Sin of Presumption mortal sin?

I would first like to ask: is Presumption a mortal sin? (I’m pretty sure it is.) My second question is if a person commits the sin of Presumption, but then finds out that what they thought is wrong isn’t wrong, does that mean the person has still committed the sin of Presumption. If so, does it then become a venial sin or is it still a mortal sin?

Presumption (that is to say the expectation of automatic forgiveness from sins regardless of whether one is repentant or not) is, indeed, a mortal sin, since it usurps the will of God. We have hope that forgiveness will be given to us if we die in a state of sin, but we cannot assume that it will be. This is, effectively, a check upon our sinning freely and with abandon if we continue to still believe in a God. Essentially it means that we must take responsibility for our actions. It is only good practise to hope for the best but be cautious about the things that we do.

Presumption would seem to be a sin regardless of the matter of fact which you are making ‘presumptions’ about since it is the intent with which you do something that matters in this case. If I do something while understanding it to be sinful - whether or not that understanding is erroneous - and expect forgiveness regardless, then I am presuming upon God. It essentially raises me to be His equal, which is a status I am most definitely not entitled to.

This link might be useful: ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum4&recnu=1&number=442714

What if a person has thoughts of Presumption, but then actually doesn’t commit the sin on purpose at all (whether or not the sin was really a sin); did the person still commit the sin of Presumption?

My instinct is that the thought would simply have been in the realms of the hypothetical, since the actions to which it relates didn’t take place, however presumption would exist if that was your general belief about sin, rather than to do with a specific isolated sinful event.

You should probably check it with a priest if you want a more definitive answer.

=cjcapta;6900676]I would first like to ask: is Presumption a mortal sin? (I’m pretty sure it is.) My second question is if a person commits the sin of Presumption, but then finds out that what they thought is wrong isn’t wrong, does that mean the person has still committed the sin of Presumption. If so, does it then become a venial sin or is it still a mortal sin?

I don’t think one can categorically claim that every instance of Presumption is a Mortal sin.

There are several variable to consider.

1. The seriousness of the topic ]subject] being presumed.

2. Pre existing awareness of the seriousness of the topic.

3. A desire to Presume out of ignorance, rather than sloth.

For example:

Holding to automatic forgiveness of sin may for one person be a Mortal sin [intentional cupability], and a lesser sin for what is not given by God as the opportunity to know the truth. In this and every case God will JUDGE ABILITY TO KNOW, the same as actually knowing and freely choosing to ignore the truth.

As to the second part of your quarry. A sin is either Mortal or it is not. If the conitions for a Mortal sin Serious matter, knowledge that its a serious matter, and freewil desire to do it anyway are present; then it is a Mortal sin.] Even if something changes later; it remains a Mortal sin.

Love and prayers,
Pat

Presumption could possibly be not a sin at all…depending upon the circumstances.

If a person presumes that he/she will be forgiven for a sin that they are about to confess in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, then that is a natural and correct presumption since Our Lord teaches us that if we confess our sins, are sorry for them, and resolve not to do them again – we will be forgiven.

If, however, a person presumes that God will forgive him/her for a sin that they are about to commit…THAT could possibly be a sin of presumption. The gravity of the presumption would probably be dependent upon the seriousness of the sin that is planned.

The sin of presumption is one of the sins against the Holy Ghost and thus it is indeed a serious sin. But I would say that it does matter whether you presume forgiveness for venial sins or mortal sins. To presume while committing venial sins is indeed a heinous offense to God, as are all sins, but I would not go so far as to call it matter for mortal sin. I would say that probably every deliberate (ie. thought-through) venial sin is in some sense made with presumption on God’s grace. When you presume on God’s grace for the remission of mortal sin, then you are in really messy waters however. To commit a mortal sin is to crucify Our Blessed Lord once more and to just assume that God will forgive you is really awful, it is treating God as if He was a toy that you can toss and turn at your own will. In some sense presumption is a form of idolatry, making yourself into God and declaring yourself forgiven in advance. That is probably why it is often listed under the First Commandment, as a sin against Hope.

I want to point out that I have myself committed the sin of presumption and when you realise what a mess you are in then you know that there is only one way out: God’s grace and mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.