Sign of peace...

Is it just me or is there anyone else out there who can’t stand this part of Mass?

Maybe it’s because I’m a bit anxious, but when it comes time for this part of the Mass I find myself stressing that my palms are sweating.

I attend daily Mass every now and again and the Pastor skips this part of the Mass, I love it, stress free.

Am I crazy? Or are there other people out there who can do without the gladhanding?

Since it is an optional part of Mass, our pastor skips it. I don’t miss it at all. I don’t stress over it, but it is distracting and usually overdone when I go to other parishes.

I’ve seen it omitted and no one seemed to care. It is totally unnecessary and is obviously just something they came up with in the attempt to re-create what they imagined happned at some of the primitive masses, nothing more and nothing less.

My Parish goes further with this. Of course we are a tourest state, but this carrying it too far in my opinon. Just before Mass a lay reader, usually, steps upto the mic and asks for all vistors to rise and then the same reader starts to clap for them. And the reader ask all to stand and to greet all around you, vistor or not. And of course we do the sign of peace during Mass and all in this parish trys to hold you hand in the Our Father. These same ones wanting to hold your hand, after Mass they won’t think about greeting or talking to you. Their in to big a hurry to run you over to leave.:frowning:

For the life of me I can’t understand why anyone would think that people would want to hold hands with other men or total strangers during the Our Father? While reciting the Our Father I want to be thinking of God, not thinking “I can’t wait until this is over so I can let go of this dudes clammy hand”.

And like you said after Mass people are lining up at the door to leave, they don’t want to talk to you. And I’m fine with that, I follow Christ, not my fellow parishoners maybe we’ll meet up at a spaghetti dinner or something. This gladhanding comes off as forced and phoney to me, I do wish they would just acknowledge that in large parishes most people are complete strangers from the folks in the pew in front of them, and complete strangers like space from other strangers. They especially don’t like to hold their hands, or put on a toothy grin and swap sweaty meathooks. Maybe I’m loosing it, it’s late.

The Sign of Peace is such a distracting part of the Mass for me.

When we are close to it…I start looking around to see who is alone to shake their hand. It’s so noticeable to see someone who has come w/o family stand waiting for families to get done. Then wondering if someone even wants to shake my hand or just gesture or nod. The limp handshakes like the person didn’t want to shake my hand in the first place. :rolleyes:

For me, it’s very distracting. I talk with & meet peope after mass during the breakfast our parish serves.

I don’t mind it, but that probably got to do with the way it’s done here. Bow to the altar, and bow to the people on your right and left. 5 seconds.

As I recall…what is it that goes first;)…the sign of peace was a part of the High Mass where a deacon, or a second priest, was greeted by the main celebrant by placing hands on one another’s shoulders. Otherwise, it was a verbal greeting and response between the server(s) and/or the congregation.
In our touchy-feely Mass, I generally exchange handclasps with those immediately around me and nod to those more distant, while saying, “Peace,” in one of three languages, Latin, English or Spanish. Latin tends to result in quizical looks:) .

For me, it serves to distract from what as happened on the Altar, and is completely unnecessary. Its like we are celebrating the ‘community’ while Our Lord and Our God, is substantially, really present in front of us all - We should be continually on our knees, adoring and worshiping him, not shaking hands with Joe in the pew behind us…

I have to agree with this…

Oh please tell us what it is in Latin!
And for those of us who are Latin challenged, tell us how to pronounce it!

Thanks!

Pax is peace in Latin.

It happens here also. I find it easier.

Can’t stand it. I make sure when I have to attend the Novus Ordo that I am holding one of my three kids at that time.

Ken

I just kneel down and bow my head in prayer.

And if someone catches me before i do so, i shake thier hand and say “Pax tecum”, most dont hear me anyway.

Well, really, it’s not so much a celebration of community as it is a final preparation for us …

If therefore thou offer thy gift at the altar, and there thou remember that thy brother hath anything against thee; leave there thy offering before the altar, and go first to be reconciled to thy brother: and then coming thou shalt offer thy gift.

Consequently, I think it’s more in the execution that the problem lies, for those who have a problem w/ it. (Needless to say, I don’t.)

I’m one of the lucky ones. :rolleyes: I belong to a parish that shakes hands at the beginning of Mass, does “Peace be with You” and holds hands during the Our Father. By the end of Mass, the people sitting around me are like family. :wink:

A case of OCD might come in handy.

It’s Pax, I’m pretty sure it’s pronounced the same way it’s spelled. It’s on the EWTN mass, when the priest says “peace be with you”(they say it in latin).
I used to be uncomfortable with the sign of peace, but I always pray to the Holy Spirit right before doing it, and now I don’t mind it. I can remember the JOY I used to feel when one of our priests didn’t include it in the daily mass, I’ve reformed myself since then.:slight_smile:

When I’m forced to attend the no, I leave the pew right after the minor elevation and go stand in the vestibule until the hand-holding and glad-handing has passed, then I’m back in the pew for the Agnus Dei.

No muss, no fuss and no strangers pawing me against my will.

Our priest skips it every time. It’s wonderful! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.