Shroud of Turin, great apologetic tool!

I just read all the excellent posts about the Shroud of Turin, (at the Spirituality section of the Forums) :thumbsup: and I wonder why this wonderful witness of the Resurrection has not received the world wide publicity it deserves. If people knew all the facts about it I believe many people from other religions (Judaism, Budhism, etc) would convert to Catholicism, :bowdown::bowdown2:don’t you think so too? or am I being too naive?

:blessyou:

Alma

I can see Buddhists and Hindus being very interested in the Shroud.

Yes, but the Shroud has been around for centuries. I would liken it to the line from Song of Bernadette as roughly:“To those who do not believe, no explanation is possible; to those who believe, no explanation is necessary.” This can often apply to all miracles, large or small, visible or invisible. Thanks and God Bless.

The Shroud is a very complicated subject. It would take a lot of study and investigation to learn enough about it that one begins to feel convinced. I imagine few non-Christians are willing to invest so much time and effort to studying something they don’t believe in.

If you heard tha Buddist statues drink milk (I’m told some do), would you bother to do a whole lot of investigation?

The Shroud of Turin is not the image of christ, unless Christ died in the at the time of Jaque de Molay

[quote=wjhii]The Shroud of Turin is not the image of christ, unless Christ died in the at the time of Jaque de Molay
[/quote]

Umm … explanations, please?

I know the radiocarbon dating tests showed that it dated from the Middle Ages, but (1) any individual radiocarbon test can be mistaken and (2) a little medieval mold on a first-century fiber gives a radiocarbon date from the Middle Ages.

Examinations of the pollen embedded in the Shroud show that it comes from the Middle East. The image is burned into the fibers, not painted on. Modern science cannot explain, and modern technology cannot duplicate, the process by which the image was generated. Medieval Europe is widely regarded as the low point of science and technology; to say that they could create such a good forgery is laughable.

I’m willing to hear any evidence that the Shroud was created in the Middle Ages, but it had better be good.

• Liberian

The thing that impresses me about the Shroud
is that the image looks exactly like what I
think Jesus looks like…dignity, strength,
nobility, Godhead.
Technology aside, if that isn’t the image of Jesus,
I’ll eat my hat. :tiphat:

reen12
I read somewhere that Veronica’s veil translates
to vera ikon = true image.

[quote=Liberian]Umm … explanations, please?

I know the radiocarbon dating tests showed that it dated from the Middle Ages, but (1) any individual radiocarbon test can be mistaken and (2) a little medieval mold on a first-century fiber gives a radiocarbon date from the Middle Ages.

Examinations of the pollen embedded in the Shroud show that it comes from the Middle East. The image is burned into the fibers, not painted on. Modern science cannot explain, and modern technology cannot duplicate, the process by which the image was generated. Medieval Europe is widely regarded as the low point of science and technology; to say that they could create such a good forgery is laughable.

I’m willing to hear any evidence that the Shroud was created in the Middle Ages, but it had better be good.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

If I remember Shroud history correctly, this idea of the Middle ages deals with a segment(s???) that some well meaning nuns tried to repair the Shroud after the Church in it caught on fire. Anyone else kow something about this fire??? Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=wjhii]The Shroud of Turin is not the image of christ, unless Christ died in the at the time of Jaque de Molay
[/quote]

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

[quote=Alma]I just read all the excellent posts about the Shroud of Turin, (at the Spirituality section of the Forums) :thumbsup: and I wonder why this wonderful witness of the Resurrection has not received the world wide publicity it deserves. If people knew all the facts about it I believe many people from other religions (Judaism, Budhism, etc) would convert to Catholicism, :bowdown::bowdown2:don’t you think so too? or am I being too naive?

:blessyou:

Alma
[/quote]

Your enthusiasm is great, but I do believe you’re being a little naive. We do not base our faith on such items or miracles, however remarkable. WE CHRISTIANS are the wonderful witnesses of the Resurrection…or we should be!

Ah, but recall, “enthusiam” means “in God”:slight_smile:

reen12

Dr. August Accetta was on the Journey Home with Marcus Grodi on EWTN awhile ago. He had some interesting things to say of his studies of the actual shroud. One thing was that the sample they most recently used turned out to be the wrong type of fabric (ie the patches, not the original shroud). He said that in the 80’s a test was done that did date an original part of the shroud back to Christ’s time. His website is:

shroudcentersocal.com/pages/1/index.htm

…not to mention a great visual aide…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.