Signs From God

How do I know when God is speaking to me? There have been times when I have been very worried about certain things and troubling thoughts. Then I see something on tv or read about something that relates to what I’m thinking about right at that moment. Has anybody experienced this?

Heh, I’ve actually had that happen to me… it still does happen. :o In all honesty, I’ve always thought of it as a sixth sense, to me, but I really think it depends on your personal and spiritual feelings. It could be nothing, it could be something. :shrug: …It could be hindsight bias. :wink: Sorry, I’m just brainstorming for you. :slight_smile:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Hi there,

I got the following from a forwarded email. Although it may not answer your question, but it shows how God can speak to you. Believe me it is not going to be with a clasp of thunder, bright light from the sky etc.

God Speaks, If Only You Would Listen

This will give you the chills… .
GOOD chills.

A young man had been to Wednesday Night Bible
Study.

The Pastor had shared about listening to God and obeying the Lord’s voice

The young man couldn’t help but wonder, ‘Does God still speak to people?’

After service, he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message.
Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways.

It was about ten o’clock when the young man started
driving home. Sitting in his car, he just began to pray, ‘God…If you still speak to people, speak to me. I will listen. I will do my best to obey.’

As he drove down the main street of his town, he had the strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk.

He shook his head and said out loud, ‘God is that you?’ He didn’t get a reply and started on toward home.

But again, the thought, buy a gallon of milk.

The young man thought about Samuel and how he didn’t recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli.

‘Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk.’ It didn’t seem like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. He stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started off toward home.

As he passed Seventh Street , he again felt the urge, ‘Turn Down that street.’

This is crazy he thought, and drove on past the intersection.

Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street .

At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh.

Half jokingly, he said out loud,

‘Okay, God, I will.’

He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop He pulled over to the curb and looked around. He was in a semi- commercial area of town. It wasn’t the best but it wasn’t the worst of neighborhoods either.
The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark like the people were already in bed.

Again, he sensed something, ‘Go and give the milk to the people in the house across the street.’ The young man looked at the house. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat back in the car seat.

‘Lord, this is insane. Those people are asleep and if I wake them up, they are going
to be mad and I will look stupid.’ Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk.

Finally, he opened the door, ‘Okay God, if this is you, I will go to the door and I will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay. I want to be obedient… I guess that will count for some thing, but if they don’t answer right away, I am out of here.’

He walked across the street and rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man’s voice yelled
out, ‘Who is it? What do you want?’ Then the door opened before the young man could get away.

The man was standing there in his jeans and T-shirt. He looked like he just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn’t seem too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep. ‘What is it?’

The young man thrust out the gallon of milk, ‘Here, I brought this to you.’ The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway.

Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen. The man was following her holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears streaming down his face…

The man began speaking and half crying, ‘We were just praying. We had
some big bills this month and we ran out of money. We didn’t have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk.’

His wife in the kitchen yelled out, ‘I ask him to send an Angel with some. Are you an Angel?’

The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put in the man’s hand. He turned and walked back toward his car and the tears were streaming down his face.
He knew that God still answers prayers.

Jesus said, ‘If you are ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father.’

I absolutely believe that God speaks to us all of the time. We only need to pay attention. The more we pay attention, the more often we will be aware of His presence. The more we pray, the more sensitive we become to God’s action in our lives. It’s beautiful, really!

But not everything is a sign from God. How do we know?

Cool story, thanks for sharing, even if it was real or not.

After a lot of practice you will begin to recognize the Shepherd’s voice. Until then, does it bring you peace? Even if your eyes are opened and you realize that you are at fault for something, do you feel hope? Is it within God’s laws, ie, are you following the Golden Rule? Are you asking for God’s will, not yours? Pray for God to show you His presence in your life and the lives of those around you. Take time to listen when you pray. God is quiet and gentle. He never forces himself on you. Trust that He loves you. Be grateful. “Seek me and you will find me when you search for me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13

I don’t really feel peace. Sometimes it’s fear, other times it’s shame, other times it’s despair. I know despair is a sin and is not something that God wants me to fall into. However, I also think that God is trying to “shock” me so that I’ll change.

If I confess my sins there will be so much that I will have to say to make an accurate confession that I fear even putting myself through that. I don’t think I would consider what I feel “peace” and “hope”.

I suggest asking God for help with discernment on this point. Also talk to a priest and go to confession. You will feel GREAT relief.

Hello,

I sense that God speaks to us if we listen to his voice. Yesterday after coming back from school, it was late I believe it was like 1 am, anyways I had this idea in my mind to listen to EWTN, so I did listen and turned on the TV and after like 10 minutes, Mother Angelica show was on, so I did listen for a while then I was taken by sleep, then I suddenly woke up and then Mother Angelica started to talk about not living in the past but to live in the present moment, and she started to talk about people who keeps reliving their painful past over and over and over, strangely I was struggeling that day with those painful memories and I was reliving my past over and over and over. So the lesson that I learned is to live in the present moment. I felt that God wanted to speak with me. Please pray for me so I can live in the present moment and not in my past.

Glory to Jesus

Will,
All of those things that you mentioned are feelings. We all have them. I don’t believe that God sends us fear, shame and despair, but rather, He loves us and wants our healing. Confession is a wonderful, freedom-giving grace from God. If confession is too scarey, pray for the courage to go. Making an appointment to talk with a priest can also be a helpful suggestion that someone gave you. Just remember, priests are human beings who are trying to help. Not every priest has all of the right words, but God is always listening and trying to lead you in the right direction. Remember, fear does NOT come from God. The most often repeated phrase throughout the Bible is, "Do not be afraid."
I will pray for you.

I am so tired and frustrated from looking for “signs from God” that I’m not looking anymore. I won’t think anything is a sign from God unless I know without a doubt. No more of this “could it be a sign from God?” stuff for me.

I am completely convinced God has spoken to me in this way many times. These kinds of words have really been strengthening to my faith and have served to create deeper intimacy between myself and our dear Lord.

God absolutely speaks to us. Although sometimes I have trouble being patient and listening too, the Lord is nevertheless trying to speak with us. Some great advice a Priest once gave me was to pray, and then ask the Lord what He thinks, or what you should do. (Or any other similiar questions.) But the point is that we need to include in our prayers time to let the Lord respond. Praying for you! God Bless!
Jacob :signofcross:

I re-read this thread even though I posted it a few months ago. Afterward I asked God what I should say in confession and asked what He thought. I said something like, “here is what I’m thinking of saying. What do you think?” Then I saw one of the Catholic Quotes on Catholic Answers that said:

“If I am right Thy grace impart still in the right to stay, If I am wrong, Oh teach my heart to find the better way.” - St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

This quote made me feel that God was speaking to me. I felt peace when I read it.

:thumbsup:

My dear friend

God speaks to us in many ways. He typically uses our 5 senses to communicate to us. Nothing happens without God causing or permitting it s we should not be surprised if thru various means God communcates with us. We must be careful about acting on what we perceive as communications from God though. Its best to consult a good spiritual director or very holy person for advice before we act on what we perceve as Gods will being communcated to us. Especially on important decisions.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.