Sin or scruple?

I have lately been worried about using devotional products or handouts from parishes with the entire Sign of the Cross printed in it because I am worried the Sign of the Cross is copyrighted by ICEL.

Is it a sin to use prayer books or handouts with the text of the Sign of the Cross that do not acknowledge the copyright of this prayer or am I just being scrupulous?

I know it is wrong to own stolen goods and hence I feel like using this stuff is almost like owning stolen goods unless if I scratch the prayer out or put in a proper citation.

Do you realize that the sign of the Cross is an ancient prayer, far pre-dating any copyright laws?

As far as I know such prayers are not copyrighted. They are too ancient and widespread to be able to know who would rightly own a copyright.

Using the materials is NOT a sin.

Peace
James

What makes you thinnk the Sign of the Cross prayer is under copyright?

[quote="1ke, post:4, topic:333393"]
What makes you thinnk the Sign of the Cross prayer is under copyright?

[/quote]

Because it is part of the Mass which is under copyright. I know the sign of the cross is ancient but I am under the impression that the Sign of the Cross in English is copyrighted unless if you use "Ghost" instead of "Spirit".

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.