Sinful parts in sports?

I got a couple of questions whether some parts of some sports are sinful.

1.The dunking in the NBA. When a player dunks in the NBA, the dunk is mostly a humiliation of the opposite team. Even if the player doesn’t want to humiliate the opposite team, the crowds make sure they are. There are a lot of similar attractive moves in basketball that can humiliate the opposite team, so my question is, can we as observes watch this for fun, and can the basketball players do it without sinning?

2.Fake moves in sports. For example the player in football(soccer) is trying to score a goal, and he dribbles past an opposite player with a fake shot. That means that he fakes that he is going to shot, but really goes past him and scores. There are a lot of similar moves, and my question is, are this moves equivalent to lying?

No, these are not sinful.

If you are using sports as a socially acceptable outlet to spew hatred, then you are sinning. The other team are your brothers and sisters. They are Abraham’s sons and daughters. They are Mary’s children. However you treat them, good or ill, is how you treat Jesus Christ.

Feinting with your footwork in football is not lying. That’s half of the sport :stuck_out_tongue:

I was playing cards one night in a friendly game. I casually asked the woman next to me, “Katherine, you have any red threes?” She blandly replied, “No”. I played a card that certainly would win the game for me- - of course I was confident in the truthfulness of her reply. A Catholic woman wouldn’t “lie” in a game of cards now would she? Of course not. Never.

She played a red three, collected all the point and won the game. Her feminine smile slid out over lips. She replied, “I lied.” I felt foolish. You know the rule in card games, in sports and all competitions: “Don’t expect your opponents to tell you their secrets.” She slammed dunked that red three, after she passed it behind her back, while obscuring her deception in her bland reply. There was no lie- only friendly competition.

Ease up. The professionals know all the rules and the consequences if they break them. At the professional level, they have professional referees and lawyers to keep things in check.

This sounds like a scrupulous question to me. Sports are sports and games are games. They aren’t sinful. Pope JPII played them!

The worst I saw was when John Obi Mikel of Chelsea accused the referee of being racist towards him. The referee had his job on the line and everyone on tv treated him like he had already been found guilty. It turned out that it never happened. not that the footballer cared afterwards anyway.

Faking a shot is part of the game.

I was playing cards one night in a friendly game. I casually asked the woman next to me, “Katherine, you have any red threes?” She blandly replied, “No”. I played a card that certainly would win the game for me- - of course I was confident in the truthfulness of her reply. A Catholic woman wouldn’t “lie” in a game of cards now would she? Of course not. Never.

She played a red three, collected all the point and won the game. Her feminine smile slid out over lips. She replied, “I lied.” I felt foolish. You know the rule in card games, in sports and all competitions: “Don’t expect your opponents to tell you their secrets.”

Oh my gosh. I really laughed out loud at this one. :slight_smile: That is really funny.

Ok, I’m done…

…yeah, you can’t expect people to tell the truth when playing cards!

Im not asking if sports are sinful, im asking if parts that often accompany sports are sinful.

The dunk in basketball is not totally about humiliating the other team. It’s a high percentage shot, and also a little bit of showing off (vs a simple layup which would be another high percentage shot). Maybe it humiliates the other team, but maybe it gets them riled up to come right back down the court and do it to you. It’s part of competition.

Same with the fake shot in soccer, or a spin move in basketball, or a play-action pass in American football, and numerous other examples. These are perfectly legal ways to try to gain an advantage over your opponent by making them anticipate - incorrectly - what you’re trying to do.

What I would consider inappropriate are things that are more explicitly poor sportsmanship - things like the flopping and over-acting to draw a foul that is rampant in soccer and basketball, secretly using vaseline or licorice to doctor the ball in baseball, arguing up and down that a play should be ruled a catch when you know for certain that it hit the ground, or holding a player on the ground for a couple extra seconds to run down the clock. Not sure I would call that “sinful”, but it is poor sportsmanship. A fakeout or a spin move is not poor sportsmanship, but rather good strategy.

I think Bobby Jim’s post sums this all up pretty well.

To add a few of my own thoughts…

A dunk is a high percentage shot. It’s about as high percentage as you get, where you basically place the ball into the hoop. If I could dunk I would (but I can’t).

As for fake shots, passes, etc, it’s all part of the skill of the game. But if we wanted to over-analyse things and try to say why they are moral or not, we should remember when a crowd wanted to throw Jesus off a cliff and he managed to escape through the crowd. He slipped out, in much the same way that a soccer player might slip past a defender. The reason it’s not immoral is that the defender, much like the crowd, has no right to know the truth in terms of what the other is doing. The crowd had no right to know where Jesus was and how he evaded them, and the defender has no right to the truth as to what the attacking player will do.

But things like pretending to be fouled when you weren’t (diving, etc), deliberate time wasting, tying up opponents shoelaces (this happened in the NBA quite recently), shirt-pulling in soccer, deliberate holding in football, etc, would all fall well outside both the rules and the spirit of the rules of the given games. I would suggest, depending on intent and circumstances, that this is where actions in the sporting arena may cross over into actual sin.

humilliation on the dunk would deppend on the intention to be sinful, in this case, for example if you dunk it to show off a little i assume it is not a sin, or if you in a soccer game win by 7-0 because you want to please your fans, do your work, gain points, just playing your best, just like to score goals, etc. i doubt it is sinful and is up to the other team to react in anger or to be an oportunity to be humble, recognize that they are better than you, or that you are making mistakes, and to improve yourself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.