Similariities and Differences: Lutheranism and Catholicism

Does anyone know of any resources that list or discuss the differences we have with Lutherans? I decided to do an essay for English class, a compare and contrast essay, on the similarities and differences between the two, and thought that the helpful posters here might know of some good resources (or might be good resources themselves) on the issue. That and, I’d probably have a hard time finding Lutheran documentation for their own beliefs-- I’m really not especially familiar with their confessions. I’ve been browsing the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church website, and I figure the ELCA website would be helpful too.

I haven’t seen a matrixed comparrison…though one would be kind of handy. This article might be helpful catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0503dr.asp

[quote=StCsDavid]I haven’t seen a matrixed comparrison…though one would be kind of handy. This article might be helpful catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0503dr.asp
[/quote]

Wouldn’t it?

I’m fairly familiar with the differences we have on the priesthood and the Eucharist, but, I’m surprisingly shaky on our differences as far as Justification goes.

As a specific request, does anyone know the citation where Lutherans believe in the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist “in, with and under” the bread (or a statement equivalent to that).

That article, while touching, wasn’t quite helpful to me, except in showing the difference in emphasis that Evangelical Lutherans place on the proclamation of the Word, and Catholics place on the Eucharist. Is it fair to say that once-monthly Eucharistic services are representative of the general Lutheran belief? Or is there wide variaton within Lutheran churches as to how often this should occur?

Not sure on the frequency of Lutheran eucharist services.

I did find this matrix on a Google search. religioustolerance.org/chr_capr.htm

It’s not specific to Lutherans, but it might be useful in your research. At least it gives a list of key topics to address. Be forwarned, that some of the Catholic beliefs listed here are a smidge off. I don’t think it was malevolently intended. I suspect the author is simply uninformed. I’m considering using this as a template to create my own, more accurate matrix.

Good luck

[quote=StCsDavid]Not sure on the frequency of Lutheran eucharist services.

I did find this matrix on a Google search. religioustolerance.org/chr_capr.htm

It’s not specific to Lutherans, but it might be useful in your research. At least it gives a list of key topics to address. Be forwarned, that some of the Catholic beliefs listed here are a smidge off. I don’t think it was malevolently intended. I suspect the author is simply uninformed. I’m considering using this as a template to create my own, more accurate matrix.

Good luck
[/quote]

Perhaps we could colloborate on a matrix if I ever get out from underneath this mountain of relentless class work. :smiley:

And I’ll be careful of what they claim Catholics believe-- likely, I know better than they do.

It also compares conservative Protestants and Catholics, so it’s not quite there. Thanks though, it’s been helpful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.