

1. What other breast cancer charities can we get behind?

2. Does wearing pink automatically say I'm supporting Susan G Komen?

3. What about the laundry list of other companies that support Planned Parenthood? Where can I get a current list? One that I found had TONS of companies that I use every day in my life. Of course, my intention is NOT to support PP - so what's the moral principle here? How do you avoid these companies? For example, I'm using a computer that has parts with about 5 companies listed (most PCs do)...

Thoughts?

You know what you can do? Instead of worrying about every single company that might be tied to PP in some way...

Find a local 40 Days for Life group and go down to the PP or other abortuary and pray.

40daysforlife.com

Or better yet, do both - try to keep from giving them any more of your money AND help us stand up for the unborn!

P.S. The Komen foundation does not OWN the color pink! Makes me angry that people even think that's true.

There is a list…but it only exists in the minds of those who made it. The Vatican doesn’t have a list, the Pope didn’t give Catholics a list. But oddly enough…there is one somewhere:shrug:.

Wal-Mart was selling pink items and there was a cry of “BOYCOTT” Wal-Mart all over CAF.
Starbucks was another victim of the “boycott” mentality. Ford and McDonald’s have also been in the “boycott” fever of paranoia.

Should you boycott a business because the cashier, the secretary, the janitor, the teacher, the medical records clerk at these businesses support Susan G. Komen for the cure? Not too far fetched now is it? After all, these folks are “employed” and making money off of you and in turn are donating part of their wages to Susan G. Komen. But then again, you don’t know that, however it is likely these folks support things that you don’t like. Did you see your favorite newscaster in a Pink t shirt, participating in a run/walk for Susan G. Komen. Do you now despise her?

See how crazy this can get? You may as well start looking for a cave to live in. Don’t ever go to your local Cinema 10 again, because that same theater is showing an R rated sex fest next door to the movie you are watching and on the other side is showing the DaVinci Code and Harry Potter. Your money is going to that theater. The popcorn you are buying is supporting that theater. Do you know how many movie companies Disney owns? Quite a lot. Oh, and forget Disney World/Land, they sponsor insurance benefits for same sex couples and so does Uncle Sam (civil service).

I would like to see those who are so paranoid of Susan G. Komen, to take their money and open their own FREE breast cancer screenings for those who cannot afford it. PP is about the only place the poor (in large cities) can go to get screened for breast cancer and Susan G. Komen charity provides the funding so women can go. It is not for abortions.

I will never understand why ppl come to CAF and ask “permission” to give to a charity, what car to drive, what coffee to drink, what music to listen to, what books to read, what the sexual preference is of their real estate agent, what restaurant to go to, et al ad nauseum.:rolleyes:

Use your God given common sense. Not one human being who answers you is above reproach. They don’t know what is in your heart, and they shouldn’t.

Dare to think for yourself.

OUTSTANDING advice!!! :thumbsup:

Exactly. And the one organization that does publish a list REFUSES to publicly state their criteria for making the list, and any history for business that end up on their list. :rolleyes: So who knows how they come up with this stuff, and yet there are tons of Catholics who live and die by it. Really an example of a total lack of using one’s “God given common sense” if I ever saw one.

~Liza

I heartily disagree with you here. I think the Komen Foundation should not be supporting Planned Parenthood - there is some research that shows an increase in the risk for breast cancer after an abortion. That would make it at the very least a conflict of interest. And as another poster said, any money PP gets will in some way go to support the killing of babies, since that is their bread and butter. I would not support Komen in any way. I don’t think PP does any kind of breast screening - maybe in an exam if you are getting ABC.

[quote="gerard89, post:6, topic:217028"]
Thank you all for the insight and links. I'm curious why my search for Komen on these forums came up with nothing... but that's besides the point.

Anyway, I have a couple follow up questions:

1. What other breast cancer charities can we get behind?

2. Does wearing pink automatically say I'm supporting Susan G Komen?

3. What about the laundry list of other companies that support Planned Parenthood? Where can I get a current list? One that I found had TONS of companies that I use every day in my life. Of course, my intention is NOT to support PP - so what's the moral principle here? How do you avoid these companies? For example, I'm using a computer that has parts with about 5 companies listed (most PCs do)...

Thoughts?

[/quote]

bdfund.org/breastcancerorgs.asp
Here is a link to breast cancer foundations that are pro-life.

There are several sites that do offer a list of companies that fund abortion and yes it it extensive. Personally, I try to find alternatives to the companies I would normally use most. I do what I can, whenever I can, with the money we have but I don't think there is any feasible way to totally avoid being involved with companies that fund PP. But if there is a way that is clear, such as the prolife organizations in the link I provided and I can avoid being involved with companies and charities such as Koman, I have no problem doing so. Even better when its a charity that involves such a deadly disease and all the money should be going to just that cause, not to funding PP. You can't tell me they couldn't have found another way for breast cancer screenings that didn't involve PP.

When Archbishop Burke was in St. Louis, he sent out a note asking us to not support Komen because of the money going to Planned parenthood. This past year we got a note about it reiterating that.

If the money goes to breast exams, then that frees up money for abortions.

And the pill also is connected to breast cancer.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:10, topic:217028"]
I heartily disagree with you here. I think the Komen Foundation should not be supporting Planned Parenthood - there is some research that shows an increase in the risk for breast cancer after an abortion. That would make it at the very least a conflict of interest. And as another poster said, any money PP gets will in some way go to support the killing of babies, since that is their bread and butter. I would not support Komen in any way. I** don't think PP does any kind of breast screening - **maybe in an exam if you are getting ABC.

[/quote]

You know this as fact? What is the research? Who did the research? It is proven that ABC with extended use could cause blood clots, stroke, heart disease and breast cancer. It also messes with your mind. How do I know this? I experienced it first hand. And anywho, this discussion is about SGK not ABC. It is the law of the land that a woman and a man can purchase ABC. Welcome to America. I don't think SGK is losing sleep because you think they should not give money to PP for "breast cancer screenings".

You missed the whole point of "boycotting". If you did your research correctly you would find that our tax dollars go to many things that you/I may disagree with. I know 5 women who have benefitted from SGK and are now in remission. SGK doesn't corner the market on pink. The pink ribbon is for breast cancer and many other cancers.

I have suggested on this forum many times, the best way to combat PP is to open a maternity home right next door or across the street from a clinic. I supported a maternity home and saved many babies including my own daughter's. (she placed the baby for adooption, to a Catholic couple). This is where the rubber meets the road.

To deny poor women from preventative cancer screenings poses the question....ok, where do they go now?

[quote="Julianna, post:13, topic:217028"]
You know this as fact? What is the research? Who did the research? It is proven that ABC with extended use could cause blood clots, stroke, heart disease and breast cancer. It also messes with your mind. How do I know this? I experienced it first hand. And anywho, this discussion is about SGK not ABC. It is the law of the land that a woman and a man can purchase ABC. Welcome to America. I don't think SGK is losing sleep because you think they should not give money to PP for "breast cancer screenings".

You missed the whole point of "boycotting". If you did your research correctly you would find that our tax dollars go to many things that you/I may disagree with. I know 5 women who have benefitted from SGK and are now in remission. SGK doesn't corner the market on pink. The pink ribbon is for breast cancer and many other cancers.

I have suggested on this forum many times, the best way to combat PP is to open a maternity home right next door or across the street from a clinic. I supported a maternity home and saved many babies including my own daughter's. (she placed the baby for adooption, to a Catholic couple). This is where the rubber meets the road.

To deny poor women from preventative cancer screenings poses the question....ok, where do they go now?

[/quote]

Here is a link to many organizations that have material and data supporting the link between abortions and breast cancer: abortionbreastcancer.com/medicalgroups/index.htm

I can see you are very passionate about breast cancer screenings and you seem to have some loved ones that are survivors. But what I don't understand why you are so angry that some of us do not want to support PP and any of their partners. You seem to almost be incessed that some of us have the gall to even support each other in avoiding certain companies if we can. If you do not like the idea of "boycotting", that's your opinion. But please don't belittle those of us that do feel the need to boycott and ask questions about companies that we really would like to avoid if we can. Some of us feel very strongly not supporting PP if we can at all possibly avoid doing so.

[quote="PatriceA, post:14, topic:217028"]
Here is a link to many organizations that have material and data supporting the link between abortions and breast cancer: abortionbreastcancer.com/medicalgroups/index.htm

I can see you are very passionate about breast cancer screenings and you seem to have some loved ones that are survivors. But what I don't understand why you are so angry that some of us do not want to support PP and any of their partners. You seem to almost be incessed that some of us have the gall to even support each other in avoiding certain companies if we can. If you do not like the idea of "boycotting", that's your opinion. B*ut please don't belittle those of us that do feel the need to boycott and ask questions about companies that we really would like to avoid if we can.* Some of us feel very strongly not supporting PP if we can at all possibly avoid doing so.

[/quote]

You are absolutely correct. If you keep digging, you will find a connection between the toast you ate this morning and PP, because perhaps the Sunbeam Bread company gave a huge donation to Susan G. Komen and the Land o Lakes butter company did too along with Smuckers and further down, is the farmer that made the butter for Land o Lakes, the strawberry farm where Smuckers gets their strawberries, down to the fertilizer company that provided earth friendly fertilizer. Just look at all the pink ribbons on products use everyday. Another poster was correct that just because it's a pink ribbon doesn't mean it's SGK. However, read the little * next to the pink ribbon on the food product, the designer jeans label, the soft drink bottle, the energy powder drinks, the school supplies, pencils, pens, lunch boxes, notebooks..........9 times out of 10, it's for SGK. And the good thing is, people with cancer are getting help. For me, that is the bottom line.:shrug:

[quote="lizaanne, post:9, topic:217028"]
And the one organization that does publish a list REFUSES to publicly state their criteria for making the list, and any history for business that end up on their list. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

If it's the same organization I am thinking of, you get the "BOYCOTT LIST" when you make a donation to them. If it's so morally imperative to boycott these businesses, they should make this available for free.

[quote="Julianna, post:15, topic:217028"]
You are absolutely correct. If you keep digging, you will find a connection between the toast you ate this morning and PP, because perhaps the Sunbeam Bread company gave a huge donation to Susan G. Komen and the Land o Lakes butter company did too along with Smuckers and further down, is the farmer that made the butter for Land o Lakes, the strawberry farm where Smuckers gets their strawberries, down to the fertilizer company that provided earth friendly fertilizer. Just look at all the pink ribbons on products use everyday. Another poster was correct that just because it's a pink ribbon doesn't mean it's SGK. However, read the little * next to the pink ribbon on the food product, the designer jeans label, the soft drink bottle, the energy powder drinks, the school supplies, pencils, pens, lunch boxes, notebooks..........9 times out of 10, it's for SGK. And the good thing is, people with cancer are getting help. For me, that is the bottom line.:shrug:

[/quote]

I already said in a previous post that it is next to impossible to avoid all connections to companies that support PP. But when you do have a very obvious choice to choose between a company that shuttles funds to PP or a company that is pro-life, such as the National Breast Cancer Foundation, the choice is very obvious to me. Same as when I order a pizza, its Domino's every time. There are clear cut pro-life choices out there to be made with the almighty dollar.

[quote="Julianna, post:13, topic:217028"]

[/quote]

WOOAAHH!! - let it be known that my previous post in agreement with you ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT agree with your support of SGK. There is no excuse whatsoever for providing one single penny to PP - I don't care what it's for. They give them money for mammograms and that frees up other funds for them to kill babies. Sorry - I refuse.

[quote="Norseman82, post:16, topic:217028"]
If it's the same organization I am thinking of, you get the "BOYCOTT LIST" when you make a donation to them. If it's so morally imperative to boycott these businesses, they should make this available for free.

[/quote]

While I agree in principle, a business has to make a buck, so I don't begrudge them asking to be paid for their service. People don't work for free. I just question their practices - that's all. And this is my OWN personal opinion.

~Liza

Just wanted to say that planned parent hood has done great things, helped manyyyyyyy people and educated tons. Its not 'hell' like most christians think. Sure, not everything they do there is great, but thats a typical business for you. There is evil in all business.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:19, topic:217028"]
Just wanted to say that planned parent hood has done great things, helped manyyyyyyy people and educated tons. Its not 'hell' like most christians think. Sure, not everything they do there is great, but thats a typical business for you. There is evil in all business.

[/quote]

Just wanted to say that Mussolini made the trains run on time, and the Nazis put Germans back to work...they helped manyyyyyyy. Sure, not everything they did was great...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.