Signing someone else's name

I recently came back to work for my old boss part-time. I used to sign his partner’s name and his initials for certain assignments that my boss wanted done. He told me to sign his name, and actually his partner knows and approves of it. Is this still ok?

Can you elaborate on what your signature is meant to represent? Are you representing that your boss’s partner completed certain work tasks that you actually did yourself?

Well my boss is a real estate agent/loan officer. Him and his partner invest in homes, so they make offers on certain houses. I sign/initial his name as the buyer.

Alright, well, given that you’re an honest person and both your boss and his partner are sanctioning this, then strictly speaking, I don’t see it as being morally problematic. But it doesn’t sound like something I’d agree to do. It sounds like we’re talking about business agreements where lots of money and property are changing hands. If one of these agreements becomes the subject of a legal investigation (civil or even criminal), you could wind up under a microscope for your handwriting being on a document that’s representing someone else’s signature.

I just find the arrangement a bit suspicious. If your boss’s partner can’t find the time to sign his own name, is it safe to assume he/she doesn’t even look at these agreements, if only to make sure the terms are correct?

This is a secular perspective. I have no idea what Catholicism has to say about it.

Considering most Catholic parish offices I’m quite sure have a stamp the secretary uses that appears to be the priest’s signature I’m not sure the Catholic perspective would be much different. Perhaps you could request that such a stamp be made.

Decades ago, I worked at one place, as a temp, and was handed a huge stack of papers to sign someone’s name to, because he didn’t have time to do it. I believe it was before they had these signature stamps, etc.

I know I did it as part of my job, am not sure how widespread this practice is.

If you have their permission, it should be ok, but I would ask for written authorization, just to cover yourself, in case something weird comes up.

This actually has been a long-standing tradition for millenia - and even what the Pope does, in a sense. In many ancient kingdoms (and possibly some not-so-ancient), the vizier/vicar/prime minister/chancellor (same position, different name based on location & language) was given the king’s seal. The “seal” was like the king’s signature at a time when most people could not read or write. Anything that was sealed by the king’s seal could be considered “signed” by him. But it was almost always the chancellor who actually pressed the seal. The Pope is considered Jesus’s prime minister - and as such, seals/signs things with Christ’s seal (the fisherman’s ring).

Regardless, even in recent times, many US Presidents have had signature stamps (do you REALLY think they actually take time to sign all the papers giving condolences to veterans’ families when a veteran dies?) or have had their secretaries sign for them, etc. Such is called an “authorized forgery”. In other words, it’s not the authentic signature, but the signature carries all the weight as if it were the authentic thing, because the person who did the signing did so with the permission of the person he/she was representing.

Yes, it’s practically a universal practice in business and government.

Thank you so much everyone!

The bosses creating such a thing would provide you more legal protection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.