Shutdown Denies Death and Burial Benefits to Families of 4 Dead Soldiers

nytimes.com/2013/10/09/us/politics/shutdown-holds-up-death-benefits-for-military-families.html?_r=0

Shame on Pres. Obama and Sec. Hagel for spitting on the families of these wonderful patriots fighting for our freedoms!

They could have funded this but would rather score cheap political points.

[quote="saintjohnxxiii, post:1, topic:341647"]
nytimes.com/2013/10/09/us/politics/shutdown-holds-up-death-benefits-for-military-families.html?_r=0

Shame on Pres. Obama and Sec. Hagel for spitting on the families of these wonderful patriots fighting for our freedoms!

[/quote]

This whole thing really bothers and upsets me. No man or woman should go without these benefits when they were putting their lives on the line to defend us, and our beloved country. Our military is suffering because our lovely president wants his way, and won't hear of anything else until his "needs" are met. I'm sorry if this is classified as ranting, I truly am, but I am so sick and tired of all of this. :mad:

[quote="saintjohnxxiii, post:1, topic:341647"]

[/quote]

:confused::confused::confused:

I hold out extremely little hope for the Republican party, but if they do not forcefully throw this back in Obama’s face, there may be no hope at all.

I am confused – this is pretty clearly the fault of the House Republicans, not the president.

[quote="AnnArbor, post:5, topic:341647"]
I am confused -- this is pretty clearly the fault of the House Republicans, not the president.

[/quote]

Opinions, like fuel mileage, vary. But the House Republicans do not have the power or authority to grant executive-level exemptions that are paid from the emergency funds, do they?

Does the buck now stop at the House of Representatives? Where is Harry Truman when we need him most?

No, it’s not. A few weeks ago they knew this would happen and they passed a bill that was supposed to provide funding. It passed both houses and was signed by POTUS. Then DoD decides that they won’t fund it anyway. The White House says senior staff knew about the DoD decision a few days ago.

Obama is the Commander in Chief.
First he barricades the veterans from an open air memorial.
And now this.
I guess 83 % of government service up and running doesn't include burying the dead as an essential service, not when compared to keeping Michelle's nutrition site running anyway.

This is how he leads. This is the kind of leader that Americans can be proud of.

Meh.

[quote="AnnArbor, post:5, topic:341647"]
I am confused -- this is pretty clearly the fault of the House Republicans, not the president.

[/quote]

Of course I t is,probably George Bush's fault too!:rolleyes:

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:9, topic:341647"]
Of course I t is,probably George Bush's fault too!:rolleyes:

[/quote]

George Bush never really left the office. That is the crowning achievement of the grand conspiracy.
Obama is not really the president, but merely George Bush's hand puppet. When Obama speaks watch George Bush's lips very closely, and you will see them moving.

Bushdidit.

[quote="Darryl1958, post:10, topic:341647"]
George Bush never really left the office. That is the crowning achievement of the grand conspiracy.
Obama is not really the president, but merely George Bush's hand puppet. When Obama speaks watch George Bush's lips very closely, and you will see them moving.

Bushdidit.

[/quote]

:p oh yeah......

[quote="Darryl1958, post:10, topic:341647"]

Bushdidit.

[/quote]

:p

But only a short time ago they had enough money to bomb Syria. :confused:

Ironic that the (supposed) party of personal responsibility and accountability refuses to take any for what they’ve done. As John Stewart crudely pointed out; they’re like people who fart then blame the dog.

So they say, but if that were true the Republicans in the House wouldn’t be scrambling to cobble together a bill which actually would cover this.

This is terrible. This is all on the upper ranking officials in the DoD, and B.O. If BO wanted to send 100K to each family and fund their air fare to Dover AFB, you bet he could. He decided to simply not enforce parts of the ACA without Congrssional approval. Let's face it - what's $100K to BO? A round of golf? (I understand his course is still open) A fancy soiree at the white house with the current big names in the entertainment industry? The cost to fly an Osprey to bring the dog out to his family during vacation? Should he not "front" the money to the families, and then submit for reimbursement after the shut down ends?

They are spending more money now to keep the open-air areas of our national parks closed, and issuing $100 tickets to marathon runners training therein (goggle Valley Forge National Park)....and denying Catholic chaplains their right to celebrate the holy liturgy on base.

I know I should not judge, but do the people making these decisions not worry about the fate of their immortal souls?

And - if you really follow the news reports - and understand the system of checks and balances in our government - you would understand that it's the Republican party who is standing up for our rights and the future of our country.

God bless the family and loved ones of our deceased military.

Many people are suffering, and more will suffer, unless a solution is found. The Republicans started this game of chicken, because the President did negotiate with them the last time they tried it. He is much wiser to treat them like terrorists, and not talk to them. Otherwise, they will continue to hold him hostage at any opportunity.

[quote="epan, post:16, topic:341647"]
Many people are suffering, and more will suffer, unless a solution is found. The Republicans started this game of chicken, because the President did negotiate with them the last time they tried it. He is much wiser to treat them like terrorists, and not talk to them. Otherwise, they will continue to hold him hostage at any opportunity.

[/quote]

The Democrats are the ones who keep stonewalling any attempt at a compromise made by Republicans. The Democrats believe that getting elected means that they don't have to compromise at all for anyone. Obama said this in his addresses. So as far as Obama and the Democrats are concerned winning and having Republicans outnumbered 2 to 1 (President and Senate vs. House) means they get to play the role of dictator.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:14, topic:341647"]
Ironic that the (supposed) party of personal responsibility and accountability refuses to take any for what they've done. As John Stewart crudely pointed out; they're like people who fart then blame the dog.

[/quote]

People who are anally focused may do that, for sure.

I tend not to bring discussions down to that level, not that there is anything wrong with that.
If that is what turns your crank, carry on down that line for sure.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:17, topic:341647"]
The Democrats are the ones who keep stonewalling any attempt at a compromise made by Republicans. The Democrats believe that getting elected means that they don't have to compromise at all for anyone. Obama said this in his addresses. So as far as Obama and the Democrats are concerned winning and having Republicans outnumbered 2 to 1 (President and Senate vs. House) means they get to play the role of dictator.

[/quote]

There is nothing to compromise on. The law was passed years ago. What are you talking about? Are we now going to go about repealing every law which one party lost the fight on, and hold the American People hostage every time the minority party has sour grapes?

This sort of childish brinksmanship is very dangerous. My sincere hope is that the ring leaders of this group are soundly defeated in the next election, and they may well be, even with the gerrymandered districts which keep the Republican majority in the House.

Shall we list every law passed in the last 5 years, and bring them back onto the table, because someone doesn't like them? Should we default on our debt, because one party lost a vote?

I heard the Republican senator from Maine tonight talking about how ridiculous Boehner is being. There was never a chance in He## that he would force the President to negotiate on the one piece of legislation that he is the most proud of, and fought the hardest for. What kind of fool is Boehner? Fool enough to cause pointless suffering, and achieve nothing else. How can he possibly expect to take on the Democratic Senate, and the President who would veto a Senate vote.

Thank God that Boehner is not a military commander. He would send his own men in to die, for no reason. As it is, people may die, thanks to his silly tactic.

[quote="epan, post:19, topic:341647"]
There is nothing to compromise on. The law was passed years ago. What are you talking about? Are we now going to go about repealing every law which one party lost the fight on, and hold the American People hostage every time the minority party has sour grapes?

This sort of childish brinksmanship is very dangerous. My sincere hope is that the ring leaders of this group are soundly defeated in the next election, and they may well be, even with the gerrymandered districts which keep the Republican majority in the House.

Shall we list every law passed in the last 5 years, and bring them back onto the table, because someone doesn't like them? Should we default on our debt, because one party lost a vote?

I heard the Republican senator from Maine tonight talking about how ridiculous Boehner is being. There was never a chance in He## that he would force the President to negotiate on the one piece of legislation that he is the most proud of, and fought the hardest for. What kind of fool is Boehner? Fool enough to cause pointless suffering, and achieve nothing else. How can he possibly expect to take on the Democratic Senate, and the President who would veto a Senate vote.

Thank God that Boehner is not a military commander. He would send his own men in to die, for no reason. As it is, people may die, thanks to his silly tactic.

[/quote]

Every time a GOP member opens their mouth on this subject they look and sound more ridiculous. They know the votes that are stopping the continuing resolution are their votes and no one else's. The Democrats are not going to de-fund a law that has withstood Supreme Court scrutiny and the rational members of the GOP need to force that reality down the throats of their wayward members.

Just notice how calm the Democrats are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.