Silly Little Joys in Life

I went grocery shopping last night. I went alone. Ah! Just think--I did not have to worry about kids wandering off to get lost or falling out of the shopping cart or begging for something I didn't want to buy.

Then perhaps best of all, the store clerk did a superb job bagging the groceries! Seriously, I usually load up a grocery cart and somehow at the check out the groceries expand into two full carts. This young woman bagged in such a way that the groceries fit back into the same cart almost exactly the way they had come out. I had the same types of items to what I always buy at that store, and I loaded and unloaded my cart in a similar way. She must have had a visual-spacial gift that she applied to bagging groceries. It meant that I had fewer bags to handle. I could fit all the groceries into my car easily and it was easier to carry them in and unpack them at home. With a large family, the physical purchasing and moving of food supplies takes considerable physical strength. I complimented her on her bagging abilities.

Even thinking about last nights grocery shopping trip brings a smile to my face. :) Simple little things in life can really make a difference.

Feel free to share any of the silly little things that bring you joy!

and your bread and eggs were not smashed, simple pleasures indeed

for a mom, shopping alone is definitely one of life's high points. So is eating a meal alone without interruption, while the food is still hot.

Interviewed all our confirmation candidates and all, even the doubtful ones, are asking for the sacrament. thank you Holy Spirit

By God's mercy there is no Saturday CCD due to our local parade (they block off all the streets around us) because I have to chaperone a retreat in the next town.

Don't have to worry about hosting a confirmation reception because two groups are using our available space and refuse to vacate even for the Bishop. No loss without some gain.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:230269"]
and your bread and eggs were not smashed, simple pleasures indeed

[/quote]

LOL! Funny you should mention that. :rotfl: The bread arrived home unsmashed, but as I was putting away the groceries, my toddler decided to hug a couple of the loaves of bread.

(Great news about your Confirmation students!)

what a wonderful day for both of you!! ♥

Gardens: I think your story of the bagger should be a reminder to all of us to do our jobs to the best of our ability. Even the "simple" job of bagging groceries can mean so much to a person. We should never devalue ourselves and our work, but always strive to do them well; do them well for God, for others and for ourselves. :thumbsup:

My day is starting out well. did my morning run and baby stayed awake. she's now sleeping, and my littles are in from playing in the snow. I have a fairly clean house and I'm ready to make lunch and get started on dinner. Thank you to my 14 yo who cleaned the kitchen for me after I left the house this morning. Walking into a clean kitchen makes all the difference in the world to a busy mom. :)

My life is fairly devoid of big joys right now, so I love to concentrate on the little ones:

A piece of chocolate, a good book, my 14-month-old saying 'tain-tyew' (thank you), a nice spring day (like yesterday), and all the prayers I receive from my online forum friends. :)

[quote="gardenswithkids, post:1, topic:230269"]
I went grocery shopping last night. I went alone. Ah! Just think--I did not have to worry about kids wandering off to get lost or falling out of the shopping cart or begging for something I didn't want to buy.

Then perhaps best of all, the store clerk did a superb job bagging the groceries! Seriously, I usually load up a grocery cart and somehow at the check out the groceries expand into two full carts. This young woman bagged in such a way that the groceries fit back into the same cart almost exactly the way they had come out. I had the same types of items to what I always buy at that store, and I loaded and unloaded my cart in a similar way. She must have had a visual-spacial gift that she applied to bagging groceries. It meant that I had fewer bags to handle. I could fit all the groceries into my car easily and it was easier to carry them in and unpack them at home. With a large family, the physical purchasing and moving of food supplies takes considerable physical strength. I complimented her on her bagging abilities.

Even thinking about last nights grocery shopping trip brings a smile to my face. :) Simple little things in life can really make a difference.

Feel free to share any of the silly little things that bring you joy!

[/quote]

This makes me smile! I've worked at a grocery store since 2007 and I love it when I can get an order just perfect.

One day, it was really busy and I was moving fast. I checked out a customer, bagged and cashed him out in under one minute. He stopped me for a second and said, "You're really good at your job." It made me feel really great! I wish more people would give out little complements. Just telling someone you appreciate them can make a huge difference!

Also, one of my classes was canceled today so I get to volunteer a little more time at the Catholic Campus Ministry!

Yesterday morning I was able to walk the dog for almost a mile, without pain, despite the fact that the arthritis in my back has been a huge problem for several days now. And the little rascal didn't put me through the usual tug of war that we normally experience on our walks. I came home with a smile, and it carried through the rest of the day. God is good.

It is a blessing to read this thread.:)

I remember one day I was going through a drive thru at a fast food restaurant. The cashier at the first window took my money with no expression, never made eye contact, and said an insincere "thank you." The food handler at the next window, met my eyes, smiled sweetly and gave me a cheerful, "have a great day!" From one window to the next, my mood improved substantially. I carried that for a few hours!

A smile, eye contact, and a cheerful greeting can go far!

So, this was a few weeks ago... but it still lights me up.

I was out working in my yard, when I realized it had gotten too quiet in the house. I come in to check and see what my 5 y/o's are up to, and one has pulled a chair to the sink an is rinsing dishes.

I ask what he's doing. "I'm washing the dishes mommy."

So, I thought, OK... "well, the dishes in the dishwasher are dirty, if you'd like to put them in there."

And then I left.

I walked back in about 15 minutes later to an empty sink and the dishwasher stacked, and STARTED... soap and all!

Garden I"m with you... I love shopping on my own, and fast pleasant, efficiant people are the best!!!!

[quote="faithfully, post:10, topic:230269"]
So, this was a few weeks ago... but it still lights me up.

I was out working in my yard, when I realized it had gotten too quiet in the house. I come in to check and see what my 5 y/o's are up to, and one has pulled a chair to the sink an is rinsing dishes.

I ask what he's doing. "I'm washing the dishes mommy."

So, I thought, OK... "well, the dishes in the dishwasher are dirty, if you'd like to put them in there."

And then I left.

I walked back in about 15 minutes later to an empty sink and the dishwasher stacked, and STARTED... soap and all!

Garden I"m with you... I love shopping on my own, and fast pleasant, efficiant people are the best!!!!

[/quote]

Still tickled by this.

Once a few yrs back, a little boy (then 14 mos old)
in my care, pointed to himself and asked: "Baby. MAN?"

Brilliant child - asking if he was indeed a boy.
Little reference to friends in his life then and
daddy was overseas. Acting parent was only mommy.
Yet he had a grandpa and a group of uncles in his life,
all quite important to him.

What a brilliant way to confirm his gender.
He's over 3 yrs old now and a brilliant little one.

(His mommy and I still call him BabyMan outside his hearing.)

I walk past a particular pine tree almost every day of the week, and it has become so routine I hardly notice it.

Today, for some reason, I really looked at the size of the trunk of this magnificent tree (that's the part that is next to the sidewalk where I pass). I didn't measure it, but I'm guessing it's maybe 6 feet in circumference. I lifted my eyes to the top of the tree - WAY up there in the sky - just amazing that this HUGE HUGE tree has been there for who knows how long...It's so grand and tall...and I walk past it daily without really seeing it. Never again...

God's creations are just so awesome.

Great thread. I love the kid stories. Gives me very fond memories of my own little munchkins who are no longer little!

[quote="PattiDay, post:8, topic:230269"]
It is a blessing to read this thread.:)

[/quote]

I'm really enjoy reading everyone's stories too! They all put a smile on my face.

I find joy in getting to know a person on a deeper level, like peeling an onion. Having your prejudices and preconceptions blown away and seeing Christ and some common ground in the other person. I wish I did it more often. Good thread, btw.

[quote="Rolypoly, post:14, topic:230269"]
I find joy in getting to know a person on a deeper level, like peeling an onion. Having your prejudices and preconceptions blown away and seeing Christ and some common ground in the other person. I wish I did it more often. Good thread, btw./QUOTE

This morning I had a chance to see God on a little deeper level. We had a snow storm predicted for last night, with the possibility of several inches of snow. I worried that I wouldn't be able to get my car out of the garage in time for early morning Mass. This was a Mass for the deceased members of my family, and the birthday of my recently deceased brother. When I awoke I discovered we had only a few inches of snow. No problem getting out of the garage. When I returned from Mass I found my neighbor had cleared the snow from my drive....and the sun was shining! I'm still smiling. God is good.

[/quote]

Wow, OP that sounds like a great day! My husband and I actually consider it a "date" when we're able to go to the grocery store together without the kids in tow. For us, there is something very relaxing about being able to browse without being interrupted.

My little joy in life came about yesterday. My family recently adopted a puppy into our family. Her mother was abandoned when she was pregnant, and someone found her huddled under an old truck getting ready to have her litter. Anyways, we were able to bring our new puppy home last week, and she simply has not grasped the idea of potty training at all. She'd literally be in the middle of playing with the kids inside, and then just squat down and do her business right in the middle of the living room. Yesterday, she made it outside all but one time! I feel like we've made a breakthrough! And it feels great knowing that we've given a home to a dog who wouldn't have had one otherwise.

A handful for me, spanning the last year or two:

Driving to the store, having every light be green along the way then being carded for a lottery ticket (and without the sarcastic, "I have to card everybody"!).

Hiking with my daughters and seeing a doe & her fawn and being able to get within 20 feet of them before they ran off.

Finding a praying mantis in my garden.

Four or five days after our baby was born, having the girl at Starbucks remember which drink I like, then giving me two extra shots of espresso on the house (to be fair, it was probably the fourth time I'd ordered the same drink from her in two days, but it brightened my day even further).

Getting home from after a particularly bad day of work to a screaming baby who, as soon as she sees me, breaks out a huge smile, reaches for me, then pats me on the shoulder while babbling to me about whatever it was she'd been screaming about.

[quote="Gordon_Sims, post:17, topic:230269"]
Getting home from after a particularly bad day of work to a screaming baby who, as soon as she sees me, breaks out a huge smile, reaches for me, then pats me on the shoulder while babbling to me about whatever it was she'd been screaming about.

[/quote]

Yes Yes Yes. These smart little babies/toddlers who learn
to GIVE shoulder pats. Love them, love those pats.

Thanks for reminding me.

[quote="catharina, post:18, topic:230269"]
Yes Yes Yes. These smart little babies/toddlers who learn
to GIVE shoulder pats. Love them, love those pats.

Thanks for reminding me.

[/quote]

Another one that was almost as good happened a couple weeks ago. My son had been complaining for a couple days about how awful and unjust it was that he had to work a whole 28 hours that week. It was cruel, unfair, etc., especially because he had a big project to do that he'd waited until the last minute to start. I'd been having a particularly rough week at work, and on Thursday and Friday had to put in a total of over 34 hours. I worked straight through the night on Friday, but instead of getting to go to bed Saturday morning, I had to stay up to watch the kids while my wife took one of our daughters to the emergency room. My son worked early that day, got home from work and started in on complaining again about how rough his life is. He told me I didn't know what it was like, being as busy as he is (you know, with homework, napping and playing video games) and having to work a whole 28 hours in 7 days. He finally noticed that I was still awake instead of sleeping like I'd planned, and asked why. I told him about my week and how Mom was at the hospital so I needed to stay up to take care of the baby until she got home. I think the main thing that got to him was the 34 hours in 2 days versus his 28 hours in 7. Whatever the case, he didn't say another word but got up, went to the kitchen, brought me a coffee then went up to his room to work on his homework. I figured it was his way of patting me on the shoulder.

[quote="Gordon_Sims, post:19, topic:230269"]
Another one that was almost as good happened a couple weeks ago. My son had been complaining for a couple days about how awful and unjust it was that he had to work a whole 28 hours that week. It was cruel, unfair, etc., especially because he had a big project to do that he'd waited until the last minute to start. I'd been having a particularly rough week at work, and on Thursday and Friday had to put in a total of over 34 hours. I worked straight through the night on Friday, but instead of getting to go to bed Saturday morning, I had to stay up to watch the kids while my wife took one of our daughters to the emergency room. My son worked early that day, got home from work and started in on complaining again about how rough his life is. He told me I didn't know what it was like, being as busy as he is (you know, with homework, napping and playing video games) and having to work a whole 28 hours in 7 days. He finally noticed that I was still awake instead of sleeping like I'd planned, and asked why. I told him about my week and how Mom was at the hospital so I needed to stay up to take care of the baby until she got home. I think the main thing that got to him was the 34 hours in 2 days versus his 28 hours in 7. Whatever the case, he didn't say another word but got up, went to the kitchen, brought me a coffee then went up to his room to work on his homework. I figured it was his way of patting me on the shoulder.

[/quote]

Yes!

Also terribly sweet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.