Simple Question

A very ease question. Catholics reject Sola Fide (for good reason). But can someone explain Acts 16:31?

“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved”

Any help is appreciated!

[quote=trumpet152]A very ease question. Catholics reject Sola Fide (for good reason). But can someone explain Acts 16:31?

“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved”

Any help is appreciated!
[/quote]

Just briefly, how long must one believe? Is belief a one-time proclamation or an on-going life (however long or short that life is) lived in witness of one’s belief?

You can take any quote from the Bible out of context and prove any point. It must be taken as a whole, which is why God in His infinite wisdom gave us a Church guided by the Holy Spirit to clear things up as they arise. Also this quote doesn’t say that belief in Christ is the only thing one must do. At various points in the Bible (most notably James 2:24), it says that man is justified by works and not by faith alone. Sometimes, too, it’s helpful to examine who the epistle was written to and if there was a specific problem it was meant to address. :slight_smile:

[quote=dafalax]You can take any quote from the Bible out of context and prove any point. It must be taken as a whole, which is why God in His infinite wisdom gave us a Church guided by the Holy Spirit to clear things up as they arise.
[/quote]

Correct!

Also believing in Jesus ***means ***obeying Him and following His apostolic Magisterium and the teachings of Scripture.

[quote=FCEGM]Just briefly, how long must one believe? Is belief a one-time proclamation or an on-going life (however long or short that life is) lived in witness of one’s belief?
[/quote]

It’s a way of living - so it is both of those, and more.

Belief here and in John is used as a synecdoche–“believe” entails believing and everything that goes along with it: repentence, faith, doing the will of God, obeying the Commandments, denying oneself, taking up one’s Cross, love, etc, etc.

Great thing about Sola Scriptura: You can respond to it using sola scriptura :smiley:

John 14:12- “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do”

John 14: 15 - “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”

John 14:21 - " Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me."

ooh satan believes that Jesus is the Son of God too … is he saved? You gotta believe and then … do what He says … i.e. ‘Follow Me!’

Thanks, that is excelent. I figured their would be an excelent response out there! :smiley:

Well, I think they are all excellent. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.