Sinful? and other questions

Here goes:

1. My friends and I watched “Taken” tonight on my roommate’s projector. The issue: I suspect the movie was a bootleg (as are certain other movies of his), and I felt it might be sinful for me to watch it without saying anything about it. Did I commit sin by watching a possible bootleg without correcting my friend on it?

2. My friends unfortunately share music with one another, something that (to the best of my knowledge) are violations of US copyright laws. My roommate also has certain movies that I suspect are bootlegged and downloaded illegally. Now I feel that my friends might not care about this fact, even though one of them did get in trouble for it before. From past experiences I feel that any attempt on my part to correct them would simply be ignored and ridiculed, and would ultimately accomplish nothing. I pray for them, but I am unsure if I should talk to them about it given the fact that my advice might ultimately fall by the wayside.

3. I need to read a case study for a class of mine, but it comes as part of a very pricey package that is downloaded from online. I found-out that I could obtain the case online by simply Googling the name of the case-study and read it while on the computer (without saving a copy). Would this be immoral? I would not download it, but simply read the document and close it when I was done; I would then answer various questions my professor wants us to do for homework.

Pax Tecum.

You suspected, but you did not know, so it was not a sin. It could be a real copy of the movie and not a bootleg. However, it is always good to ask beforehand, so that you might make your choice.

Certainly you will be riducled, but that is a cross, and crosses are gifts from God and shares in the hour of glory (death) of Jesus, and so, we must glory in the Cross of our Lord.

And who knows what happens in your friends’ hearts? Perhaps they will be changed, moved by the Holy Spirit?

For the class case, it depends. Do you have the money to purchase the study? If not, then getting it free would not be a sin but would be the providence of God, who always provides for us. If you do have the money, than ask your teacher if you can get the study for free, and obey him/her promptly.

It was probably a bootleg. No DVD intro, viewed off a flash drive, and it was a movie that is still in theaters (from what I understand). I hesitate to say it was definitely a bootleg (it was) because ultimately I am not my roommate and can’t know for sure.

Certainly you will be riducled, but that is a cross, and crosses are gifts from God and shares in the hour of glory (death) of Jesus, and so, we must glory in the Cross of our Lord.

And who knows what happens in your friends’ hearts? Perhaps they will be changed, moved by the Holy Spirit?

What should I say exactly? Should I wait until the topic comes-up again or approach my friends about it? It should be noted that one of my friends got fined by our school for illegally downloading stuff (and I think he may have stopped because of it), and he recently (I think) received shared music from another friend of mine.

For the class case, it depends. Do you have the money to purchase the study? If not, then getting it free would not be a sin but would be the providence of God, who always provides for us. If you do have the money, than ask your teacher if you can get the study for free, and obey him/her promptly.

As of now I have the money, but I do have certain financial obligations that would eliminate available money.

Kindly explain to him that sharing stolen music is participation in the stealing (I think the proper term is “compliance in crime”?).

One man’s refusal of evil may be the seed of rejection of evil in another man.

As of now I have the money, but I do have certain financial obligations that would eliminate available money.

Talk to the teacher about it, he or she should be able to help. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.