Sin Against 2nd Commandment

We heard someone use the words “god-awful” referring to a mess the person came upon all of a sudden. Our group wondered if this was a sin against the 2nd Commandment and was it a mortal sin?. Help.

Yes, it’s a sin against the second commandment but I think it’s a venial sin. Unless you were using God’s name as a curse or expressing hatred towards God

CENA - are you one of the apologists? Was wondering because you said, “…I think …”. this would be a venial sin. I can’t say what was in the person’s thought processes either as I kinda came to the same conclusion - but was hoping for a bit more certainty. Thanks.

We cannot give you a definitive answer because we don’t know the mind of any person who uses that expression.

Most people do it thoughtlessly and that would be a venial sin. If you are using it to wish evil on another, on God, or with hatred for God it would be a mortal sin

Thanks - Just a suggestion though it might be better to phrase the response - if “one” is using this phrase to … I didn’t say I was using it. Your last response was very helpful and does give more clarification of the answer. Thanks again. PS: Are you an apologist -I was confused as under your name it just said “new member”. I understood that all questions to an apologist on this site were answered by an apologist - but am still getting used to finding my way around the site.

If you want an apologist to answer a question you should go to Ask An Apologist forum.

Yeah sorry saying “you” is a habit and no most people on this website are not apologists. If the question is not answered by an apologist then anyone can answer it.

Oh, I think I see now - that was my first question and I must have clicked on Apologetics and not Ask and Apologist - ugh - my goof. Thanks for straightening me out. Now I see. Thanks again.

Should I refer my question then to Ask an Apologist? Mmmmmm?

CENA and Thistle - thanks so much for your help as I am getting started on this site. These forums are sure interesting and informative and I already feel that I have gotten some good information. Thanks also for your direction.

BTW, saying something is “god awful” is not a violation of the 2nd commandment nor a sin.

Isn’t it taking the Lord’s name in vain(like saying oh my god) a venial sin?

That is not what it means to “take the Lord’s name in vain.”

Even saying something like “god-dmn it*” isn’t a sin if just said as an ejaculatory statement, done without reflection or intent. One has to do something willingly, intentionally and with knowledge for it to be a sin. Besides, saying “god” doesn’t mean that we are invoking the Supreme Deity anymore than it means we are invoking Zeus or Apollo. Mark Twain remarked on the irony of how people would say “god-dmn it”* without any thought or reflection of it invoking God. It is just something people say, much like “hocus pocus” (look that one up for interesting read).

Thank you all for your comments - they are very helpful.

Am referring my question to an apologist just to double check.

If you asked someone what they meant by the phrases they are using - most would probably answer - “oh, I don’t really know what I meant by that, it is just a saying that I got into the habit of saying and I kind of felt like I needed to say something in a thoughtless reaction”. Maybe we should ask the person using the phrases? Would be interesting eh?

Thanks again. So, check out the Ask an Apologist column ya’all. Should be popping up one of these days.

Doing something thoughtlessly or out of habit like that is a venial sin. It’s saying God’s name irreverently.

They should try to break the habit but it’s still a venial sin unless they do it with malice against God or something

I would say it is a pretty awful/bad habit/action for sure and would kindly ask the person to avoid saying it at all, particularly in front of me and find some other means to describe whatever - sin or not. My heart just sank upon hearing it. Am still waiting to hear what the apologist has to say.

What if someone used your name in such a manner - yikes - “CuriousAlways-awful mess” - I sure would want to know what they meant by that phrase.

Really? Says who? You? Sorry but even the Church does not say that. In fact it says quite the opposite. And again I say that you don’t know what it means to take Gods name in vain.

"2142 The second commandment prescribes respect for the Lord’s name. Like the first commandment, it belongs to the virtue of religion and more particularly it governs our use of speech in sacred matters.

2143 Among all the words of Revelation, there is one which is unique: the revealed name of God. God confides his name to those who believe in him; he reveals himself to them in his personal mystery. The gift of a name belongs to the order of trust and intimacy. “The Lord’s name is holy.” For this reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in silent, loving adoration. He will not introduce it into his own speech except to bless, praise, and glorify it.74

2144 Respect for his name is an expression of the respect owed to the mystery of God himself and to the whole sacred reality it evokes. The sense of the sacred is part of the virtue of religion:

Are these feelings of fear and awe Christian feelings or not? . . . I say this, then, which I think no one can reasonably dispute. They are the class of feelings we should have - yes, have to an intense degree - if we literally had the sight of Almighty God; therefore they are the class of feelings which we shall have, if we realize His presence. In proportion as we believe that He is present, we shall have them; and not to have them, is not to realize, not to believe that He is present.75
2145 The faithful should bear witness to the Lord’s name by confessing the faith without giving way to fear.76 Preaching and catechizing should be permeated with adoration and respect for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2146 The second commandment forbids the abuse of God’s name, i.e., every improper use of the names of God, Jesus Christ, but also of the Virgin Mary and all the saints.
"
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a2.htm

Father John Corapi once said during a lecture that he hang out with a bunch of bikers where they use horrible language (like the f word in every other word) and he wouldn’t be offended. But, if they would start using the lord’s name as a curse word, he would tell them that they are crossing the line.

I think what Father Corapi is saying is that we shouldn’t take using Gods name as a curse word lightly, because His name is so holy and precious. The second commandment and the Catechism of the Catholic Church make it perfectly clear:

2143 Among all the words of Revelation, there is one which is
 unique: the revealed name of God. God confides his name to
 those who believe in him; he reveals himself to them in his
 personal mystery. The gift of a name belongs to the order of
 trust and intimacy. "The Lord's name is holy." For this
 reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in
 silent, loving adoration. He will not introduce it into his
 own speech except to bless, praise, and glorify it.

So, to answer the OP, I would say saying “God Awful” would be at least venially sinful depending on the intention, but again, I’m no apologist. Still, we should strive to honor and glorify Gods name and say admirable, honorable and positive things about instead of abusing it.

The same thing goes for the name of Jesus. If you have the time, please read this wonderful article about the power of the name of Jesus.

[newadvent.org/cathen/07421a.htm](http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07421a.htm)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.