Shouldn't the corpus be back up on the cross?

My parish took the corpus off the cross for the Easter season and put a white veil around it. Today at Mass it was still like that. Shouldn't the corpus be back on the cross since the Easter season technically ended last Sunday?

Yes, it may simply be a problem in scheduling the people and ladders needed for the job.

I'm so glad my parish doesn't drape the crucifix, turn the statues around, or any of that. We do get some lovely lilies and flowers in for Easter Sunday though! :D

Ours drapes the crucifix, but I'm just thankful we have a crucifix. My other parish removed all the crucifixes and just have crosses now like the Prostestant worship spaces.

yes, it should be.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:3, topic:286751"]
Ours drapes the crucifix, but I'm just thankful we have a crucifix. My other parish removed all the crucifixes and just have crosses now like the Prostestant worship spaces.

[/quote]

Yuck Yuck Yuck. Why aren't we remembering Christ crucified like Paul said?
Hate to say it, but a TRUE protestant would be a hypocrite.

[BIBLEDRB]1 Corinthians 1:23[/BIBLEDRB]

[/quote]

:eek:

It seems to me that there should be a corpus on the cross at all times. At least for one crucifix being required for a licit Mass. I don't know if a "risen Lord" corpus qualifies, but as far as I can tell, it is contrary to Latin Church tradition to mess with the corpus on the traditional crucifix.

[/quote]

You have my sincere regrets and a prayer for the return of the corpus. This is what I found on the internet. Find like-minded on fire Catholics in your parish and fight the good fight: (from the Catholic Encyclopedia)

The crucifix is the principal ornament of the altar. It is placed on the altar to recall to the mind of the celebrant, and the people, that the Victim offered on the altar is the same as was offered on the Cross. For this reason the crucifix must be placed on the altar as often as Mass is celebrated. The rubric of the Roman Missal prescribes that it be placed at the middle of the altar between the candlesticks, and that it be large enough to be conveniently seen by both the celebrant and the people. If for any reason this crucifix is removed, another may take its place in a lower position; but in such cases it must always be visible to all who assist at Mass. We remarked above that a crucifix must be placed on the altar during Mass.

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:6, topic:286751"]
:eek:

[/quote]

To make matters worse, it's a Cathedral. :eek::eek:

Well, I sure hope that it's up for next weekend. The crucifix is a great reminder of the Body and Blood of Christ other than the Eucharist itself. Although, the Eucharist isn't a mere "reminder".

Ours drapes the crucifix, but I'm just thankful we have a crucifix. My other parish removed all the crucifixes and just have crosses now like the Prostestant worship spaces./

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ours drapes the crucifix, but I'm just thankful we have a crucifix.** My other parish removed all the crucifixes and just have crosses now like the Prostestant worship spaces**.

[/quote]

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

We've turned around our crucifixes last week, although technically today is the last day of huge cycle that started with the pre-Lent Liturgies. Today is All Saints Sunday in the Byzantine Rite, the culmination of everything that has gone in the last 100 days or so.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:286751"]
My parish took the corpus off the cross for the Easter season and put a white veil around it. Today at Mass it was still like that. Shouldn't the corpus be back on the cross since the Easter season technically ended last Sunday?

[/quote]

Well, seeing it really shouldn't have been taken off in the first place, yes, it should be back up.

[quote="superamazingman, post:14, topic:286751"]
Well, seeing it really shouldn't have been taken off in the first place, yes, it should be back up.

[/quote]

Exactly!:thumbsup:

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:13, topic:286751"]
We've turned around our crucifixes last week, although technically today is the last day of huge cycle that started with the pre-Lent Liturgies. Today is All Saints Sunday in the Byzantine Rite, the culmination of everything that has gone in the last 100 days or so.

[/quote]

I so really, really, don't mean to start anything.
But frankly, Con, your post is unhelpful and basically useless.

The question concerns the Latin Church and your parish's practices are completely beside the point.

For the Latin Rite this is disgraceful and for a Cathedral scandalous. This is clearly a case where a letter needs to go to the Bishop and then to Rome.

[quote="marlap2, post:8, topic:286751"]
You have my sincere regrets and a prayer for the return of the corpus. This is what I found on the internet. Find like-minded on fire Catholics in your parish and fight the good fight: (from the Catholic Encyclopedia)

The crucifix is the principal ornament of the altar. It is placed on the altar to recall to the mind of the celebrant, and the people, that the Victim offered on the altar is the same as was offered on the Cross. For this reason the crucifix must be placed on the altar as often as Mass is celebrated. The rubric of the Roman Missal prescribes that it be placed at the middle of the altar between the candlesticks, and that it be large enough to be conveniently seen by both the celebrant and the people. If for any reason this crucifix is removed, another may take its place in a lower position; but in such cases it must always be visible to all who assist at Mass. We remarked above that a crucifix must be placed on the altar during Mass.

[/quote]

By the altar is meant the actual altar or the area around it, more like the sanctuary? Because all of the churches I know have big crucifixes behind the altar that the altar boys carry with the procession, and some have small crosses that they put on the actual altar. So I guess I'm just confused about this point. Maybe there is a picture that explains this more clearly?

[/quote]

Sounds like St. Mary's Cathedral in Lansing Michigan. From the outside the Centerl Baptist Church looks more like a Cathedral then St. Mary's looks more like a Baplist Church. :eek:

is it possible that it was removed for restoration purposes? Perhaps it is being repaired and the repairs are taking longer than anticipated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.