Since I confessed my sins as a Lutheran, will I have to repeat them as a Catholic?

Hi,

I just started RCIA (first class was yesterday!) and have a question about confession and forgiveness of sins.

My background is Missouri-Synod Lutheranism and at our church we received communion every Sunday. During the service before communion the pastor would give us an opportunity to confess our sins to God and then the pastor would say we were forgiven. After this we would have communion.

My question is, was this confession valid? I felt that since I was seriously sorry for my sins and did confess them to God I was forgiven, but was I not? When I become Catholic will I need to “start over,” or were the sins that I confessed while a Lutheran already forgiven? Thank you for your help.

Hi,

Such confession of sins could have been valid if your contrition was perfect, i.e. you repented because of your love for God and haad no concern for yourself. The problem is that we can’t really know how pure such motivation has been. So it would be a good idea to confess all the sins you remember when you receive the sacrament of Penance. It’s ok to make a list. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.