Shower for the Groom

The other day, dh went to a shower for the groom! The son of a good friend of his was getting married and his buddies thought it would be unusual, fun, crazy, whatever, to throw him a shower. So, they invited guys he knew and took up a collection for a group gift.

They had a barbeque, sat around, eating and talking then they gave him the gift (it was Craftsmen tools, things he'd need for handy-manning it around the house.) This was not a bachelor party with silly (and questionable) stuff going on. Everyone had a great time and the groom was absolutely blown away that his friends were so thoughtful (although he had to express this in a very 'manly' way).

Anyone else out there heard of this or been to one? Until now, I hadn't known about it.

A bachelor party doesn’t have to involve alcohol and scantily clad women. It can be exactly what you described, or a bunch of guys going to a sporting event, or a bunch of guys working on a car, etc. There’s usually no present, though.

[quote="CoffeeHound, post:2, topic:204463"]
A bachelor party doesn't have to involve alcohol and scantily clad women. It can be exactly what you described, or a bunch of guys going to a sporting event, or a bunch of guys working on a car, etc. There's usually no present, though.

[/quote]

I agree. I'm 30, and I've been to a ton of bachelor parties where there are no women. Just a few drinks, cigars, video games or sporting events.

It's not done alot (giving a gift) but I think a really nice whiskey, cigar, or something would be a good idea.

This is the first I've heard of a shower specifically for the groom. But I've seen joint male/female wedding showers where there were some "guy things" given as gifts.

(Actually I've been to bridal showers where the bride received a few tools and such items.)

[quote="SMHW, post:4, topic:204463"]

(Actually I've been to bridal showers where the bride received a few tools and such items.)

[/quote]

My future bride better have some-I can't life a hammer! :o

Thanks for your comments! I guess when one hears the phrase 'bachelor party' one tends to think the worst.

I'm having my bachelor party this month, which will consist of golfing, eating at a restaurant, and going to a bar. I did go to a strip club on occasion many moons ago, but I never quite caught onto the whole concept. I didn't feel a need to reward a woman for taking her clothes off in public, and I pitied the guys that spent their paychecks and thought that the employees genuinely liked them. Anyway. . .I outgrew it a long time ago, so I feel no need to partake in it now, especially since it's objectionable to my in Faith and logic.

Good for the groom and all his friends. Wish more people getting married would adopt this kind of party.

I hate the raunchy pre-wedding parties, be they for the groom OR the bride. There were a few bachelorette parties in the family that were far worse than what the groom experienced. Yuck.

[quote="Beachcomber, post:1, topic:204463"]

Anyone else out there heard of this or been to one? Until now, I hadn't known about it.

[/quote]

SIL 1 had a golf outing, and SIL 2 had a tool shower, they all went to Lowe's then to a stock car race. DH got invited to both of course, he liked the golf best. He gave our daughters fully loaded toolboxes as graduation presents, and they already knew how to use them, so they brought those assets into their marriages as well.

i think my fiance would love this!!! Actually i would like it too. The whole idea of the showers etc make me nervous. I want to just sit around with friends and have a good time!

My dh went to Dave&Busters with his brother, BIL and maybe a friend. They ate pizza and beer and they guys paid for dh's games. He had a blast and they were all able to drive home at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

As for the tools, my mother made sure that we all had the basics before we went to college. We received a few tools every year for Christmas during highschool so we would have screwdrivers, wrenches, a hammer, pliers, etc, before we left home. I actually had more tools that my dh when we got married, though my parents did get him a nice set of pliers one year for Christmas. :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.