Signature of a Saint

So I have a signature of Saint John Paul II on a photograph in my house. Is this a relic and what class of relic is it? I suppose it would be third-class if he touched the photograph as he signed it?

I don’t know the answer, but that’s seriously cool! :smiley:

Hum…He * was not a first class relic when he signed it --so not it would not be a 3rd class relic. Nor a second I would say -for it is not something he used* really in his life here on earth.

But certainly is great to have!

Does a third-class relic have to be touched against the corpse of a saint? Or simply touched by someone who has since been declared a saint? At canonization, do items used by the newly-declared saint become second-class relics? If so, I imagine the same would apply to third-class relics, but I have no actual evidence for this belief - it just makes sense to me.

Second class relics are yes items that were used by the Saint or Blessed.

Third class relics have been touched to first class relics (or second).

I would not apply the idea of their touching the item during life – (you would end up with a whole world of third class relics)

for that is not -by definition- something that is being “touched to a first class relic”.

True - I guess if you took into the full account of all things a saint touches in their lifetime (but do not ‘use’, everything would be). Thanks for helping clarify that!

“So extraordinary were the mighty deeds God accomplished at the hands of Paul that when face cloths or aprons that touched his skin were applied to the sick, their diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them.” (Acts 19:11-12)

This passage is generally used in defense of the practice of venerating relics, so it seems to me that the handkerchiefs mentioned, which were touched to St. Paul while he was alive, would count as third class relics. And if that is the case, I see no reason why the signature of St. John Paul II could not be a third class relic.

Yes I understand that such good to use to point towards the working of God via physical items such as relics.

Remember those items were touched to the apostles during their lives with faith and the intention of seeking the healing and deliverance of God.

I would not call that which St. John Paul II signed “a relic” (I leave the determination of course to the Church).

Though of course one may feel free to pray with the item while invoking his intercession!

I would.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.