Signs of Contradiction

To today’s world, living the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience will be a sign of contradiction. But embracing the Lord’s calling will ultimately lead to the freedom and joy which the world cannot offer. Only by living this life of ‘contradiction’ can one find ultimate fulfillment.

Why Celibacy? Living according to this state of life is done for the greater good of the Kingdom. It is embracing a life totally devoted to love of God and of brother and sister.

Find out more about the Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Conception and their lifestyle in this short video clip:

sistersop.com/blog/2012/01/11/poverty-chastity-obedience-%e2%80%94-a-sign-of-contradiction/

Just a side comment: chastity and celibacy are not the same thing. Chastity means not having sex; celibacy is not getting married.

Some Marxists are grouchy, some Marxes are Groucho.

[quote="svid2, post:2, topic:279070"]
Just a side comment: chastity and celibacy are not the same thing. Chastity means not having sex; celibacy is not getting married.

[/quote]

I think in the Catholic Church, chastity is usually used to refer to the morality of sexual relations, while celibacy means to abstain from sexual relations entirely.
Being chaste can also mean abstaining from sex, but you can be chaste by only having sexual relations with your spouse. And a person can be married but still celibate by refraining from sexual intercourse.

[quote="IrishRush, post:3, topic:279070"]
I think in the Catholic Church, chastity is usually used to refer to the morality of sexual relations, while celibacy means to abstain from sexual relations entirely.
Being chaste can also mean abstaining from sex, but you can be chaste by only having sexual relations with your spouse. And a person can be married but still celibate by refraining from sexual intercourse.

[/quote]

You beat me to it.

In other words, chastity is not not having sex; it is keeping sex in its proper place.

[quote="svid2, post:2, topic:279070"]

[/quote]

Actually, I believe celibacy means not having sex. Chastity means being sexually pure and sinless. So in a marriage, one can be not celibate and yet chaste - it is perfectly chaste to have sex with one's husband or wife. But it is not chaste to fornicate or to masturbate. So somebody can also be celibate but unchaste if they're not having sex but they're masturbating.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.