Should women be ordained?

Should women be ordained?

To the priesthood?

As a Deacon?

What do you think?

Peace

I think the Church has closed the subject.

tee

[quote=dennisknapp]Should women be ordained?

To the priesthood?

As a Deacon?

What do you think?

Peace
[/quote]

I think Christ has given us the answer. No, they will never be ordained.

Women should not, and will never be ordained. Ordinatio Sacerdotalis:

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) *I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful. *[emphasis mine]

It isn’t a matter of whether or not they “should be” ordained, but of whether or not they “can be.” The answer, as has already been given by the previous posters is that they can’t because the Church has not been given the authority to ordain them.

[quote=mtr01]Women should not, and will never be ordained. Ordinatio Sacerdotalis:
[/quote]

I agree… thanks for posting the quote from Ordinatio Sacerdotalis.

If Jesus had intended for women to have the role as an ordained priesthood – in addition to the level of priesthood that all Christians have by virtue of the Sacrament of Baptism – He would have declared (in addition to the 12 disciples) his mother or other saintly women.

Um… may I ask… what is the English translation of our Latin tag (below)?

Tibi soli peccavi et malum coram te feci ut iustificeris in sermonibus tuis et vincas cum iudicaris.

Woman can serve Christ and the Church in other important ways without making women priests.

Best way to combat a shortage of priests and inspire new vocations is to increase Adoration in parishes. This would be far more effective than debating this year after year. I would love to see this tired, worn question be turned around to, “How can we get more to participate in Adoration”

[quote=jrabs]Woman can serve Christ and the Church in other important ways without making women priests.

Best way to combat a shortage of priests and inspire new vocations is to increase Adoration in parishes. This would be far more effective than debating this year after year. I would love to see this tired, worn question be turned around to, “How can we get more to participate in Adoration”
[/quote]

Yes.

And in answer to the poll, No.

Feeling a little long winded today,
Trevor

No, simply put. If a woman is called into religious life there is plenty for her to do to serve God, other than be a priest.

Absolutely not. You cannot trust a woman in a management position in the workforce. Imagine how much worse a woman will be as a priest.

There are also Scriptural reasons why this will never happen.

MaggieOH

Women should be ordained…to work in the parish cafeteria after Mass. :smiley:

DUCKS! RUNS FOR COVER

Haven’t we all gone over this once or twice (a day) before?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Eamon

Literally: 'I have sinned against thee alone and have done evil before thee; that thou mightst be justified in thy words, and conquer when thou art judged.

In the Douay version:

To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: that thou mayst be justified in thy words, and mayst overcome when thou art judged.

The NIV has:

Against you, you only, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.

The NIV is more understandable, but the Douay translates the Vulgate literally (that’s why it has ‘thou art judged’ - the Latin is ‘judicaris’, second person singular, present passive).

As you’ll realise, seeing it in English, it’s the Miserere - Psalm 50 (51 in the Protestant & modern Catholic numbering), verse 4. David’s repentance when he’d committed adultery with Bathsheba, and his child had died.

Sue

The Pope has already made that very clear to quash all the rumors started by non-Catholic Christians that the Vatican has started to consider married Priests as a result of the homosexual abuse scandal in the Church.

No ordained women.

No married Priests.

No homosexual Priests.

Thank God for John Paul II.

I voted no. I recently went to a weekday Mass at a church that is not my regular parish. It turned out to be a Communion service, not Mass. Much to my horror, a woman came out and led the service.:eek: I almost walked out, but she was a good speaker and I became much more interested in seeing how many people actually walked. I was not comfortable with having a woman lead the service. It felt very wrong.

There seems to be rattling around the issue of whether or not some women were appointed (as opposed to ordained - the laying on of hands) deaconesses, primarlily (if not exclusively) to assist in the immersion baptism of women in the very early Church.

Assuming that the issue is true, there no longer exists a valid reason for appointing them as deaconess, as even where immersion is used as the means of Baptism, people no longer go through that part of the ceremony naked.

Granted that there may be a few of the “60’s” nuns agitating for it, and I’m sure Frances Kissling could get a head of steam up about it, I see absoluitely nothing positive to be obtained by “reinstituting” the status. Those who agitate tend to see priesthood as a power issue (anyone ever notice that what they condemn returns as what they seek for themselves?). “Power to the People” might have been a cry of the late 60’s, but it certainly didn’t start as the cry of radical feminists.

This, too, shall pass away, but probably not until a few more of the radicals themselves pass away.

Patience is a virtue.

:banghead:

I voted no. I recently went to a weekday Mass at a church that was not my regular parish. It turned out to be a Communion service instead of Mass. Much to my horror, a woman came out and led the service!:eek: I almost walked out, but she was a good speaker and I wanted to see how many people walked out (only 3!). I don’t think that it is a good idea for women to be ordained. This service felt very wrong and it bothered me for days afterward. Needless to say, I won’t go back to that church unless I have to.

Sigh…Not this old squeal again.
The Holy Father closed this subject over 2 years ago. The Church has no authority to ordain women. End of story…OK
If the one or two rad (ex) nuns keep up this diatribe, then I as a male will demand to join there order as a Nun! Then we will see a slightly different reaction.
God Bless :banghead:

The Church has no authority to do so, as others have so rightfully stated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.