Shouldn't we go with the wording the Liturgy provides?

I recent times, I have been distracted by some parishes changing some wording at the Mass in order to, I presume, be politically correct. For example, In a larger scale, although this was only once and a quite a while ago, a word or two was changed from one of the readings from mankind to person kind. In a more recent issue on this past Sunday, at the Alleluia, the response was changed from Father to God.

This became distracting for me and seemed to be a selfish change by the reader.

I personally don’t have an issue with being politically correct, but when it comes to the Mass, shouldn’t we stay true to the wording that the Catholic church provides us in the Missal?

Hi,

No one, not even the priest, has the authority to modify the wording of the Liturgy. Further, I DO have a problem with political correcteness because it is not honest. To put concern for human senstivities over objective truth is sinful in many, if not most, cases.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.