Sin

How do you define what a sin is?

Is that definition given to you by your church, or your conscience?

What do you do when your conscience is telling you something is not a sin when your church tells you it is?

Do you believe all sin is equal before God?

Sin is any act I perform knowing that it is contrary to the will or commands of God.

The natural law (as contained in the ten commandments), is written on the hearts of all men. My conscience is further informed by the teachings of the Church, which are rooted in divine revelation (scripture + sacred tradition).

What do you do when your conscience is telling you something is not a sin when your church tells you it is?

That has never happened. But if it ever did, I hope I would trust that my conscience is not sufficiently informed or developed, and I would trust the teaching of the Church which I have found to be a sure guide. It would serve as a red flag that I need to learn something.

No. The bible tells us that there are degrees of sin:

If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that.

• 1 John 5:16

Hope this helps.

Paul

Breaking the 10 commandments and having the seven deadly sins in your life are “sin”.

Failure to love one another as Christ loved us. Failure not to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Breaking theses two commandments given by Jesus would be sin.

Church rules are full of legalism, so, unless breaking them is breaking the above mentioned sins, I do not place much worry about them. Stick with Scripture is best, IMHO

Scripture says that to break one commandment is to break them all. Sin is sin. There is only one unforgivable sin and that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

being 61 years old, and growing up with “no meat on Friday” and to eat meat on Friday was about the worst mortal sin(sin that sends you to hell if not confessed to a priest) is the finest example of misapplied legalsim I can think of.

I doubt very seriously that the 13 year old girl who sneaked eating a ham sandwich on Friday back in 1952 and then got killed by a car is spending an eternity in hell.

me guesses that all this is not tradional catholic thought but that is the law as understood as written on my heart.

That’s interesting, Where does it say that?

Breaking any of the 10 commandments may be wrong, but that doesn’t mean it’s a sin. Most Christians that I am aware of don’t keep the “sabbath” (i.e. Saturday) “holy” for instance.

You’re right, that is not Catholic teaching at all. Who told you that eating meat on Friday is a mortal sin? Or is that just something you imagined in childhood? It is not a sin at all, in fact. The Church teaches us to perform some act of penance or charity on Fridays to unite ourselves with the sufferings of Our Lord, but the exact act is not specified. Abstaining from meat is one recommended choice (in the West at least - it would make no sense in parts of Asia), but is not the only one available. Prayer and almsgiving are also wonderful Friday acts of faith, as substitutes for fasting or abstinence.

I recommend you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It will straighten out your misconceptions about Catholic beliefs.

Though we do (or should) keep The Lord’s Day (Sunday) holy as a sabbath. There wasn’t just one sabbath day, you know, there were many sabbaths. “Sabbath” just means a day that is set apart for worship and rest. For Christians, that is Sunday because Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday and that is the day on which the early church worshipped together.

James 2:10. However, the following verse makes it clear that it’s talking about different kinds of sin–you can’t pick which parts of the law to follow and claim credit for getting 8 out of 10 or something like that. I do not think that this passage is talking about the idea of “degrees of sin,” though many Protestants misinterpret it to support their view that all sin is equal.

Edwin

With free will comes conscience? And I do not need to have the Church to tell me what is a sin and what is not,My conscience tells me if it is a sin or not.,and all sin is not equal to God one is greater then another

Our Lord said to Pilate (John 19:11): ‘He that hath delivered me to thee, hath the greater sin,’ and yet it is evident that Pilate was guilty of some sin. Therefore one sin is greater than another.

‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

God is love. Perfect holiness consist in perfect unselfish love. Anything we do that is contrary to that is sin because it is the negation of what God is and who He created us to be.

Yours in Christ
Joe

how do you form your conscience without some teaching and assistance from Christ himself, who established the Church to teach understanding of his commandments?

That’s because the Sabbath is Sunday, not Saturday. Many Protestants still say Saturday. Are you Protestant?

The Sabbath IS Saturday.

Sunday- fulfillment of the sabbath

2175 Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ’s Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man’s eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ:107

No, it is Sunday. Like i said, you are not Catholic and this is what you believe. pity.

Um…thats not what your catechism just said

2189 “Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Deut 5:12). “The seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord” (Ex 31:15).

2190 The sabbath, which represented the completion of the first creation, has been replaced by Sunday which recalls the new creation inaugurated by the Resurrection of Christ.

2191 The Church celebrates the day of Christ’s Resurrection on the “eighth day,” Sunday, which is rightly called the Lord’s Day (cf. SC 106).

2192 “Sunday . . . is to be observed as the foremost holy day of obligation in the universal Church” (CIC, can. 1246 # 1). “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass” (CIC, can. 1247).

2193 “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound . . . to abstain from those labors and business concerns which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord’s Day, or the proper relaxation of mind and body” (CIC, can. 1247).

2194 The institution of Sunday helps all “to be allowed sufficient rest and leisure to cultivate their amilial, cultural, social, and religious lives” (GS 67 # 3).

2195 Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day.

Sunday has been mistakenly called the “Christian sabbath” by well meaning Christians. The sabbath is the 7th day…the Lord’s Day is “first day”. The Saturday Sabbath ended the old creation with rest…the First Day of the New Creation is celebrated on Sunday, the first day of the week in celebration of Jesus the First Fruits of the grave.

Absolutely. A view that the Catholic catechism supports as well

=Guyonthestreet;5726186]How do you define what a sin is?

Sin is “saying NO to God.”

All men are sinners *

*I John 1: 8-10 "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins *and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

The Bible also speaks specifically about the two natures if sin. Less serious with the Church terms “Veniel / lesser” sin, amd more serious termed “Mortal” because they are so serious as to sever ones relationship with Christ.

*1 John 5: 16-18 “16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.” *

The Catholic Church inspired by the Holy Spirit Teaches that in order for an action to be a “Mortal Sin” three conditions must exist.

1. It must be a serious Matter

2. One must know before they decide to do the act that it is a seriously WRONG matter

3. Dispite this foreknowledge, one musr DESIRE to commit the sin anyway. Desire as seen as “completation of the act” so long as it is driven by one’s freewill alone.

The Bible also tells us the remendy for sin:

*John 20;21-23 "Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”(Picture) 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” *

That is pretty clear, but just so you don’t think its an error, look at these.

*Mt. 16:18-19 18 “And I [JESUS] tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock [As you Peter as the foundation] I will build [SINGULAR] my [SINGULAR] church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. 19 I [JESUS] will give you [Peter / My new Church] the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” *

And this, *Mt. 18:18 “Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven”. *

And yes it is too in the King James Bible.

Because God desires that everyone be saved He has instituted Seven Sacraments, five of which have the potential to effect ones salvation. But they are only valid in the Catholic Church.

Love and prayers,

Pat*

Is Baptism one of these 5 you refer to?

If so, are you saying baptism outside the catholic church is not valid?

I thought the catholic church said baptism following the correct formula (trinitarian) was valid in any christian church - but makes excpetion for mormons and maybe some others (can’t remember exactly right now) due to some heretical ideas on the natureof God?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.