Silence is prayer, too

The language of love is silence. Not an eerie silence, nor an awkward silence, nor a still silence, but a recollective or contemplative silence. The soul recollects, and God’s Voice, which is so soft that only a recollected soul can hear it, speaks up. Perhaps He will instruct you in prayer, giving you words; perhaps He will tell you what to meditate on; perhaps He will speak to you in a voice which you can hear with your heart.

Therefore, if you go before Jesus, and have nothing to tell Him, than simply be before Him in silence. Silence becomes prayer if we unite ourselves with Jesus, either in contemplation, or in offering ourselves and our worries and cares to Him, or in reciting the Bible, listening to His Voice tell us the things that have been.

God gives us silence to make us be humble, charitable in tongue, obedient, peaceful and merciful toward all, and joyous at the good of others.

Thx for that. When you say silence you mean not just no noise but to try and stop thinking and listen to see if God has something to say? Is that what you mean?

Can i ask you if you have experience of being silent like this in prayer and hearing something like a soft inspiration and whether you can tell if it’s God, the devil or your imagination? Or at least what advice can you offer on how to distinguish between them? Any thoughts?

I agree silence is very important too. I know I need to get away from all the noise sometimes. I like sitting in a church by myself and pray or listen to my ipod- i have gregorian, the bible, hymns, catholic books etc on there. Sometimes I find that very good, but only if it’s nice and quite in the church. i like to be by myself with our Lord to pray. Mass exclueded from that.

“Go outside and stand on the mountain before the Lord; the Lord will be passing by.” A strong and heavy wind was rending the mountains and crushing the rocks before the Lord - but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake - but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake there was fire - but the Lord was not in the fire. After the fire there was a tiny whispering sound. When he heard this, Elijah hid his face in his cloak…" (1 Kings 20:11-13)

Silence… the first language of God :slight_smile:

It is recommended to go somewhere quiet, so nothing outside you can disturb you, but if you cannot, than you must tend to silence within you, for this is the contemplative silence which I speak of. Silence of the soul means not saying a word, only thinking of Him.

If you say, “I will recollect so I can hear God,” you will not hear Him. But if you meditate on God, than you will hear Him. This is why the Rosary is recommended by Our Lady, by Popes, and by saints: it is contemplation on the mysteries of Jesus Christ.

Can i ask you if you have experience of being silent like this in prayer and hearing something like a soft inspiration and whether you can tell if it’s God, the devil or your imagination? Or at least what advice can you offer on how to distinguish between them? Any thoughts?

I have never heard God’s Voice in my recollection, but He has taught me much. A hour of meditation can gain you more knowledge of Jesus than anything else in the world.

I agree silence is very important too. I know I need to get away from all the noise sometimes. I like sitting in a church by myself and pray or listen to my ipod- i have gregorian, the bible, hymns, catholic books etc on there. Sometimes I find that very good, but only if it’s nice and quite in the church. i like to be by myself with our Lord to pray. Mass exclueded from that.

Jesus enjoys the company. You may go to Him in spirit, as well, when you are away from the Tabernacle. He thinks of you as you think of Him. He looks at you as you look at Him. He consoles you as you console Him.

Amen! :slight_smile: Thank you for the verse.

I’m very glad you posted that. I wanted to but I could never find it after I heard it long ago. Now I know where it is, I won’t forget. It’s very beautiful.:thumbsup:

Thx for the advice and thoughts. Appreciated:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.