Shows for 4 and 6 year old boys?

We have temporary custody of a couple boys, 4 and 6 years old. They grew up exposed to drugs and alcohol and have witnessed numerous sexual situations. The youngest was burned while playing with a lighter and the state removed them from their mother's custody. We have temporary custody before the court date at the end of June.

What shows would you recommend to help teach them how to be good boys?

Borrowed some old 80's SuperFriends. I'm explaining about good and evil and trying to help them identify virtue in the good guys and concupiscence in the evil guys.

Tried to look into the Justice League and that's way too old for these guys. Hoping for some advice from you guys. We don't have cable so we only have access to what we can buy/rent online and from friends.

Thanks and God Bless.

Well, my nephews, who are now 6 and 8, have always loved the Thomas the Train videos, and from what I have seen, these stories teach good virtues. The Thomas the Train stories have been around for 60 years, so it's not some new cartoon creation designed only to sell merchandise (although there is certainly plenty of T the T merchandise!).

When my brother and I were younger, we liked the Fat Albert cartoons. There were always good lessons from these stories.

Sorry I don't have more suggestions. We raised daughters. They absolutely adored the show Boy Meets World, which was produced and directed by Christians. My daughters also loved (and still love)* Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman *from the time they were very young. Not sure if boys would like these or not, but there are plenty of good male role models in both of these shows.

God bless you for helping these boys. What a tragic situation.

[quote="CatholicKrishna, post:1, topic:242373"]
We have temporary custody of a couple boys, 4 and 6 years old. They grew up exposed to drugs and alcohol and have witnessed numerous sexual situations. The youngest was burned while playing with a lighter and the state removed them from their mother's custody. We have temporary custody before the court date at the end of June.

Borrowed some old 80's SuperFriends. I'm explaining about good and evil and trying to help them identify virtue in the good guys and concupiscence in the evil guys.

Tried to look into the Justice League and that's way too old for these guys. Hoping for some advice from you guys. We don't have cable so we only have access to what we can buy/rent online and from friends.

Thanks and God Bless.

[/quote]

Try Arthur. In most shows, it gives a good lesson. Plus, it was entertaining for me when I was growing up.

VeggieTales

[quote="Catholic90, post:4, topic:242373"]
VeggieTales

[/quote]

+1!

Being 4 and 6 though, there is nothing more influential than your own examples... :)

So yes, you are the HERO!

I teach in a very tough school, and my kids know more about evil than I care to consider.

On rainy days, they use my classroom for inside recess and watch videos. I have seen the hardest boys enjoy some very and lovely videos:

"Little Bear"

"Little Bill"

"Max and Ruby"

I love Veggie Tales as well -- pick one, any one, they're just wonderful!

These shows are all slower-paced, gentle, family-centered, and funny. The kids just absolutely love them -- perhaps because my hardest kids see a way of life that makes more sense to them than the insanity they have to deal with at home :(

Be willing to slow the pace. Don't give in to the idea that boys must have action-packed, fast-paced, good-guy-bad-guy stories. It sounds like these boys have had more than their fair share of action and fast-paced living. Unless you've been experienced it yourself, it's hard to imagine the survival habits developed by kids who have to be ready for anything at any time.

Children who have lived in a constant state of uncertainty need some down time, some time to think and react more slowly -- think of it as a chance to re-wire the brain to be able to deal with consistency and predictability. Introduce them to innocence and gentleness. Watch the shows with them and talk about the silliness and the sweetness. Laugh at the silly moments and say "oh no" when the characters get into those innocent goofy messes. Basically, you're teaching them safe and appropriate reactions.

If you have cable/satellite in your home, check out Nick Jr. It's a great station with not questionable thing I've ever seen. I only just cancelled my satellite, and my son is seven and a half, but that station was still his favorite!

God bless you for serving God's little ones. He will give you the grace you need to do right by them.

Gertie

[quote="CatholicKrishna, post:1, topic:242373"]

Thanks and God Bless.

[/quote]

These are all great suggestions.

My little one really enjoys PBS Kids in the morning. Dinosaur Train is great for kids who like dinos. Sesame Street is always great. Dr. Seuss is silly and they learn about different animals.

I have found it to be excellent programming as I don't watch cable TV.

Best wishes and God bless!

avoid Nick and ABC Family and disney channels like the plague

rely very little on TV for socialization and entertainment, they need to start learning to live and act like normal little boys, normal brothers. but we did learn, in my undergraduate comm major days, that the essential component of how TV affects children is how the parent filters and discusses the content with them. encourage them to express what they learned or felt about the show. don't put down their off the wall comments, simply let them talk, then share your feelings without condemning theirs (which might surprise you given their background)

may God bless you for undertaking this vital intervention in these little lives you are very special people.

At that age, my kids loved Little Bear (very gentle but fun Maurice Sendak cartoon), the Land Before Time (Dinosaurs, good moral lessons), all the Pooh cartoons. Sound like they could use some images of security. You might check out your local library too, most have lots of children's DVDs for chdckout at no cost.

They don't play video games (even though we have a Wii) and we don't watch the television other than 30 minutes before nap (usually 3-4 times a week).
We role-play a lot. Using legos or home-made playdoh we craft or create things and act out made up stories. Using donated cars and figurines we make up stories about people doing good things for others. We are trying to be good for them.

If at the end of June when the court date come up, the judge decides to give them back to their parents, I told my wife, "At least we were given the chance to love them." What more can a young couple ask for.

Mr Rogers.

The 6 year old might be a bit old for it...but there is such a calm gentleness to his shows, and good lessons to be learned.

At 4 and 5 years old my sons loved Bob the Builder and Thomas the Train.

Along with the aforementioned VeggieTales is 3-2-1 Penguins. My children (4-11) love watching that as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.