Should you socialize before the Blessed Sacrament?

Yesterday I was thirty minutes into my weekly holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament when a lady arrived, walked up to me, and started talking about her life – as well as complaining about issues in the Church. I tried to say as little as possible, and after fifteen minutes or so she finally sat down. I was so shocked at this and am concerned that this talking before the Blessed Sacrament is a sin. Do I need to confess this? I still can’t believe it happened.

You didn’t do anything wrong. As for the lady, since she was probably just thoughtless and not deliberately disrespectful, she likely did not sin either. If this should happen again, just say quietly and politely, “I’m so sorry but I’m not able to visit with you right now” and then return your attention to the Blessed Sacrament or to your devotional material. You might also suggest to the adoration coordinator that a discreet sign asking for “Silence in the chapel, please” would be helpful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.