SIN, absolution, forgiveness, purgatory, judgment, heaven?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this :o Here it goes.

When we are born we have original sin, we get baptized and that is erased, right?

Then we go to the Sacrament of penance, confess, get absolved. First Holy Communion.

Then later on, as we sin again, we go to confession & get absolution. If we were to die
right after our last confession, got absolved, that means we should go straight to heaven, right? Then, why do some people say we need to go to purgatory?

Someone else asked me this & I could not answer it :o If we are still going to get judged & punished in purgatory, then what is the point of confessing & getting absolved? “That was how they put the question to me” Please explain in detail, so I can understand & explain it to them. Thanks in advance. God bless.

Hi Megan;

Confession cleanses us from actual sin; however, it does not cleanse us from the effects of sin. For example, if I break my neighbours window, they may forgive me: but I still have to repay the damage done to the window: the distinction is between forgiveness and reparation. Both area accomplished exclusively by Christ Our Lord; the first, (act) he cleanses through the sacrament ; the second (effect) he cleanses either through (a) a sanctified life; or (b) purgatory.

Ok, that is what I thought, but was not sure:o

So, if I get absolved, I either have to live a sanctified life, never commit the same sin, lets say I robbed a bank (never have;)) never rob a bank again. Then I do not have to make a stop in purgatory, but if instead I do not live a sanctified life, then I have to get purged in purgatory, before I can get to heaven, right? Thanks so much :slight_smile:

It is entirely possible to spend your entire life in the blackest sin, receive forgiveness and align your will to God’s, die 2 seconds later, and go to Heaven without purgation. It is also possible to spend your entire earthly life in grace, die, and then only enter Heaven via purgation.

Purgatory is the cleansing of those evils which are not judged mortal in nature. The person in their earthly life reached out their hand and chose water rather than fire, but shadows within their attitude still dwell. These are saved through the flames. All of the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them, but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, in this life or the next, for he has committed an eternal sin.

That’s pretty much it! To be in Heaven means to see God as He is, Face to face. We both (a) can’t and (b) wouldn’t want to be in the presence of God while suffering the effects of sin. If you manage never to rob a bank again (:cool:) and are purged (cleansed) from all sin in this life (for example, like our Blessed Mother) you will go straight to heaven. Otherwise, Christ extends the added mercy of purgatory to us when we die, for those who die in his friendship.

Thank you for your help. Nice explanation. God bless you while you are in RCIA :slight_smile: Best of wishes.

Excellent, now I really get it. I pray I never rob a bank :wink: Now, I can actually explain it to someone else. Thanks for your kind explanation. A lot of times, I really do not question things, I just accept them on faith & move on. God bless you :slight_smile:

really simple, the confession forgives the sins so we don’t go to hell, but with our sin we did damage, so we must pay for it in this life or the next one. you never tought it was ridiculous that after 80 years of murderings, thefts, and many other stuff, if we confess we go directly to heaven? that is why Catholicism makes much more sense over the ones who dont believe in purgatory.

If you died immediately after baptism you would go straight to Heaven.
If you die immediately after receiving absolution you may or may not go to Purgatory first.

Here’s the thing…you don’t necessarily have to pay for the window if you broke it. I do not like that comparison, because perhaps the person does forgive the broken window so completely that he/she would not demand reparations. I know it may seem unlikely, but it is possible. I think that sometimes true forgiveness means not demanding anything from the person who wronged you - or giving someone your cloak when they take your tunic, so to speak, to borrow from this week’s Gospel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.