Should we watch movies or media with swearing?

I mean, certain topics really can’t be portrayed in a family friendly way. I remember someone once criticizing The Exorcist because it had “disturbing, blasphemous imagery.” It’s like, well, yeah. It’s a movie about it demonic possession. That kinda comes with the territory. It’s like complaining that a war movie is violent.

8 Likes

I don’t like to watch movies with blasphemy (i.e. what I consider blasphemy by my standards).

I don’t mind movies with non-blasphemous swear words, if they fit the characters who are speaking. I am aware of people who use certain swear words like normal parts of speech. Sometimes I swear myself in a non-blasphemous way. Some people hate swearing, and hopefully the people would not talk like that in a situation requiring more formal or polite speech (I’m quite capable of controlling my speech), but let’s face it, if you have a movie full of gangsters they are not going to sit around talking like they’re having tea with the Queen.

The whole “should WE” watch this or that implies there’s one universal set of standards for all. In reality, there isn’t. Many movies out there are fine for mature adults and film buffs but would be totally inappropriate for an impressionable teenager or for Family Movie Night.

3 Likes

No! That’s so hard to avoid. As long as children are not hearing the swearing and it is not excessive I do not see it as being immoral. Just think of how the movies/media are affecting your heart. Do they cause you to sin or have sinful thoughts? Then don’t watch it.

Don’t be too meticulous or you won’t be able to watch anything

Immoral? probably. Immoral isn’t a subjective judgment for the most part. Either it is or it isn’t. Different factors could play into it to a small degree but in itself, yes. I also want to distinguish between general swearing and taking the Lord’s name in vain. While neither is good, one is probably worse than the other. Excessive swearing is probably still really bad though. I would say there are exceptions when a movie is passable despite swearing (but this is very rare and i can’t think of a specific example). i might ignore it if it’s used just once or twice in an otherwise morally acceptable movie. but most movies in this day are garbage if you ask me. i do have a particular set of movies i like and those are pretty much the only ones i will watch but will not post them here because it might be too revealing since they are a bit…unique? (I’m a bit paranoid about people finding out my identity…) I’d say you just have to develop your conscience and listen to that voice regardless of all the reasoning and guidelines we come up with here because there will be a point when maybe you don’t feel so comfortable with something and that will tell you all you need to know

Of course it is wrong. Who do you think takes a more serious view of their religion: Muslims or Roman Catholics?
At the slightest blasphemy against Mohammed (pbuh) we see Muslims demonstrating wildly in the streets demanding this to be rectified.
Now Catholics have the 10 Commandments. What does the second commandment say:
Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord the God in vain. Yet many Catholics and even Christians don’t seem to mind (at least i don’t see them demonstrating outside the theater) when the Holy Name of Our Divine Lord is taken in vain even in PG 13 movies? The American authorities think that the rating of PG 13 makes it perfectly all right to use the Holy Name of J— as an expletive even in front of 13 year olds. Well if Roman Catholics don’t object to this but pay good hard earned money to hear this blasphemous use of the Holy Name of Our Lord, then what our we supposed to think?
the bible condemns cussing also:
Ephesians 4: 29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Col 3: 8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

In Russia, after May 2014, any new film containing profane language will not be given a distribution certificate, so it can’t be seen at a movie theater. Copies of films with cussing have to be distributed in a sealed package labeled as containing obscene language.

2 Likes

I guess a few people won’t be watching any films featuring Samuel L Jackson then. He mentions his mother quite a lot…

Two words: Pulp Fiction. The Fs, GDs, MFs, and N-words fall down like hailstones in a storm. At that point it just becomes background noise. When Jules (Samuel L Jackson) called Vincent (John Travolta) the N-word when they were washing the blood off their hands, I had to do a double-take — “did I just hear what I think I heard?”. Again, background noise. Definitely not for kids, but great movie — nothing you could really even call nudity (you see Bruce Willis very briefly from the back) and only two fleeting sex scenes, one of which was a rape.

If you sought to shield yourself from hearing or reading any cursing whatsoever, you could not even read the passage from the Bible, Matthew 5:22 (DRV), “But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou Fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” That, too, is cursing. We were discouraged from using the word “fool” when I was growing up, for that very reason.

I must politely disagree:

(James 1:26) “Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.”

(James 3:10) “Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.”

(Matthew 5:11) “It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”

(Matthew 12:36) “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,”

(Colossians 3:8) “But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.”

Blessings,
@christismylord

3 Likes

Interesting article here about Jackson’s support of Tarantino writing as he did (with a warning that it contains profanities: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/samuel-l-jackson-defends-tarantino-n-word-only-allows-three-takes-1202050911/

This is key. There is a huge difference between the two. Swearing is not good but is not that big a deal, and I wouldn’t avoid a movie because of it (even though I personally don’t happen to enjoy the kinds of movies that would have a lot of swearing in the first place).

Taking God’s name in vain is a different matter. I tolerate an occasional OMG (maybe once per TV episode) but if it’s written into the script as a normal way characters speak, I don’t watch it.

3 Likes

Generally movies should entice us to become better in all aspects, according to the Gospel.

I do not see how seeing movies with poor language would help us in any way, except to normalize bad language.

Let’s not forget Jesus mentioned that we remain mindful of what we speak, because we will be judged from all we have said.

A little tip, it is far better to remain silent than to use poor language, every time.

5 Likes

Good article. I want to say that PF could not have been PF without that kind of language, but I have seen the safe-for-TV version of PF, where through some strange alchemy, they scrub out all the language and the dodgier situations, and I have to admit, the story holds together very well. So I just don’t know.

People regularly watch movies that portray all sorts of and behaviour - infidelity, drug use, crime and whatnot. At least some of them inspire us to become better people.by showing us how NOT to be.

I for one have never watched a mafia movie, for example, and gone ‘yeah, that movie really makes me want to go join the mob, and get up the violence and crime and whatnot that they do’. Quite the opposite.

Mileage varies of course, and some are more impressionable about such things, as I may be about others. Each person has to.discern for.themselves and do.their best to avoid what might lead them.personally to sin.

1 Like

I think we should all discern.

But, in all things, we should pursue holiness, purity and love. We should avoid all sin, and try to be better. We should work to bring fruit for the kingdom of God and glorify God.

Follow peace with all men, and holiness: without which no man shall see God. Hebrews 12:14

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of the Lord, by which the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with the burning heat?

13 But we look for new heavens and a new earth according to his promises, in which justice dwelleth.

14 Wherefore, dearly beloved, waiting for these things, be diligent that you may be found before him unspotted and blameless in peace.

15 And account the longsuffering of our Lord, salvation: as also our most dear brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, hath written to you: - 2 Peter 3:11-15

Peace!

1 Like

If you have to ask…

Personally, I am ancient, but black and white movies and TV are cleaner and frankly, more interesting.

5 Likes

More and more I have not been wanting to hear anything unholy in my house. I think of the scripture, “Be holy for I am holy” and I just don’t want impurity invading my home because I am wanting to please my Lord and enjoy His presence in my life. I’m realizing more that God really does “inhabit the praises of his people,” so I’m wanting my home environment to be welcoming to his spirit, as I spend more time listening to music which brings his glory into my home. This has been a very gradual change in my life, not something that I force. This has to come from the heart.

Occasionally I’ll tolerate it, but I find myself more often just turning it off or watching other simpler programs not containing violence or bad language.

3 Likes

Humphrey Bogart movies are the best. Not many of today’s movies can match the quality of Casablanca.

2 Likes

You hear this a lot, the idea that “old stuff was better“ and in my humble opinion it’s a myth. I think it’s usually a mix of nostalgia (if the person is older, of course they’re going to partial to movies and music from their youth) and selection bias (the movies from 40 years ago seem disproportionately great because we’ve long since collectively forgotten about all the duds.)

Yes. Perhaps some remember the saying, “Why can’t life be more like the movies?” Hollywood listened but decided to make movies more like life. The result was a coarsening of society, not only in language but in permissible acts.

Eastwood made and continues to make movies that are life like. Can’t remember Clint ever dropping a gratuitous “F-bomb” in his flicks.

1 Like

Exactly. If i remember correctly, watching movies wasn’t a prerequisite to get to heaven. if so…well i’m definitely not making it! :wink: But watching our tongue is and being conscientious in building our character and conscience are.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.