Similie of Salt of the Earth

“You are the salt of the earth. If salt loses its flavor, with what can it be seasoned?”

The above similie found in the Sermon on The Mount has always made me wonder. If we are the salt, and salt is pleasing, would Jesus then not be the seasoning?

In other words, when we become more like Jesus, the Earth becomes more flavorful to God the Father?

This means to me that Christians should be the quintessential example of Love and Charity in our World. If we have this blessed knowledge of love and we don’t share it among one another. We become like salt that has no longer any worth or flavor to it. Love is lost and we become void of goodness, and useless to others.

Good point. And to have that love, we need the Eucharist. So, with what can we be seasoned? I would say the Eucharist, a.k.a. Jesus.

I think the point of Jesus’ metaphor is that nothing can season salt itself, since salt is the seasoning.

You do make a good point, though.

Usagi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.