Sign of the cross (is it Biblical?)

let’s discuss here, I have also links in (Edited)…what is your opinion?

(Edited)

also in (Edited)

(Edited)

hope you will give opinions to it…thanks.

Matthew 28:19

19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

We recite the words of Jesus Christ when we bless ourselves by making the sign of the cross. It is a reminder that we belong to him. We have been bought at a price.

Your posts have been edited due to the inclusion of a request/suggestion for other forum readers/members to visit someone else’s website for the purposes of apologetic debate.

In an effort to illuminate and explain the Catholic faith, CAF makes every effort to provide our participants with a pleasant and informative place on the internet where Catholics and non-Catholics may gather.

It is our hope that respectful dialogue and discussion will lead to better faith understandings. And so in charity, we ask that our forums not be used for encouraging mass visits to other websites. In the past these kinds of efforts, although perhaps well intentioned, leave participants at other websites with negative impressions.

Your cooperation in helping promote these aims of faith exposition, hope for fruitful discussion and charity in implementation are sincerely appreciated.

However you are free to post any questions or comments, (in English only) that you saw elsewhere and discuss it.

Sincerely,
Michael Francis
Apologetics Moderator

Is it Biblical?
By who’s interpretation of “Biblical”?
By who’s translation of the “Bible”?
Why does it matter whether it’s “Biblical” or not? It is Christian. One of the oldest and most Christian of symbols.

I have no intention of justifying to anyone whether the sign of the cross is Biblical. If I were discussing faith with anyone who has this narrow a view of God, Jesus and Christianity, there would be much larger issues to deal with than the sign of the cross.

Pax
James

It is no more or less biblical than holding hands during the “Our Father”, dancing in the isles during services, Raising hands up and bowing heads during heated moments during service, having a cross in church, etc…

Normally, I am pretty calm about these sort of things as it comes down to uninformed positions usually, that being said, and forgive my bluntness, This argument has more to do with people thinking the Catholic Church is the WoB and absolutely nothing with the bible.

Why is this argument not thrown at Lutherans, Eastern Orthodox, or Episcopals? Nope, you only hear this argument directed at Catholics…

It surprises me that anyone would complain about someone making the sign of the cross during prayer… Lord knows we don’t want to remember that it is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

In Christ

Hi Flewen and welcome to the forums! :thumbsup: -

This is a good question and it does owe a bit to bible interpretation. Anyone who reads the bible and is familiar with it knows that there are all kinds of “connections” within scripture. There are prophecies of Jesus for instance, or prefiguration events in the Old Testament that take place in the New Testament. Peter speaks about one such event in his first letter, i.e. :*

1 Peter 3:

20 *… God patiently waited in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water. 21 This prefigured baptism, which saves you now. It is not a removal of dirt from the body but an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
So if we do a little looking around we can make determinations of this sort using the same methods as the Apostles, by comparing scriptures.

We are all familiar with the Exodus story of Passover where Moses is instructed by God to have all the Hebrews put the blood of a lamb on thier doorposts and lintels so that the Lord will pass them and kill the firstborn of the Egyptians (Exodous 12).

Well, I was reading Revelation and I noticed chapter 7 had a similar story. Not exactly the same but enough elements to be similar.

Revelation Chapter 7
1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth so that no wind could blow on land or sea or against any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel come up from the East, holding the seal of the living God. He cried out in a loud voice to the four angels who were given power to damage the land and the sea, 3 "Do not damage the land or the sea or the trees until we put the seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God." 4 I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal, one hundred and forty-four thousand marked from every tribe of the Israelites:

I know that in the early Church the seal was used, as recorded in 2 Cor 1:21 22 "But the one who gives us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God, he has also put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first installment."

The seal was used in the rite of Confirmation and still is. This we Catholics know as the Sign of the Cross on the forehead using chrism oils, the same thing Paul talks about in 2 Corinthians.

But how do we know that the seal is the Sign of the Cross?

Turn to Ezekiel chapter 9. We find a similar story to that of Passover and, now, Revelation ch.7.

Ezekiel Chapter 9
1 Then he cried loud for me to hear: Come, you scourges of the city! 2 With that I saw six men coming from the direction of the upper gate which faces the north, each with a destroying weapon in his hand. In their midst was a man dressed in linen, with a writer’s case at his waist. They entered and stood beside the bronze altar. 3 Then he called to the man dressed in linen with the writer’s case at his waist, 4 saying to him: Pass through the city (through Jerusalem) and mark an X on the foreheads of those who moan and groan over all the abominations that are practiced within it. 5 To the others I heard him say: Pass through the city after him and strike! Do not look on them with pity nor show any mercy! 6 Old men, youths and maidens, women and children–wipe them out! But do not touch any marked with the X; begin at my sanctuary. So they began with the men (the elders) who were in front of the temple. 7 Defile the temple, he said to them, and fill the courts with the slain; then go out and strike in the city.

*I was astounded to read this story! Look at it again if you need to. In older translations the "X" here is simply the word “mark”. But in this translation (NAB) there is a definate “X”. So I decided to look up the original Hebrew to see what it says.
blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/c.pl?book=Eze&chapter=9&verse=4&version=KJV#4

The Hebrew letter is a Tau! The Tau is the same as the letter “T”. It is the same in Greek.

Hitting another link on the Blue Letter Bible we can see any other passages that are refered to. blueletterbible.org/tsk_b/Eze/9/4.html#set_a_mark_1

It seems that all my “discoveries” have already been discovered, along with several more.

The Sign of the Cross was prefigured in the Old Testament! Awesome!

Subrosa

What about this Sign of the Cross would not be biblical??

The word Bible is not biblical since it cannot be found there. I always smile at what one considers biblical or not biblical without the context of Tradition. Read Luke 1:1-4 to see why things were written down.

What about the fish symbol seen on cars and clothing all over the place. Is that biblical??

How about a figure of the Cross itself displayed in many Protestant Churches. Is it biblical to do that??

And this Christmas I see many Nativity Scenes in non-Catholic settings. Is this biblical??

YES!! The Sign of the Cross is as biblical as the reason why Christ died…teachccd :slight_smile:

yes sir, I apologize for doing those such…hehehe, anyway, I just want to know your sides…I’m also a catholic…I just want your help.:slight_smile:

pax tecum

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.