Signs of Infection Seen in Child Believed to Have Been Cured of H.I.V

This is very sad, although not entirely surprising. HIV/AIDS has been a very difficult disease. There have been a long history of promising developments which were initially lauded as breakthroughs, but which ultimately failed to work out.

A child in Mississippi who was thought to have been cured of H.I.V. after aggressive drug treatment in infancy is now showing signs of infection with the virus, federal health officials announced on Thursday, a serious setback to hopes for a cure for AIDS.

The report in March 2013 that the child had apparently been cured touched off excitement among doctors around the world. Dr. Deborah Persaud, an associate professor at Johns Hopkins Children’s Center and the lead author of the report, said it was “proof of principle that we can cure H.I.V. infection if we can replicate this case.”

So Thursday’s announcement was especially deflating. During a telephone news conference held by the National Institutes of Health, Dr. Hannah B. Gay, the pediatrician at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson who first put the child on large doses of antiretroviral drugs, said it was “like a punch in the gut.”
nytimes.com/2014/07/11/health/signs-of-infection-seen-in-child-believed-to-have-been-cured-of-hiv.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Praying for this child’s health & recovery.

That is really sad. It would be nice if they could really cure HIV but it seems to me like they’re not curing it but rather making it go to into remission. But then again, I’m not a doctor so I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I am not certain there is a practical difference between remission and cure other then the certainty implied in cure is not there with remission.

This is sad, moreso that it was not unexpected.

:thumbsup:

Yes, that is why I said remission instead of cure because there’s not the certainty there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.