Signs in the Zodiac

Hello, this is my first post in this forum.

The reason I signed up it’s because I have a very serious question about the horoscope or the “zodiac”. I have a friend who is a very, very knowledgeable catholic and for some strange reason she also believes that a person born in certain day of the year is likely to act some way, for example “aries think this way, tauros act like that” etc…

She is totally against card readings or the horoscope telling you the future but she does believe in what I said above.

What should she know about the signs of the zodiac?

I’m not extremely knowledgeable in the area of horoscopes, but my understanding is this: people who believe in them think that somehow the positions of the planets and stars affect our daily lives and emotions. If you believe in God and free will, this is kind of nonsensical and a tad kooky.

Also, I find it rather funny that 6 billion people can be categorized into 12 different personality types according to horoscopes. It just doesn’t make sense. Hope I helped in some way. Not sure if I did.

You did, I totally agree with that. I was highly disappointed when she started telling me all about the horoscope, because we had been talking for over 2 hours about the bible, and then all the sudden she brought that up.

I wonder what would be the best way to tell her that this is wrong and she should not believe in that.

There’s a thing called precession which means that the stars above us now aren’t in the same position as they were, say 2,000 years ago.

I was born in July. 2,000 years ago they looked up into the skies and saw that the constellation of Cancer was predominant. Now, 2,000 years later, it’s shifted so that Gemini is predominant, and yet I’m supposed to be affected by the constellation Cancer!
:confused:

That does not of course disprove that I’m now actually being influenced by Gemini - but it does negate all the predictions made in horoscopes - 'cause they’re all based on the wrong star sign.

Here check this out from CA library about horoscopes signs of the zodiac catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9502frs.asp

The signs of the zodiac and horoscopes is something Catholics and all other Christians should not buy into any form. Hope the article helps.

Pretty foolish to take it seriously. I’m a Scorpio, and interestingly enough, I fit the description perfectly. I don’t put any faith in it, but if somebody asks about my personality I say I’m a “perfect Scorpio” to make a long desciption short. My sister was born a Leo, but doesn’t behave like one naturally. She puts faith in the stars and has changed her behavior to become more like a Leo, makes her decisions as a Leo would. It’s all coincidence, nothing to take seriously.

:thumbsup:

Oh, trust me. You’re not the only one who finds that a bit questionable!

Zodiac is something to stay far, far away from.

I was asked once what my sign was. I answered, the sign of the Cross. :wink:

It’s not one of the 12 signs of the zodiac, but it’s the only one that matters.

That’s a good answer. When they ask my sign I always say I don’t have one. Always get protests. I quip "Would you ask a Moslem what their *Christian *name is?

These are all false gods. As is superstition of any kind. But it’s interesting how many more people believe in these public superstitions, even those that pray a lot.

Some say that delving into the Zodiac is akin to Uija Boards and other phenomena like odd chants. It could invite a demon.

I do not see anything absolutely wrong with her thinking. She might be wrong from a scientific point of view but not from a religious one.

I would not be surprised by a correlation to the time of birth (e.g. season, weather, moon phase). I can predict the change of weather from the pain due to my surgery. Just because we do not know things or can explain them from a scientific point of view that does not mean that they are not possible.

What is wrong is from a scientific point of view might make us look like fools but does not imply that is against our religious beliefs. For the example if someone thinks that the gravity change because of the alignments of the planets will affect us can be wrong from the science take but has no religious implication. However, if you talk about mystical astral powers then you are wrong for both religion and science.

Although there is the constellation called the Southern Cross. :smiley:

We are all created with a FREE WILL. If some Zodiac sign predetermines our actions then we act out of some controlling force and NOT our God-given free will.

I am a Scorpion too and don’t fit my horoscope at all! Thank goodness. All the little blurts that I have read about Scorpions describe the signs as moody, overly sexed individuals.:o

I am a nice, normal person who is overjoyed not to be controlled by the position of the stars at her birth.:thumbsup: You are right, it is all coincidence.

Guess I’ll have a happy husband then, huh? Coincidence or determined by the stars, I’m sure he won’t care.:rotfl:

Best horoscope of all time (mine, about 8 years ago) from The Onion:

Scorpio
Experts in the field of ballistics will conclude beyond a shadow of a doubt that you throw like a ****** girl.

:ROTF:

These things are a bunch of malarkey. That some people fit the archetypes does not validate them – it’s pure freakin’ cooincidence.

If your friend is seriously devoted to them, however, this is problematic. Pray for her, and draw her away from them. If she’s as devout as you say she is, demonstrate how the Church condemns such things.

Peace,
Dante

From Monty Python…
Mrs. O: [reading her horoscope] You have green, scaly skin, and a soft yellow underbelly with a series of fin-like ridges running down your spine and tail. Although lizardlike in shape, you can grow anything up to thirty feet in length with huge teeth that can bite off great rocks and trees. You inhabit arid subtropical zones, and you wear spectacles.
Mrs. Trepidatious: It’s very good about the spectacles.

:stuck_out_tongue: I have never heard that particular Monty Python bit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.