sin

I have read that when we sin we sin only against god and he only. I read in the catechism that some things are a sin to yourself. I’m confused on this. I think it involved your dignity.

Go back to the Catechism and read the definition of sin that the effects of sin. It seems you are getting conflicting messages…so you need to start at the Authoritative source for information…the “Church which is the pillar and bulwark of Truth”.

Sin is first and foremost against God, but it is also against the whole of the Church and yourself. This is the way it is with all sins.

(I heard a priest say this at Mass. I forget exactly how he explained it.)

1 Now Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest
2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any men or women who belonged to the Way, 2 he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains.
3 On his journey, as he was nearing Damascus, a light from the sky suddenly flashed around him.
4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?"
5 He said, “Who are you, sir?” The reply came, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.
Acts 9:1-4 (emphasis mine)

Whenever we sin against ourselves or our neighbors we are offending God. So ultimately whether we sin against ourselves, neighbor, or God, we are sinning against God. That is why when we receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation we are absolved from the guilt of our sins and reconciled both to the Church (us and neighbor) and to God.

Oh my favorite saint! I read in the bible somewhere that we sinned against you and you only. Of course that’s just picking scriptures out too.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.