Silly cooking question

I have a lot of leftover Easter candy. One of the things that I have a ton of are those little foil-wrapped chocolate eggs. My question is, how do you think chocolate chip cookies would come out if I took the unwrapped eggs, chopped them in my electric food chopper and substituted them for the chocolate chips?

I can’t get too excited about eating plain chocolate eggs. Next year I will need to be certain that the bunny knows how much I like Reese’s peanut butter eggs and peeps.

Milk chocolate does not bake well, the cookies may turn out fine, but the chocolate will not be creamy like a semi-sweet chip, it might be dry-ish (the chocolate, not the cookie).

You might consider using the chocolate eggs for melting and dipping or drizzeling for sugar cookies, pretzels or even fruit (bananas, strawberries)

Or, make those peanut butter thumb print cookies and as soon as they come out of the oven, instead of a kiss, press an unwrapped egg into each one.

Just some thoughts.

Sounds good to me…chocolate is always good! :smiley:

I’m definitely more partial to peanut butter eggs too. :thumbsup:

It also depends on the chocolate - are they Dove eggs? you should be able to use those in cookies just fine.

If they are that chalky stuff like Palmer, then, I’d just pitch them.

I like the idea of the peanut butter thumbprints. I think I’ll try it.

I just went and unwrapped one (which of course meant I needed to eat it! :slight_smile: ) and it doesn’t say the maker on the wrapper. I know they aren’t Dove or else I’d just eat them but they taste better than Palmer. I tasted a bite of my leftover Hershey’s egg just to compare, and they aren’t Hershey’s either. DH bought them for my basket and I guess it wouldn’t take all that much guesswork to hunt down the leftover bags. He only has a few hiding places and he never throws away his trash.

I remember an old chocolate chip cookie recipe that included both the semi-sweet chocolate chips and additional milk chocolate shavings. So, I recommend simply adding the shaved/chopped eggs to your favorite choc chip recipe. While you’re at it, make the cyclops (p-butter) cookies too. Sounds good.

I think you’re playing with fire here. Don’t take the risk of making bad cookies, alienating potential hoards of cookie eaters, and perhaps even throwing the Earth off it’s axis.

I can save you from this fate. Just send the left-over chocolate to me. :slight_smile:

Chop them up and put them in banana bread or use them in pancakes! YUM!!!

~Liza

Food TV has a couple of recipes that call for milk chocolate…

search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/milk+chocolate/search.do?searchString=milk+chocolate&site=food&searchType=Recipe

Sounds like more taste-testing is required, if you get my drift… :wink:

what about making cupcakes, melting the chocolate eggs and spreading as icing, or I wonder how they would do baked whole inside each cupcake. just finished chocolate cake w/choc icing with office staff and am finding it hard to think chocolate right now, have to wait till I come down off my high.

I second the idea of melting them and then using the melted chocolate for something else. I don’t think they would bake well in cookies…I don’t think they would taste bad (no chocolate does :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I think semi-sweet chocolate bakes better in cookies, IMHO. :smiley:

Use them in any chocolate thing you want…I use milk choc in cookies all the time with no adverse affects…and I’m picky about my choc chip cookies.

All these sound great. I think you should get baking and be sure to share the results!!! After all, it is chocolate. Can you really make something that won’t taste good?!

Add hot milk to them to make hot chocolate!

You could wrap cookie dough around them and bake them:

Bon Bon Cookies
3/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 c butter softened
1 T vanilla
1 1/2 c four
1/8 t salt

Oven 350
Mix sugar, butter vanilla. Work in flour and salt till dough holds together. (if dough is dry, add 1 - 2 tablespoons milk. Shape dough around chocolate to for ball (or EGG shape). Place one inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake till set but not brown, 12 - 15 min.

We just stash all our chocolate goodies in the freezer in a huge ziploc bag…
Our family’s “standard” dessert is 2 little pieces of chocolate… so stocking up at Easter time is great… usually lasts us well into late summer! :smiley:

Ugh!!! I hate Palmer Chocolates!!!

if you chop them up small you can use them to sprinkle on ice cream or pudding, or even a tablespoonful in a hot cup of coffee…I might sprinkle the pieces on a cake that was already frosted too, but baking does not seem the way to go (cooking chocolate is less waxy.)

oh! BTW—store them chopped in a plastic baggy in the freezer.

I don’t want to be critical of OP but how do you end up with “leftover” Easter candy? chocolate is not a leftover, it’s a staple, that’s like saying what do you do with leftover flour, milk or eggs.

Well, I made the peanut butter cookies with the chocolate eggs on top. They taste, mmm… sorry, my fingers are full of cookie, great. Plus, those are some of DH’s favorites and his birthday is this weekend.

As far as how I end up with extra Easter candy, once the peeps and reese’s are gone, everything else is extra. :stuck_out_tongue:

I could never,ever stash them in the freezer and slowly dole them out. I admire those people with willpower though!

I have some more leftover so I think hot chocolate might be in the works this weekend, unless they get put on ice cream tomorrow night. So many options,…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.