Showers!?!?!

I was looking at a bunch of websites of nuns to view the schedule of what they do from morning:yawn: 'til zzzzzzzzzzz:sleep: .

I’m curious…the schedule as well as a sister writing what they do, NEVER mentions taking a shower or brushing teeth! Now, I assume they have to shower sometime during the day? Or are they blessed big time by not getting dirty?

Anyone want to take a stand on this?

Nicole,

I don’t know about individual schedules. I did want to write, though, and let you know that if you are considering religious life you will need to be VERY careful about what order you join. Women’s religious orders have been more affected by heterodoxy than the priesthood, and feminism is often the order of the day. Needless to say, some of these orders are dying. There ARE good, orthodox orders, but you need to learn where they are (those are the ones that are thriving, surprise, surprise). The sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, for example, is a growing orthodox order. There are others, of course. Find an order that is faithful to the Magisterium and which makes a point of saying so.

Yes, they do take showers, brush their teeth, use the restroom, take time to dress from their habit to pajamas, etc. Generally schedules are not quite that explicit :slight_smile:

[quote=Sherlock]Nicole,

I don’t know about individual schedules. I did want to write, though, and let you know that if you are considering religious life you will need to be VERY careful about what order you join. Women’s religious orders have been more affected by heterodoxy than the priesthood, and feminism is often the order of the day. Needless to say, some of these orders are dying. There ARE good, orthodox orders, but you need to learn where they are (those are the ones that are thriving, surprise, surprise). The sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, for example, is a growing orthodox order. There are others, of course. Find an order that is faithful to the Magisterium and which makes a point of saying so.
[/quote]

This very good advise not only for women but for men.

Good luck Nicole, I will be praying for you.

Monica

[quote=Paris Blues]I was looking at a bunch of websites of nuns to view the schedule of what they do from morning:yawn: 'til zzzzzzzzzzz:sleep: .

I’m curious…the schedule as well as a sister writing what they do, NEVER mentions taking a shower or brushing teeth! Now, I assume they have to shower sometime during the day? Or are they blessed big time by not getting dirty?

Anyone want to take a stand on this?
[/quote]

You are cracking me up…:rotfl:

When I was a kid at Christ the King School, we snuck into the convent one time. When we saw the toilets we almost lost our minds…

[quote=Sherlock]Nicole,

[/quote]

Well, if you are saying this, could you please explain which orders are dying? Which ones I should avoid? Which ones are great?

[quote=Paris Blues]I
I’m curious…the schedule as well as a sister writing what they do, NEVER mentions taking a shower or brushing teeth! ?
[/quote]

they probably don’t detail taking out the garbage, reading the paper, sweeping the floor, watering the plants or all the other little details of daily life either. You may take it for granted that they have time to do all that is necessary for hygeine and household maintenance.

I would run screaming from the Ursulines based in NE Ohio. A great order to consider, the oldest is in her 40s, are the TORs in Toronto, Ohio, just outside Steubenville (Franciscans, Third Order Regular), great bunch of ladies. I have pictures of them at a friend’s home jumping on the trampoline. And their music, which we enjoy at the Steubenville summer conferences is outstanding. This is the first place I would direct a young lady considering religious life. If I find the address I will post it.

[quote=LSK]You are cracking me up…:rotfl:

When I was a kid at Christ the King School, we snuck into the convent one time. When we saw the toilets we almost lost our minds…
[/quote]

LOL!!! :rotfl:

You thought they were blessed big time too by not going to the bathroom? How funny!

My brother went to a seminary and I visited him once for about a week. There is a schedule, but as others have said it is just a schedule, so that there is order in the day.

They do have time to read, use the restroom, take showers, write, brush teeth, everything. They would also take some days to go out of the routine. This was Legionaires of Christ, they would play soccer, capture the flag, (this was done in the woods, reminded me of war in the way they played it, they got pretty dirty sometimes) take hikes, and other things. I am not sure if all places is so much like this but the point is even though there was a schedule and they stuck to it, they did have time to themselves.

I recommend looking at places where everyone isn’t above 40 years old, there is plenty of great, vibrant orders out there.

God Bless
Scylla

LOL!!!

Well, at least we know that convents or monasteries DO take care of themselves with hygiene! :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.