Signing up for a political party?

Hi I am considering signing up to support a political party. The majority of their policies I agree with but their policy on asylum seekers feels like it greatly lacks compassion. Rather than welcome people in need, it pretty much suggests that if you come illegally seeking asylum you will be turned back. The only thing is the opposing major political parties policies aren’t that much better either and they have worse policies in many other areas (including giving a conscious vote on homosexual marriage).

Do you think that there is a problem with supporting a political party but not supporting all that they do, but instead use that as a means to voice your opinion on how a better policy could be achieved within the party?

Many Thanks for your comments

No human system is going to be perfect. But if you do not participate, you do not have a voice in shaping policies or supporting candidates who aspire to do better and change for the better.

It is not wrong to be involved politically. One must decide whether joining a party or not is the way to do so. That is a prudential matter. We cannot tell you it is “right” or “wrong”. In some political systems, being a member is the only way to actively advocate for changes in the party/system.

Unless you live in Germany or a country that has a major political party with almost 0 positions in conflict with Church positions (whether about irreformable teachings or prudential teachings), that’s pretty much what you’re forced to do to make more of a substantial difference IMNSHO.

Since you’re asking for people’s personal opinions, here’s mine: yes, I see a problem in that, by supporting any political party, one supports the system in place. Political parties exist for the purpose of pooling votes together under a common banner, and thereby achieve the goals of the people in the party.

The logical problem with this is by participating in a party that way, it is an attempt by the people in the party to force some of their views onto the rest of the electorate, and further to coerce the population into adopting the party’s platform.

But then, I’m no fan of the democratic process. If a person can vote to control his neighbors, thus putting them under his thumb politically, then I’m against it.

Don’t worry about Party, decide on your own ideology and vote for candidates, remembering that the dog catcher school board member who becomes mayer will then run for congress, the president, and declare himself Pope.

I recommend Conservatism and Capitalism. Be careful what you consider “asylum” and who is offering, if you wanted to get-cute with the idea, YOU are requesting asylum from your decision to support a party, and there are people willing to sequester you.

My personal opinion: If you live in a Blue State you are part of the problem, if you have a (D) after your name, the problem is part of you.

Peace and good luck

however, in some countries you do not have a say in selecting the candidate who will run unless you are a registered member of that party. In the US, it varies by state. Some states have open primaries and some have closed primaries. You cannot vote in the closed primary without party affiliation. One need not stay on the sidelines. One may certainly work to shape a party or which candidates are on the general election ballot.

Which is nice and all, but not a party in the political system. And, what exactly is ‘conservatism’ and what type of ‘capitalism’? No human system is perfect, and labels are often meaningless. In various countries the terms “Christian”, “Democrat”, “Labor”, and “Conservative” have different meanings in politics than in other contexts.

The OP is in Australia, so Blue State has no meaning there.

Unless you live in Germany, where all the major parties use “Democrat” in their name.

however, in some countries you do not have a say in selecting the candidate who will run unless you are a registered member of that party. In the US, it varies by state. Some states have open primaries and some have closed primaries. You cannot vote in the closed primary without party affiliation. One need not stay on the sidelines. One may certainly work to shape a party or which candidates are on the general election ballot.

All “candidates” start from somewhere or else the point is moot, your cause is lost, but the right bunch of people might be along shortly to free you from it. Develop your own political philosophy (to the point where you never need to amend it) and pay attention.

And, what exactly is ‘conservatism’ and what type of ‘capitalism’?

Fudge-ing the definition is as wrong as ignoring the fact that such things have been exhaustively hashed-out in the human lexicon. You don’t hold your definition up to Society and change the term. You hold-fast the term and hold society up to the definition, and change Society where necessary. [TERMS, J.M. Thomas R., 2012]. If not, we’re going to do “anything goes” except we’re going to use my version. Don’t know what that is? Well, you shouldn’t have missed the meeting.

Originally Posted by Least
If you live in a Blue State you are part of the problem,

The OP is in Australia, so Blue State has no meaning there.

Your not “there” the meaning “here” has the same meaning as if I told it to you while you were “there.” If I text that line enough, it won’t make it any more true, and it won’t make it any more false, it will just make you text it. My job is done here, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Least
if you have a (D) after your name, the problem is part of you.

Unless you live in Germany, where all the major parties use “Democrat” in their name.

Yes, if you are “Demokratische”, I’m afraid, you are also suspect (and not just from the Semantic Police).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.