Sin passed through the father?

I’ve heard from many Protestants that the sin nature is always passed by the male, not the female. So is Joe and Sue have a baby, the baby’s sin nature comes from Joe, not Sue. What is the Catholic position on this?

I have never heard this from any protestant, please cite a source for this remarkable claim. In over 12 years of studying and teaching Catholic doctrine I have never come across anything like it. Are they saying sin is linked to the Y chromosome or what?

Do they also claim this is why Jesus was sinless?

[quote=John Paul III]Do they also claim this is why Jesus was sinless?
[/quote]

Yes. I think this is part of the reasoning.

[quote=puzzleannie] I have never heard this from any protestant, please cite a source for this remarkable claim. In over 12 years of studying and teaching Catholic doctrine I have never come across anything like it. Are they saying sin is linked to the Y chromosome or what?
[/quote]

That’s odd. I’ve heard this all my life. I was reminded of it in my Doctrines class yesterday (I am at a Baptist College) and when I objected to it, the class laughed. It was assumed that this was true.
It’s based off Romans 5:12. The sin was through Adam, not Eve.

[quote=trumpet152]I’ve heard from many Protestants that the sin nature is always passed by the male, not the female. So is Joe and Sue have a baby, the baby’s sin nature comes from Joe, not Sue. What is the Catholic position on this?
[/quote]

This is not the Catholic doctrine. But I have seen it in Thomas Aquinas and that might be the source for it. They come to this false conclusion because of the verse that says that through man sin came into the world.

[quote=John Paul III]Do they also claim this is why Jesus was sinless?
[/quote]

Yes

Puzzleannie, they do use this. I was in a discussion on this forum a long time ago with a protestant who brought this up and said that Christ had no OS because He had no father. The discussion was on the immaculate conception I think. I did some searching for the idea and found that Aquinas had said it. Aquinas simply made a false conclusion with this one.

According to the King James it sounds as if it passes from the Mother.

The KJV renders Psalm 51:5 this way:
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

The NAB translates it as:
5 For I know my offense; my sin is always before me.

The Douay Rheims translates it as (numbered as Ps 50)
5 For I know my iniquity, and my sin is always before me.

That’s quite an interesting difference.

[quote=Dan-Man916]According to the King James it sounds as if it passes from the Mother.

The KJV renders Psalm 51:5 this way:
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

The NAB translates it as:
5 For I know my offense; my sin is always before me.

The Douay Rheims translates it as (numbered as Ps 50)
5 For I know my iniquity, and my sin is always before me.

That’s quite an interesting difference.
[/quote]

Read the whole psalm 50 in the DRV and the whole psalm 51 in the KJV. They are different parts of the psalm; both are contained in both bibles. This psalm is slightly different though between them. The DRV starts with the “unto the end, a psalm of David.” It then mentions Nathan and Bethseba. Then is the first verse of the KJV.

So why does Paul say that sin passed through Adam?

The sin passed from Adam because he is the progenitor of ALL people. Think about it: if only Eve had eaten the fruit, another woman could be made from Adam, but when Adam Fell the entire well was poisoned. So while Eve sinned first, the fact that they had both sinned, and that Adam was the “wellspring” of humanity, sealed the deal.

Just my thought on the matter.

Peace and God bless!

[quote=Ghosty]The sin passed from Adam because he is the progenitor of ALL people. Think about it: if only Eve had eaten the fruit, another woman could be made from Adam, but when Adam Fell the entire well was poisoned. So while Eve sinned first, the fact that they had both sinned, and that Adam was the “wellspring” of humanity, sealed the deal.

Just my thought on the matter.

Peace and God bless!
[/quote]

I would agree with this. I would emphasize more that all humanity came through Adam. So he brought sin into the world and it passed through him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.