SHOWS: Wicked

has anybody seen this new musical? I loved it and just wanted to know opinions/concerns of others…

here is the official site:
wickedthemusical.com/

Thanks–
Laura :o

My wife read the book and she told me that it was quite sexual.

I also read the book - it was an R rated book for some of the sexual content.

Haven’t found the opportunity yet. But I’m happy that it’s bringing people downtown and feeding our economy.

[quote=Lurch104]My wife read the book and she told me that it was quite sexual.
[/quote]

The musical itself was only bad in one part when they told of Elphaba’s mother’s affair…

Somebody told me it was good. Maybe I’ll see it or something…:rolleyes:

Eamon

[quote=turboEDvo]Somebody told me it was good. Maybe I’ll see it or something…http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Eamon
[/quote]

good idea http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I just got balcony tickets to see it when the Broadway Touring Company brings it to Dallas, Texas in November, but I haven’t seen it yet. I have the soundtrack, and I love it. I’ve memorized almost every single song. It’s currently either my favorite or second favorite Broadway Musical, next to the Phantom of the Opera. And as far as my concerns about it, I think that as long as you realize that witchcraft is wrong, then you’re alright.

I heard the book is sort of trashy but I know lots of people who saw the show in both NY & Chicago & they all said it was great. We have tickets to see it w/ all of our kids at the end of August - Can’t wait! We LOVE the music - espeically Defying Gravity. It’s our #2 fav broadway music after Suessical the Musical.

[quote=carol marie]I heard the book is sort of trashy but I know lots of people who saw the show in both NY & Chicago & they all said it was great. We have tickets to see it w/ all of our kids at the end of August - Can’t wait! We LOVE the music - espeically Defying Gravity. It’s our #2 fav broadway music after Suessical the Musical.
[/quote]

My favorite song too! The end is just amazing how they play it on stage. I won’t ruin it for you, so tell me what you thought of it after you have watched it on stage!

I kinda like Dancing through Life, but Popular & Loathing are pretty catchy too. :o I can sing both of them, unfortunately. :whistle:

I read a comment that said the person thought it was an atheist story. (Wizard-God, Townspeople- Christians, the Witch-atheist) Kinda bothers me since I’m a huge fan. :confused:

We saw Wicked - twice. LOVED it. I don’t give a hoot if someone thinks it’s an “atheist” story - that is just so dumb. It is make-believe - fantasy - not true. Kansas farm girl being transported to Oz via tornado, houses falling on witches, magic ruby slippers, talking tin men, scarecrows & lions… it’s all just a story. Show me the person who walks out of Wicked saying, “Wow… that was a great musical… but now I don’t believe in Jesus.” Too ridiculous.

From one huge fan to another,
CM :slight_smile:

Indeed.

“Everyone” knows the *Wizard of Oz *is an allegory for the Populist movement. Or the French Revolution. Or a predicition of the fiery plane crash killing Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and JP “The Big Bopper” Richardson. Or …

:rotfl:
tee

The musical is a very innocent play. Similar to the Wizard of Oz in content. I know a few people will complain because the characters that use witchcraft aren’t one sided and completely bad. But as with other books/plays/movies as long as you go into in realizing it is just fiction it will be safe.

The book is definitly a ‘R’ read and the sequel “Son of a Witch” could even border on “morally offensive”. It is very clear on reading the book the author is very anti-religion, especially to the religion that envolves as he calls it the “Unnamed God”. Without revealing anything there is a sex scene that borders on rape and a homosexual trist in the 2nd book.

The screenplay to Wicked was obviously written by someone else for a larger market.

Didn’t care much for the book but the play seems great. Has anyone seen it and was it any good? Any objections to it or reasons not to see it? I know there is a short scene where the Witch’s mother has an affair but that’s doesn’t exactly seem like a focus point. The music is great and I really hope to see it someday.:smiley: (<haha green face)

My Grandaughter saw it a couple of years ago on her Senior trip and she still talks about it. Has all the CD’s, t-shirts, etc. It was the highlight of her young life. She is now 20 and still has the dream to move to New York and be on Broadway.

We saw it during the off-Broadway rounds about 1-1/2 years ago… it was a great show. The music and vocals are fabulous.

my younger daughter and I went to see our first Broadway musical on weds. it was “Wicked”. what an awesome show. (my older daughter saw it two years ago and said everyone should see “Wicked”.)
really puts a twist on what you know about The Wizard of Oz.
If you have an opportunity to see a Broadway show, be sure to see it.

kate

The Musical was extremely entertaining, I loved it. I was however quite dissapointed to hear about the book’s author. Here is a quote from Gregory Mcquire I read at UASTODAY.COM

“I’m a father of three young kids, a practicing Catholic, a registered voter who does vote, a taxpayer, a volunteer on boards of local charities, etc. Yet I am also an openly gay married man, a critic of the current administration, an occasional public dissenter about Vatican policy and practices.”:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.