Sierra Leone abortion bill blocked by President Bai Koroma again [BBC]

Sierra Leone abortion bill blocked by President Bai Koroma again

Sierra Leone’s President Ernest Bai Koroma has again refused to sign a bill legalising abortion, saying it should be put to a referendum.

It was unanimously passed by MPs in December, but Mr Koroma refused to sign it after protests by religious leaders.

After consultations, MPs returned the bill to him last month, unaltered.

The law would allow women to terminate a pregnancy in any circumstances up to 12 weeks and in cases of incest, rape and foetal impairment up to 24 weeks.

Abortion is currently illegal in Sierra Leone under any circumstances.

Human rights groups, including Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and five Sierra Leonean organisations, wrote to President Koroma in February urging him to give the bill his assent.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/60CF/production/_88738742_antiabortionistwomenmarchingtoenterparliament.jpg

Read More At: bbc.com/news/world-africa-35793186

Sierra Leone was the site of a ghastly war not long ago.

I’m sorry I ever supported Amnesty International after reading this.

They should consider my support fully withdrawn.

What has happened to Amnesty International is yet more proof for the axiom that the left ruins everything.
The abuses that oppressive governments foist upon those without a voice are non-partisan enough, and Amnesty International became the voice of those seriously abused, hidden in dark prisons out of sight and out of mind.

Here, the organization has just become another voice of the left campaigning for leftist ideals.

I hope the President will continue to refuse to sign the bill legalizing abortion and I think Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch should stay out of it.

Amnesty International still cover news stories and situations and these remain important matters:

amnesty.org/en/latest/news/

But that one stance is unacceptable.

I can still remember them sending out mailers with the sticker of their logo one could put on their car.

Though, I would not send them money generally, I guess a lot of their work is good but I do dislike this other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.