Sin?

I started to think about a weird issue. Is it a sin to confess something you have not done? I do understand that the lie, in this case, institute the sin, but the rest of it?

Reason why I ask this goes back to my marriage, and my childhood as well. If I was blamed for something, I soon did find out that it is much easier to say “yes, I did it” then trying to make people (my x-wife or my parents) believe I am innocent. And yes, I know that this is a stupid thing to ask, so no need for comments on my mental health or sanity.

I think it's not sin if you aren't talking about confession in religious meaning. It's also not OK to say believing in God is something bad. Lie is sin if it hurts God or other people.
Luke 10
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
If you don't hurt God and other people it's not sin. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope I helped.

[quote="loramaca, post:2, topic:329082"]
I think it's not sin if you aren't talking about confession in religious meaning. It's also not OK to say believing in God is something bad. Lie is sin if it hurts God or other people.
Luke 10
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
If you don't hurt God and other people it's not sin. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope I helped.

[/quote]

The point of sin is that it hurts God, or more specifically Christ.

However, how do we know something hurts, offends, God? We know from the Catholic Church. We do *not *know from our own judgement as to what hurts God or others--this way of looking at sin is the way people end up justifying all sorts of terrible acts. So we have to be careful how we word ideas to keep from confusing others.

To the OP: I would confess what you did as a child/husband but not worry about it. You might look into alternative strategies however, in case you end up working for or otherwise connected to someone like that again!

Straight from the Catholic Catechism:
II. THE DEFINITION OF SIN

1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."121

1850 Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight."122 Sin sets itself against God’s love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods,"123 knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God."124 In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.125

1851 It is precisely in the Passion, when the mercy of Christ is about to vanquish it, that sin most clearly manifests its violence and its many forms: unbelief, murderous hatred, shunning and mockery by the leaders and the people, Pilate’s cowardice and the cruelty of the soldiers, Judas’ betrayal - so bitter to Jesus, Peter’s denial and the disciples’ flight. However, at the very hour of darkness, the hour of the prince of this world,126 the sacrifice of Christ secretly becomes the source from which the forgiveness of our sins will pour forth inexhaustibly.

Thank you guys. Good to be among friends.

Truth is that if my marriage would have been a blessed one, and I think I did save my self by willingly told my wife what she wanted to hear, not what was true. I would not had divorce, or, actually, my wife wanted that divorce, but what she don't know is what a favor she did me, my marriage was hell, I have never thought about re-marry, and it is impossible because I am a Catholic and the thought about not have the right to the most Holy of all Holy Sacraments, Communion taken from me is stronger then a urge to get wife number two. And I have many friends, I do what I love to do, well, not full-time anymore, but enough to keep my happy and going, and I also lecture often. So a marriage may be fine and dandy for others, but I am happy like this. (And I am 53.) To help people is my vocation, and I can do it, so I ain't complaining. And I am blessed with my first grandchild, a beautiful girl.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.