sin against holy spirit

What’s an example of a sin against the holy spirit?

Presumption–thinking that the Holy Spirit will save you regardless of what you might do in the future.

Once Saved Always Saved Believers are guilty of this sin which can lead to hell.

Domin:

I think you might be referring to the sin of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

“He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.”(Matthew 12:30-32)This sin was committed by the enemies of Christ who said that the power to do the miracles He did was given to Him not by the Holy Spirit but by the devil. I do not think anyone can commit this sin today, as Jesus is not with us in person (though He is with us in Spirit).

If you are worried about having committed this sin that God does not forgive, then the mere fact that you are worried shows you have nothing to worry about! Those who blasphemed the Holy Spirit in this way felt no worry nor any remorse at all for saying His work was evil. The only thing they felt was hatred for Jesus.

Rejection or despair of God’s mercy. From the Catechism:

1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

Peace,
Dante

I am listening to a rerun of Fr. John Corapi and commented on this very thing. He said that blasphemy against teh holy spirit, which is the only trully unforgivable sin, is what he calls, Final Impenitence. So ask me what teh technical defintion of Final Impentoience and I have toi say I don’t have one, but I think I have a good idea.

Tim

It’s not repenting until the day you die–that’s final impenitence.

Er, not quite. Impenitence is the opposite of penitence – that is, the state of not being penitent. Repenting right before dying assures one of salvation if one receives the sacraments and/or if one is perfectly contrite.

Final impenitence is refusing to repent at the end of one’s life – a state which, according to the CCC quotes I gave above, can be the result of the hardening of one’s heart by living a life rejecting God’s mercy.

Peace,
Dante

My son and I were talking about this issue of final impenitence. Based on what he is learning in a Catholic school (Jesuit, so should be good stuff if he heard right) is that even just AFTER death, the impenitant is given one last chance to become penitent. I don’t know if the argument is that at that just after death point you are made knowledgable of the truth or if you are still in some kind of “Fog” or what, but that is what he said he was taught. Any ideas on this? My question woudl be if you are indeed filled with the knowledge of the truth AFTER you have died, who would reject God at that point?

Tim

Lucifer was filled with the knowledge and truth of God and still rejected Him. Pride is an awful thing.

My understanding (and I don’t recall where I read this) is that Lucifer and the other angels were not fully in God’s presence – i.e., the Beatific Vision – because they, like us, must make the choice for God out of free will, and that being fully in God’s presence would overshadow our free will, as Tim_Cleveland pointed out.

Food for thought.

Peace,
Dante

It’s appropriate that in today’s reading:

“I saw Satan like lightning falling from heaven” (Luke 10:18)

Do you mean BEFORE the fall of Lucifer, there was some choice the angels were given? My understanding is that the nature of angels is such tht they are in the prescence of God–and some chose otherwise.

catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=1612
newadvent.org/cathen/04764a.htm

And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels: and they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven. And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. (Apocalypse 12:7-9)To this may be added the words of St. Jude: “And the angels who kept not their principality, but forsook their own habitation, he hath reserved under darkness in everlasting chains, unto the judgment of the great day” (Jude 1:6; cf. 2 Peter 2:4).

In the Old Testament we have a brief reference to the Fall in Job 4:18: “In his angels he found wickedness”. But to this must be added the two classic texts in the prophets: How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, who didst rise in the morning? how art thou fallen to the earth, that didst wound the nations? And thou saidst in thy heart: I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God, I will sit in the mountain of the covenant, in the sides of the north. I will ascend above the height of the clouds, I will be like the most High. But yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, into the depth of the pit. (Isaiah 14:12-15)

st_felicity:

Just referring to what I’d read once. If I’m not mistaken, they were “in” heaven (as much as one can be “in” something that’s not a place) but had not yet received the fullness of the Beatific Vision prior to their choice.

Peace,
Dante

I’ve heard this as well. The devil didn’t know the complete power of God when he rebeled. The Lord gave that power to St. Micheal, because he stood up first in aliance with God. This was on a childrens story on EWTN about 5 months ago. Tim

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.