Sign of Jonah

I am trying to figure out how the 3 day resurrection that the Catholic Church states is true. In Matthew 12:40 Jesus says, " For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth?"
Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

[quote=nateph88]I am trying to figure out how the 3 day resurrection that the Catholic Church states is true. In Matthew 12:40 Jesus says, " For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth?"
Any help, would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I can’t find how it is hard for you to accept it is true. I mean even Jesus Christ prophecied his resurrection.
31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the ancients and by the high priests, and the scribes, and be killed: and after three days rise again. 32 And he spoke the word openly.Mark 8:31

Do you have in mind the issue of “inclusive reckoning”?

See bringyou.to/apologetics/num56.htm

in particular:

(D) The Meaning of “Three Days and Three Nights” in Jewish Reckoning

bringyou.to/apologetics/num56.htm#THREEDAYS

Keep the Faith
jmt

What I am saying is in Matthew 12:40 Jesus prophecied his death as being three days and three nights before resurrecting. Jesus is said to have died on Friday. So Friday, friday night, saturday, saturday night, sunday. That is 3 days and 2 nights.

[quote=nateph88]What I am saying is in Matthew 12:40 Jesus prophecied his death as being three days and three nights before resurrecting. Jesus is said to have died on Friday. So Friday, friday night, saturday, saturday night, sunday. That is 3 days and 2 nights.
[/quote]

John Taylor’s link (See Post # 3) has a pretty thorough response to your question. The phrase is not a literal “72 hour” three day period, but three days - inclusive of parts of days. Hence, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is 3 days, even though he was crucified and died on Friday and rose on Sunday, it’s three days. Your confusion lies in the fact that you are trying to interpret the phrase “three days and three nights” out of context with the time, place and manner in which it was spoken by Jesus.

Thanks for the information John Taylor :thumbsup:

hello nateph88…posted this on another thread relating to this same issue and thought you might like to check it out…it’s by a non-Catholic believer in Jesus Christ:

ecclesia.org/truth/3days-3nights.html

The Four Days of Cornelius

Now let us consider a final clear-cut example of inclusive reckoning that should lay this point to rest with every open-minded reader. It is taken from the New Testament and reveals graphically how days were numbered in the days of Jesus. The following is an account of a 72 hour period, and it calls 72 exact hours “four days,” not three days!

Start at Ninth Hour: In Acts 10:3, Cornelius “saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him.” Follow the story carefully now. He was instructed in the vision to send men to Joppa and call for Peter. “And when the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of his household servants, and … he sent them to Joppa” (verses 7-8).

One Day: “On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew night unto the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray” (verse 9). While praying he had a vision, and the men knocked at his door when his vision ended (verse 17). Please notice that this is one day after Cornelius received his angel visitor. Peter invited the men to come in and lodged them (verse 23).

Two Days: “… And on the morrow Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him” (verse 23). Take note that this is now the second day since the men were dispatched by Cornelius.

Three Days: “And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them” (verse 24). This is the third day since Cornelius had his angelic vision. But don’t miss this point - a few minutes later, in talking to Peter, Cornelius said, “Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing” (verse 30).

Three Days = Four days???

Now we get the picture in mind. It had been exactly three days, to the very hour (the ninth hour). Yet Cornelius said, “Four days ago.” How could he say it was four days when it was only three days? Because he used inclusive reckoning, which meant that parts of four days were involved.

For example, in Jewish time, the ninth hour is 3PM. Now, scripture does not say which day Cornelius saw his vision, but it does not matter. Let us hypothetically start on Wednesday. Cornelius saw his vision at 3PM Wednesday (Acts 10:3). Thursday, the men knocked on Peter’s door (verse 17). Friday, Peter went with the men (verse 24). And Saturday at 3 PM, Cornelius said he received his vision “four days ago.” Even though it was 72 hours ago (three days ago), Cornelius said it was four days ago. Count in for your self! Wednesday (1), Thursday (2), Friday (3) and Saturday (4) = Four Days! This is the scriptural way of keeping track of days, which goes contrary to the modern way of keeping track of time.

Now, If Jesus was put in the tomb on Wednesday, and resurrected on Saturday, scripture would have said it was four days. But it describes Jesus’ resurrection as only three days. This is the way scripture describes the length of time Jesus was in the tomb. Even though it was only a part of those three days (part of the 6th day, the entire 7th day, part of the 1st day), it is counted as three full days! Friday (1), Sabbath (2), and Sunday (3) = Three Days!

Hope this helps

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.