Silly News of the Day: Police pass out whistles to help residents fight crime

Oak Park is nationally prominent as having joined Chicago to defend its total handgun ban in the MC Donald suit. Recently, Oak Park handed out whistles to help fight crime. Join in Oak park's efforts and sing along! :doh2:

By the way, the Illinois State Police website suggests that women should vomit on their attackers to I suppose that Oak Park suggesting people whistle to stop crime makes just about as much sense. Still, I think I'd rather have a Kazoo. Maybe even start a Kazoo band with other victims. Of course, that presumes the robbers don't steal my Kazoo!

[INDENT]

Oak Park crime: Police pass out whistles to help residents fight back
Jump in burglaries and robberies prompts giveaway
By Victoria Pierce
Special to the Tribune
December 9, 2009
chicagotribune.com/news/local/west/chi-oak-park-whistles-w-zone-9dec09,0,5280002.story

Thousands of Oak Park residents are being equipped with a simple device to help fight crime in the village. Police are passing out whistles that they are urging citizens to blow if they are victims of or witnesses to a crime.

Officers distributed hundreds of the shiny whistles at two stations along the CTA's Green Line in Oak Park on Friday and will be passing out more Wednesday along the Blue Line. Giveaways elsewhere are expected to take place in the weeks ahead.
Cell phones are often taken during robberies, leaving a victim without a means to quickly call the police. But if a victim or witness to the crime blows the whistle it is hoped someone within earshot will call 911 and report the incident immediately, Williams said.
"I would use it," said Charlotte Niznik of Oak Park, who witnessed two thefts on the "L" in recent days. "It's a universal signal."
"I think it's kind of a waste," said Tom Jablonski of Oak Park, who thought the sound of whistles blowing wouldn't have much of an impact because people might think it's just a child's toy.

[/INDENT]

YouTube- I Whistle a Happy Tune from The King and I Movie Cast
I WHISTLE A HAPPY TUNE lyrics

Whenever I feel afraid
I hold my head erect
And whistle a happy tune
So no one will suspect
I'm afraid.

While shivering in my shoes
I strike a careless pose
And whistle a happy tune
And no one ever knows
I'm afraid.

The result of this deception
Is very strange to tell
For when I fool the people
I fear I fool myself as well!

I whistle a happy tune
And ev'ry single time
The happiness in the tune
Convinces me that I'm not afraid.

Make believe you're brave
And the trick will take you far.
You may be as brave
As you make believe you are

You may be as brave
As you make believe you are

(but I wish I had my 45 then I would'nt have to whistle) :whistle:

What are you supposed to do, deafen a criminal?

[quote="wabrams, post:2, topic:179288"]
What are you supposed to do, deafen a criminal?

[/quote]

Actually I think you blow the whistle to summon the ambulance after you've been shot because you are not allowed to defend yourself in the state of Illinois.

I wonder how many crooks will make people eat those whistles :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.