Sin

What is the only sin that cannot be forgiven?

The only sin that cannot be forgiven Jesus tells us is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which is refusal to repent and ask for forgiveness. It’s a hardness and obstinancy of heart that tells God that you don’t want to be forgiven for your sins. God will forgive any sin IF you repent. If you refuse to repent, you committ the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost that Christ was speaking of.

final impenitence

which is the refusal, through the last moment of life, to repent from actual mortal sin.

So you’re saying that a serial killer who repented on his deathbed would be saved, but a man who made love to his fiancee and did not see any need to repent would be damned?

Justice, anyone?

God does not compare us to each other in regards to our sins, although we can be held accountable for the sins of others by different means, but when someone is truly sorry and truly regrets what they did, God will forgive them,
i learned at a very young age not to think to myself “Well most people in the world commit worse sins then i do so i must not be so bad off”…doesn’t work that way, God treats us each fairly and individually, and He is most merciful and loving beyond our understanding,
so although it might seem unfair that one man might be saved who was a murderer, and another damned who was a fornicator, God, in His infinite wisdom, knows what is fair, He judges us based on our own life, not the life of another,
He also judges not based on the action, but the intention and state of mind we were in when committing a sin,
just as our good works are not judged by the effort and time put into them, but instead the charity by which we did them.
another thing to take into consideration is, one person has sanctifying grace in their soul, and the other doesn’t, that makes a big difference when we die, no matter what sin it was that took away our sanctifying grace,
and if we deserve hell for the least of our sins, then what does it matter which sin has damned us? we deserve it.
but thankfully, because of the great loving act of Jesus, we can be saved, even if we have offended God greatly, and all it takes is the sacrament of penance, if someone dies in mortal sin while he could have easily confessed and been saved before he died(so long as he was truly sorry) then it’s his fault, no one else’s,
but lets not forget that some are also saved by their ignorance, so don’t think just because someone committed a mortal sin that they are in hell, it depends on if they knew full well what they were doing.

well i think i said enough, sorry sometimes i just get inspired and go off like that,
i know this is a difficult thing to understand, i haven’t always understood it myself, but after awhile of praying and contemplating on these things, God seems to help us in ways no one else could, there’s just a sense of understanding we get from God that cannot be put into words.

so…hope this helps :3 tc.

We are saying that a serial killer who repented MAY be saved. (But would, in fact, be required to be ‘purged’ before heaven.) Are you saying that those who repent before death CANNOT be saved? Scripture would contradict you, I believe there are verses in Ezekiel which refer to this very ‘situation.’

Furthermore, fornication is a mortal sin just as much as murder is. Are you saying that it isn’t sinful? Are you saying that “didn’t see the need” is necessarily damning the man? If he truly did not KNOW he was sinning mortally, then he would not be damned.(Remember, mortal sin requires three things --full knowledge, grave matter, and full consent. Lack of any of the three would lessen the culpability such that though the sin remains mortal, the ‘intention’ of the person to commit mortal sin might not be.) And if he DID know, the fact that he ‘rationalized it away’ with full knowledge would be his free rejection of God’s mercy.

So yes, it is justice.

"But if a wicked man turns away from all his sins which he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 22 None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; for the righteousness which he has done he shall live. 23* Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? 24 But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity and does the same abominable things that the wicked man does, shall he live? None of the righteous deeds which he has done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which he is guilty and the sin he has committed, he shall die. 25 "Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Hear now, O house of Israel: Is my way not just? Is it not your ways that are not just? 26 When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, he shall die for it; for the iniquity which he has committed he shall die. 27 Again, when a wicked man turns away from the wickedness he has committed and does what is lawful and right, he shall save his life. 28 Because he considered and turned away from all the transgressions which he had committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. 29 Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ O house of Israel, are my ways not just? Is it not your ways that are not just?

Ezekiel 18:21-29

Is it God’s ways that are unjust, or yours?

Say you’re arrested for stealing a couple of hundred dollars from a dairy and you’re taken to jail.

In the cell next to you is another theif, who stole a 200,000 dollar car.

A rich person, say Oprah, comes in, feeling like doing a public good deed so everyone can stroke her ego or what not.

She offers to pay your bail and the bail of the other theif. The other accepts, says he’s very sorry and gets out of jail. You, however, you dont’ like Oprah for whatever reason and you refuse.

Jesus’ salvation for us must be accepted.

What we precieve as justice is moot, we’re not God, there’s no way we can fathom His fullness of intellect and understanding.

If you want freedom, if you want salvation, you must accept it, so stop worry about the sins of others and concern yourself with whether or not you accept Jesus paying your bail.

Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. Jesus said: "MATTHEW 12: 31-32 “Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come”.

Perfect justice in fact

God respects our free choice, if we refuse to repent that is our choice

In your case you described the serial killer repented, the man who fornicated ***did not… ***

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.