Should you go to mass if not receiving?

If you are a Catholic and believe you are in a state of mortal sin and can not receive communion, should you go to mass?

Yes, you should go to Mass if it is a day of obligation (such as Sunday). No need to add another mortal sin to the existing one.

Also, attendance at any Mass may be just what is necessary to inspire contrition so that the person in mortal sin can repent and go to Confession!

1) Yes, because the Church says we must.

2) The Mass is not just a banquet where we eat. It's also (primarily) a sacrifice: the same Sacrifice of the Cross made present on our altars in the actions of the priest, through the Holy Spirit. When you think about it that way, you can see that it's like asking why do we praise Mary and John for staying with Our Lord at the foot of the cross when they couldn't have Holy Communion? The Church teaches that there are a lot of graces to be gained just from being reverently present at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Of course.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Even if we are unable to receive Jesus into our bodies physically, we are still receiving grace simply by being in His presence. Jesus is truly physically embodied in the Eucharist. How could we not benefit by being there with him?

Even the woman who was unclean believed that just touching his cloak could fix everything. He commended her for her unfaltering faith. We are called to have that same faith. :)

[quote="johnnyjones, post:1, topic:302689"]
If you are a Catholic and believe you are in a state of mortal sin and can not receive communion, should you go to mass?

[/quote]

Sure. And go to confession as soon as possible.

there are spiritual benefits for going to mass on any day even if you don't receive Jesus. You hear the Word of God all throughout the mass it is preached to you and you build community with those in the parish. All good things.

yes, but depending on what the mortal sin is you may or may not be allowed to do confession.

[quote="IronMIke, post:8, topic:302689"]
yes, but depending on what the mortal sin is you may or may not be allowed to do confession.

[/quote]

the only situation this would apply is excommunication.

almost all mortal sins can be forgiven in confession. Being is a state of grace isn't a requirement to go to confession. It would actually be pointless to go to confession if you were in a state of grace.

[quote="catholictiger, post:9, topic:302689"]
the only situation this would apply is excommunication.

almost all mortal sins can be forgiven in confession. Being is a state of grace isn't a requirement to go to confession. It would actually be pointless to go to confession if you were in a state of grace.

[/quote]

Wrong sorry, Common error.

If you are divorced and not obtained annullments is just one of many that would eliminate participation in communion/confession.

[quote="IronMIke, post:10, topic:302689"]
If you are divorced and not obtained annullments is just one of many that would eliminate participation in communion/confession.

[/quote]

Only if you have no self control. (the general "you" of course)

Indubitably!

Say this prayer during communion:

My Jesus, I believe that you are present in the most Blessed Sacrament. I love You above all things and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You have already come, and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

[quote="IronMIke, post:10, topic:302689"]
Wrong sorry, Common error.

[/quote]

I'm not Catholic yet, but I know this is not correct. It is people who are divorced and remarried without proper annulment who are not able to take communion. Divorce alone does not disqualify you from communion. Can you imagine? With the no-fault divorce laws, how fair would that be? "My husband left me, I had no ability to stop the divorce, and now my church denies me communion." I really hope you aren't spreading this misinformation. We need to encourage people to seek the Church and let them know that it offers redemption.

With regard to the first post - yes, you should still go to Mass. I'm in the process of converting, and have been going to Mass now for about 2 months without being able to take communion. I understand that it's difficult. You really feel that you are missing a big part of the service - well, the main part, really. I just use the communion time to pray. If you sit closer to either the front or the back, you can get a good amount of uninterrupted prayer time in before or after the rest of your pew gets up for the Eucharist. (Otherwise, you'll be interrupted having to get up and let everyone in or our, etc.)

=johnnyjones;9922764]If you are a Catholic and believe you are in a state of mortal sin and can not receive communion, should you go to mass?

TWO CRITIAL POINTS:

MISSING MASS IS ANOTHER MORTAL SIN [3TD,COMMANDMENT]

EVERY weekend MASS I KNOW OF OFFERS CONFESSION BEFORE MASS....hint, hint:thumbsup:

[quote="DAML72, post:13, topic:302689"]
I'm not Catholic yet, but I know this is not correct. It is people who are divorced and remarried without proper annulment who are not able to take communion. Divorce alone does not disqualify you from communion. Can you imagine? With the no-fault divorce laws, how fair would that be? "My husband left me, I had no ability to stop the divorce, and now my church denies me communion." I really hope you aren't spreading this misinformation. We need to encourage people to seek the Church and let them know that it offers redemption.

With regard to the first post - yes, you should still go to Mass. I'm in the process of converting, and have been going to Mass now for about 2 months without being able to take communion. I understand that it's difficult. You really feel that you are missing a big part of the service - well, the main part, really. I just use the communion time to pray. If you sit closer to either the front or the back, you can get a good amount of uninterrupted prayer time in before or after the rest of your pew gets up for the Eucharist. (Otherwise, you'll be interrupted having to get up and let everyone in or our, etc.)

[/quote]

You must have a more communion friendly Priest than me ;), of course
being divorce with no annullments would disqualify communion.

[quote="IronMIke, post:15, topic:302689"]
You must have a more communion friendly Priest than me ;), of course
being divorce with no annullments would disqualify communion.

[/quote]

Being divorced does not disqualify you from communion in and of itself. If you are divorced and not dating anyone then there is not a sin in that. What happens to the people who's spouses divorce then through no fault of their own?

That is why we have annullments

[quote="Ophelia23, post:5, topic:302689"]
Yes, yes, yes!!! Even if we are unable to receive Jesus into our bodies physically, we are still receiving grace simply by being in His presence.

[/quote]

What difference does it make to receive grace simply by being there or whether or not a person adds another mortal sin? The grace is not going to do any good. It only takes one sin considered to be mortal by the Catholic Church to go to hell if unrepented according to the Catholic Church. All the grace you receive just by being there or whether there is 1 mortal sin on a soul or 100, doesn't change that. If someone misses one Mass their entire lives or has some other sin considered to be mortal by the Catholic Church on their soul, and doesn't repent it in confession, they're judged to hell anyway according to the Catholic Church. Whether or not they ever set foot in a Catholic church again. :shrug:

[quote="IronMIke, post:17, topic:302689"]
That is why we have annullments

[/quote]

IronMike:

Here is a link you might find informative.

catholicexchange.com/divorced-catholics-and-the-eucharist/

[quote="johnnyjones, post:1, topic:302689"]

[/quote]

Of course. Missing Mass is a mortal sin (I am speaking of course of Sunday and Holy Day Masses, not weekday Mass).

Communion is not a REQUIREMENT for Mass attendance. Certainly ideally one should be in a state of grace and receive, but if one is not in such a state, certainly come to Mass, make a spiritual communion --and try to make an appointment with the priest for confession as soon as possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.