Sin?

Is it a sin if my Mother asks me to cook dinner for her less than an hour before Mass which she then eats instead of fasting?

Is this the same as ‘causing someone else to sin’?

Note - one is to fast one hour prior to Holy Communion (not prior to Mass). Like this morning I was going to the 10:30 Mass and so I finished my breakfast and coffee before 10 am for I knew communion would not be until at least 11 am.

[quote="yaycatholic, post:1, topic:346131"]
Is it a sin if my Mother asks me to cook dinner for her less than an hour before Mass which she then eats instead of fasting?

Is this the same as 'causing someone else to sin'?

[/quote]

I don't know but don't think so. However, next time, could you suggest that the meal be prepared either enough in advance or after mass? Show her the following, the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Bible, to help her to understand the importance of adhering to this.

It used to be that people fasted ALL NIGHT before receiving! One hour isn't much to ask.

Canon 919
1. One who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain from any food or drink, with the exception only of water and medicine, for at least the period of one hour before Holy Communion.

1 Cor. 11:27-29
Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. A person should examine himself, and so eat the bread and drink the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself.

No, it is not a sin for you, it is your obligation to do what your mother asks. The sin is commited on her side and she will have to account for it to the Church or to God, not you.

But if she was asking you to commit a sin, then the situation is different.

Honour your father and your mother,
In the love of Christ,
Gloria

Thanks for the replies!

I don’t think my Mum knows about the fast?
I’ve mentioned to her before that ‘you’re not supposed to eat an hour before Mass/receiving Holy Communion’ and she just ignored me. :frowning:

[quote="yaycatholic, post:5, topic:346131"]
Thanks for the replies!

I don't think my Mum knows about the fast?
I've mentioned to her before that 'you're not supposed to eat an hour before Mass/receiving Holy Communion' and she just ignored me. :(

[/quote]

Show your mum what Canon Law states:

Can. 919 §1 Whoever is to receive the blessed Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from all food and drink, with the sole exception of water and medicine.

If she did not fast because she did not know it is required and received Communion then no sin committed but once she knows it is required (you have already told her although she might not believe you so you should show her the canon law on this) if she does not fast but then receives Communion she commits a mortal sin.

[quote="yaycatholic, post:5, topic:346131"]
Thanks for the replies!

I don't think my Mum knows about the fast?
I've mentioned to her before that 'you're not supposed to eat an hour before Mass/receiving Holy Communion' and she just ignored me. :(

[/quote]

So you have done all that God asks of you, rest easy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.