Sign from Heaven, or just a strange occourance?

Today, on my way to classes, I was walking up a staircase, when I look out the window and see a beautiful hawk perched very close to the window. I stopped and observed it for a minute, stepping closer to the window. I was surprised when the hawk didn’t fly away or show any fear. On the contrary, when the hawk saw me, it moved closer to the window, turned it’s head and stared at me with it’s golden eyes. I felt like it was supposed to means something.When another student came up behind me slowly to see the hawk, it looked at him and flew away. When I came back out of class, I watched as the hawk flew up as I returned to the same staircase, and the bird again stared deeply into my eyes and showed no fear, but fled when a student came down the staircase behind me.

My question is this: does God send messages through animals? Can saints send messages through animals? I know St. Therese of Liseaux sends roses, but is there a saint that works through animals? I have a deep feeling that this encounter was specifically a message for me.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Native Americans believe that the hawk is a messenger who brings good news.

Is St. Francis of Assisi trying to tell you to become a Franciscan? Just a thought . . . :slight_smile:

Maybe the Lord just wanted to show you the beauty in His creation. A gentle reminder. Tim

I definitely think God uses animals to speak to us, though it is important to distinguish between God sending a message and God communicating with you. Perhaps there was not a specific message He wanted you to know, but instead wanted to remind you of how wonderful his creation is and that he cares about you. But I definitely think God uses animals. For example, if you are having a really bad day, God might send a squirrel or a cat or something your way to do something really adorable and put a smile on your face, and to let you know that everything will be alright.

A very good one…

Sometimes the simplest answer is the most accurate.

God uses any and all means to warn, speak or get a message to us…

It is a grace of God that this animal would seem docile to you but apprehensive to someone else…that in itself is significant

I one time prayed for God to give me a sign that He would help me. I don’t think that He was happy about that (since dying on the cross ought to be more than enough of a sign of His love and protection), and when I came out of the Adroation Chapel a bird flew at my head three times, trying to clip me in the face. there was no nest around or anything. don’t know if its a sign, but it is kind of funny

I think you simply had a nice, pleasant, close encounter with a hawk.

The last time God sent a message through an animal, it was Balaam’s ***.

I thought of that as I read OP’s post.
I am reluctant to subscribe to any ideas of some kind of special private revelations, but still, I personally see hawks as so very beautiful & so exceptionally majestic, that for me, they are always a reminder that God is present with me in every moment of my life.
Thanks to OP for sharing this lovely experience.

On new years eve 2011-12 i went to my fathers grave to visit and pray with my youngest son and it was very windy and my son remarked after we had prayed that it was a good day to fly a kite,i am a very spirtitual person who has had expereances that can only be explained by God working in my life,i recieved many blessings after my father passed away and have seen signs from God while at his grave,anyway we went home and the next day new years day i was a bit depressed for alot of resones im having a very hard time with a teenage son and its causing some problems with my wife and other family members,as i was walking my dog up the hill i heard a loud scream,over and over it sounded like a loud kind of whisle or bird call,but very loud,i looked op on top on the hill to see if i saw anyone and didnt see anyone,then i looked up and there was this hawk hovering above me still hollering this load hawk call as if trying to get my attention and it did,as i looked up it was not flying just hovering above me i stood there in awe trying to figure this out it hoverd so long that i thought that maybe its a kite and even looked for a string from a kite,i really felt that it was the holy spirit sending me a message of hope foe the new year,and that everything will be okay,i told me wife and even told the father after mass about it,but a few days later it hit me that while we prayed at my fathers grave i remembered my son mentioning about the kite and now i know that the hawk was a sign from heaven.

If this is supernatural - then there are two locations it can come from. Discerning good from evil is difficult (as I think St. Paul found out).

If I was you, I'd keep a journal of events that seem to be from God. It helps to reflect on those in the years coming. I had one strange animal event many years ago, and if I didn't write it down, I would have forgotten it.

I wouldn’t go looking for a specific message. I don’t think there is one.

What I think you experienced though was a moment of grace through connecting to the deeper truth of creation, in this instance an echo of the divine in that which was created by God.

I don’t think it needs a message. It is what it is. Treasure that moment as simply a way in which you can worship God. Offer Him, in your soul, that moment of beauty as a gift to say thank you for all that is. I think God would be delighted by that.

That sounds good to me! :slight_smile:

If the good Lord wanted to allow someone to have something special sign happen to him/her, then the good happened…and one doesn’t have to delve and try to find out just exactly what it is. Just keep praying!

thanks for the reply,im quite confident that this was a good sign,ive had other expereance with the dark side,even though im a devote catholic i have turned my back on God in past times and have repented and prayed that God forgives me for that.

[quote="DexUK, post:13, topic:166827"]
I wouldn't go looking for a specific message. I don't think there is one.

What I think you experienced though was a moment of grace through connecting to the deeper truth of creation, in this instance an echo of the divine in that which was created by God.

I don't think it needs a message. It is what it is. Treasure that moment as simply a way in which you can worship God. Offer Him, in your soul, that moment of beauty as a gift to say thank you for all that is. I think God would be delighted by that.

[/quote]

thanks for the reply,i think that what you said is exactly right,i shouldnt look for a specific message,i just know in my heart that it was a spiritual experance,ive had those before,somtimes i see things before they happen and ive had great blessings,i dont know if everyone has these happen or is God trying to save my soul for past sins,dont know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.