Since we Catholics believe Baptism is neccessary for salvation, why are we not allowed to baptise everyone else?

Please read this OP before comment… I am anticipating a lot of replies that doesn’t actually answer what I need…

I can sort of guess the answer, but I would like a more detailed explanation.

Since baptism is illicit if the person baptised has not got the faith and will to recieve the sacrament, we would break the church law by doing so (which is sort of a sin actually)

But it’s not just about us. The person baptised would be a member of the Church, which means his/her salvation is dependent on the church, right? Therefore if the reciever of the sacrament does not believe, the baptism could be actually worse off for him/her?

Just any thoughts…?

Ordinary minister of Baptism: Bishop, Priest, Deacon (in that order of preference)
Extraordinary minister of Baptism: Religious, Catholic, baptised, man, woman

Ordinary tool: (distilled?) blessed water (aka holy water)
Extraordinary tool: any water that resembles mostly clean water (e.g. tap water):confused:

In case of exterme emergancy we can if they ask for it. if not in a life or death situtaion they need to go to the ordinary ministers of the sacraments. Why cause the Church says so.

If the person is an adult they must desire to be baptized for it to have any effect as such baptizing people who do not want to be baptized is pointless.

Baptism is such an important thing and can only be done once and it must be done in a certain form to be valid are the main reasons I can think of as to why the ordinary minister of baptism is the priest.

Isn’t it also true that one can be baptized by desire without the actual ceremony? I’m not sure of the logistics of it but this was told to me by the lady who runs RCIA at the parish I plan to attend.

Yes one can be saved by desire of baptism, if one’s life is taken short during his/her catechetical stage of learning the faith on the road to baptism.

There is also baptism by blood, which saints and martyrs were baptised in such as the “good thief” on the cross with Jesus.

According to the OP’s commentary not the post heading. I think the word you may be looking for when one receives the sacrament of baptism is “the disposition of the person receiving the sacrament”.

A sacrament is something that “God joins together which no man can put asunder”. A valid sacrament can never be negated, no matter the character of the priest or the disposition of the person receiving the sacrament. The “act of God” He sets in motion when the sacrament is administered. Grant it, if the disposition of the recipient is believing and open to the gift, the recipient is graced and mercy given.

Now if the recipient’s disposition is not understanding or dis-believing, the valid sacrament is still administered upon the soul. The gift of graces and mercy are still given, but delayed until the recipient’s disposition comes to belief at this moment of coming to belief the graces are poured out upon him/her.

What is interesting is that many miracles are attributed to these lack of believing souls become believers when they receive their graces later in life. For example; when tragedy strikes or fear of death arises, that the soul calls out to God in belief while in despair and hope-less, that baptismal graces and mercy are poured forth upon the changed disposition of the recipient of the baptism.

In an infants baptism, the god parents and parents profess the baptism vows for the infant in their belief and faith, until the infant comes of age and says “yes” to God, his/her baptismal graces are poured out. A valid sacrament after administered can never be removed by man only rejected. An unbelief does not constitute a rejection, for in order to reject a sacrament, one has to come to the full understanding of what it is.

Peace be with you

Yes but as the name suggests you still have to desire baptism which means if you did not die before you could get baptized the desiring of baptism would normally lead to a baptism in the normal manner.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.